Final: Phillies 1, Marlins 0.
WP: Kyle Kendrick (5-9, 4.53 ERA) LP: Josh Johnson (7-9, 3.73 ERA) SV: Jonathan Papelbon (26)
Nothing really much happened in tonight's game except for stellar pitching, and a little power from Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins during the first few moments of tonight's action.
That's right, J-Roll provided the only offensive scoring for both teams combined in Tuesday night's game, as he hit his 41st career leadoff home run on a line drive over the right field fence. That wasn't the only statistical aspect that surrounded Jimmy tonight. With 1,731 career games played at shortstop, he has now passed Larry Bowa for most in Phillies franchise history.
Both Kyle Kendrick and Josh Johnson, tonight's starters, had their pitches going for them. Kendrick lasted seven innings, allowing zero runs and just five hits while striking out six batters. He threw 87 pitches, 61 of them for strikes. Johnson lasted a little longer, but suffered the loss as his team provided no offense in his support. He went eight innings, allowing three hits and one walk while striking out seven batters. Both teams combined to obtain only nine hits tonight down in Miami.
Jonathan Papelbon recorded his 26th save of 2012, 245th overall, mowing down the Miami Marlins in the ninth, even though he walked one batter.
Roy Halladay (6-6) will start in a Wednesday matinee tomorrow, looking for the sweep against former Chicago ace, Mark Buehrle (9-11). It will be the tenth time since 1990 that two perfect game pitchers oppose one another.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Kyle Kendrick: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 4.53 ERA
- Josh Johnson: 8.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 3.73 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Josh Lindblom (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.27 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.81 ERA
- Mike Dunn (9th): 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.78 ERA
- Steve Cishek (9th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.88 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 1, Marlins 0): Jimmy Rollins homers (14) on a line drive to right field.
- Wednesday, August 15, 2012; 12:40 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (54-62) at Miami Marlins (52-65)
- Roy Halladay (6-6, 3.80 ERA) vs. Mark Buehrle (9-11, 3.80 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff