Tons of action in the world of sports, so let’s jump right in.
There, there, TO, everything will be OK (Photo by Tony Gutierrez/AP)
1. Where in the world did this new and improved Mike Napoli come from?! I know everything is bigger in Texas, but the former mediocre Angel is coming up HUGE for the Rangers. After being known for his all-or-nothing hitting for most of his career, he has transformed himself into one of the best hitters in the American League, posting career highs in hits, runs, doubles, home runs, RBI, walks, (Let me pause to breathe) average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage, and OPS. Oh yeah, his batting average of .320 isn’t only his career high, but it’s almost .50 points higher than his previous high (.273), and over .80 points better than what he posted last season (.238)! If he isn’t the most improved player in the AL…then…I’m sure another worthy player will be. Oh well, I’m sure he’ll settle for a World Series ring.
2. John Lackey will miss the entire 2012 season because of Tommy John surgery. What will the Red Sox do without him?? Win?
3. What is Terrell Owens thinking? The former NFL superstar and current drama king held a workout on Tuesday to showcase his health and abilities, with the hopes that scouts, GMs, and owners would flock to see him. Hmm. I’m sure it sounded good when he laid out the plans, but once he realized that not one NFL team showed up, his feelings had to be at least a little hurt. Poor guy.
4. Just when you think you know an NFL team, they go off and do something completely ridiculous and unexpected. I am, of course, referring to the Ravens laying a giant egg against the hapless Jaguars. Yes, the same Jaguars that had lost five straight, held Baltimore to just seven points, which came in the final minutes of the game. The Ravens looked absolutely awful on Monday night, going the entire first half without a first down. Figure it out, Baltimore. You can’t blow the easy ones if you want a chance to play the tough ones in January and February.
Seriously dude...stop crying
5. Breaking news…NBA players and owners suck. Get a deal done, think long and hard about how to win over all the fans that no longer respect you, and start playing basketball again. I’m not talking about world tours or charity games…I want NBA games that actually count. If we wanted to watch a bunch of “superstars” get together and stink up the court, we would watch highlights of the 2011 Miami Heat.
6. What is going on with college football? A couple teams decide to join a new conference and all of a sudden every team wants to find greener pastures? With 9,315 teams, college football was already hard enough to follow. Now that just about every team is changing conferences, I give up. Between all of the school movement and teams wearing a different uniform every week to make a fashion statement, I don’t know who is who anymore. Remember when college football was about…college football?
7. Watching hockey is way more entertaining than I thought it would be. Maybe it’s because I lose track of the puck a lot, but I get excited every time someone takes a shot. When I can’t find the puck, I just figure one of the happy guys with his hands in the air found the back of the net.
8. This is getting kind of uncomfortable for me. I just want Terrell Owens to stop crying. Will someone please give this guy a chance?