May 11 – May 13
Pitching match ups:
The Seattle Mariners are taking on the Yankees this weekend. Seattle fans should tune in for no other reason than to hear Yankee fans whine about losing Jesus Monetero.
Game 1: Matchup | Preview | Boxscore
Game 34: RHP – Felix Hernandez vs. RHP – Hiroki Kuroda
- Bring on the Yankee killer. Felix Hernandez has strong career numbers against the Bronx bombers especially in their home stadium.
- In his last 7 starts against NY Felix is 5-1 with a 2.13 ERA
- Current line 3-1 / 1.89 ERA / 14 BB / 51 SO / 0.94WHIP
- The Yankees have had a lot of question marks surrounding their starting pitchers this season, one of those question marks follow Kuroda’s name. This 37 year old is in the midst of his first season in the American league and has been struggling with the transition.
- Kuroda is 2-4 with a 3.75 ERA which follows his career numbers closely.
- Kuroda has faced the M’s offense before. He lost.
- Hector Noesi returns to New York, this time in a Seattle uniform. Noesi has struggled with control this season but is coming off of a good outing into a place he is comfortable pitching.
- Noesi’s last outing 7.0 innings, 4 hits, 3 walks, 5 strike outs and one earned run
- Noesi’s current ERA 6.30
- Hughes has pitched for the Yankees since 2007 and despite his career 4.60 ERA he has a good winning percentage with 38 wins to 27 Losses. It pays to have a good offense behind you.
- Hughes has not pitched well this season, he is currently holding a 6.67 ERA
- Since 2009 Hughes is 3-2 against Seattle with a 3.25 ERA
- Blake Beaven was hit in the elbow by a ball in his last outing and had to exit the game early. He is listed as the probable pitcher for the match up, but could be scratched in favor of Hisashi Iwakuma if the trainers feel Beaven’s injury is too severe for him to get his start.
- Beaven’s current line 1-3 / 4.32 ERA / 4 BB / 14 SO / 1.13 WHIP
- This will be Beaven’s first match up against New York
- This will be Pettitte’s first start of the season after pulling the Brett Farve and coming out of retirement and promising that he would make no such return. Pettitte is baseball’s most winningest pitcher and it will be interesting to see how a year off effects his performance on the field.
- In 2010 Pettitte was 11 and 3 with a 3.28 ERA
Happy Felix Day vs. The Yankees today
Coming off a good series against the Tigers and a day off with their ace on the mound against a team with pitching struggles and bad feelings about Michael Pineda…. Even if the M’s lose they win. Prediction: Win (Mariners 6 – Yankees 3)
Pretty even match up statistically, although Noesi doesn’t have a good track record for mental aptitude and New York fans are going to get to him… Prediction: Loss (Mariners 4 – Yankees 9)
Pettitte’s year off and minor league starts from this year don’t leave much to go off of, but the adrenaline will be flowing and I think the Mariners youngsters will have a hard time going up against the seasoned vet. Prediction: Loss (Mariners 1 – Yankees 4)More Mariners/Yankees News
New York 1B Mark Teixeira has pounded Hernandez (17-for-53, 5 HR, 9 RBIs), but 3B Alex Rodriguez (3-for-18, 5 K) has struggled against the Seattle ace.
Both teams have been among the best in baseball defensively — even with two errors Thursday, the Yankees are tied for the fewest in the majors with 12. Seattle ranks third with just 14 miscues.
The Mariners have dropped 40 of their last 58 away games, but they are 5-2 in Hernandez’s last seven starts on the road.
CLICK HERE CHECK OUT THE SEATTLE MARINERS CLUBHOUSE AT NWSB!
© Danny Ferguson for North West Sports Beat, 2012. | Permalink | No comment |
Follow NWSB on Twitter or join US on Facebook for real-time updates OR... | Share This on Twitter | Share NWSportsBeat.com on FacebookPost tags: Alex Liddi, Blake Beaven, Chone Figgins, Eric Wedge, Felix Hernandez, Hector Noesi, Hiroki Kuroda, Justin Smoak, Mariners blog, Mariners Predictions, Mariners vs. Yankees, Michael Saunders, MLB Series Preview, New York, New York Yankees, Seattle Mariners Blog, Seattle vs. New York, Series picks
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff