12:40 p.m.: Jonny Gomes will be in the Red Sox’ starting lineup with left-hander Mark Buehrle on the hill. He’ll bat sixth and play left field.
There is a pretty big change to the Blue Jays’ lineup. Rajai Davis has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained oblique. Davis, who left Friday’s game, said the injury has been nagging him since earlier this week. Melky Cabrera will bat leadoff in Davis’ absence, and Jose Bautista will move up to the No. 2 spot — which is rather unconventional for such a power hitter.
The rest of Saturday’s lineups are below.
Red Sox (22-14)
Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
Shane Victorino, RF
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
David Ortiz, DH
Mike Napoli, 1B
Jonny Gomes, LF
Will Middlebrooks, 3B
Stephen Drew, SS
David Ross, C
Clay Buchholz, RHP (6-0, 1.60 ERA)
Blue Jays (13-24)
Melky Cabrera, LF
Jose Bautista, RF
Edwin Encarnacion, DH
J.P. Arencibia, C
Adam Lind, 1B
Brett Lawrie, 3B
Colby Rasmus, CF
Emilio Bonifacio, 2B
Munenori Kawasaki, SS
Mark Buehrle, LHP (1-2, 7.02 ERA)
12:15 p.m.: It’s official. Joel Hanrahan’s season is over.
Hanrahan said Saturday that after getting a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews, he has decided to undergo season-ending surgery. Hanrahan, who was transferred to the 60-day disabled list on Thursday, has a torn flexor muscle tendon.
The typical recovery time for surgery on the flexor muscle tendon is six- to nine months, but Hanrahan is not setting a timetable for his return to the mound at this point. There’s still a chance that doctors could determine he needs Tommy John surgery, which would lengthen the necessary recovery/rehab period. Hanrahan expects to undergo surgery sometime next week.
While the Red Sox now have some clarity regarding Hanrahan’s status, the reliever’s future is very much unclear. The 31-year-old is slated to become a free agent after this season, so there’s a chance he may have thrown his last pitch in Boston.
“Hopefully I’ll get another chance here maybe and I want to try to show the fans here what kind of pitcher I really am,” Hanrahan said Saturday. “This year has kind of been a wash. Now it’s definitely a wash. We’ll see where it takes me from there.”
8 a.m. ET: How do you follow up that performance?
Jon Lester twirled an absolute gem on Friday to open up the Red Sox’ weekend series against the Blue Jays. He went the distance and gave up just one hit — a sixth-inning double by Maicer Izturis — while blanking the Jays in a 5-0 victory. It helped the Sox stop a three-game skid, and it could help the club get back on track after losing six of seven.
Clay Buchholz will take the mound for Boston on Saturday. The last time he faced the Blue Jays, it was up in Toronto and he was accused of doctoring the baseball. He shut down the Jays in that game, though, and he’ll look to do the same while going up against Mark Buehrle.
Saturday’s first pitch is scheduled for 1:35 p.m. Be sure to keep it right here with NESN.com for all of the matinee fun.