In the NBA there’s certian skills that some just have a knack for, stealing is one of them. Most kids grow up being taught that stealing is wrong. Not in this aspect these players were just good at taking things away from others. Let’s dive in and take a look at some of these skilled players…
5. Maurice Cheeks PG, He put up some amazing numbers. Especially in the steal category averaging 2.1 steals a game for his entire career! He ended up totaling 2,310 steals over his entire career which is right now good for fifth best of all time. He also averaged 11.1 points and 6.7 assists for his career to go with those steals. Cheeks is currently the assistant coach for the Oklahoma City Thunder, where i’m sure he is passing on his knowledge to All Star Russell Westbrook. Cheeks is definitely not a bad mentor to have.
4. Gary Payton PG, Nicknamed the “Glove” and rightfully so, for his career he averaged 1.83 steals for his career. Thing about Payton that sticks in peoples minds is that he didn’t get his championship ring until he paired with Dwyane Wade and Shaquille Oneal in 2006. Part of that trend to basically find somewhere to go to get a ring before you retire trend that all major sports are into. Payton is the only point guard to win NBA defensive player of the year and he holds records in Seattle for points, assists, and steals. Payton had a total of 2,4445 steals, averaged 16.3 points and 6.7 assists for his career.
3. Michael Jordan SG/SF, His airness comes in third on this list even though his arguably the best player of all time. If I put all of Jordan’s accomplishments on here you would be reading for days. For his career he averaged 2.35 steals per game. He also won multiple championships, but on the darker side of things owns a Charlotte Bobcat team that can’t find their way. Jordan had a total of 2,514 steals, averaged 30.1 points, 6.2 rebounds and 5.3 assists for his career. No reason why he shouldn’t be the best player ever for years to come.
2. Jason Kidd PG, Are you surprised? Kidd is probably one of the most versatile points that ever played the game, he is a walking triple double. Not so much anymore, Kidd should have retired after winning his championship ring with the Dallas Mavericks in 2011. Unfortunately he has recently joined the New York Knicks and besides getting a DUI i’m sure the Knicks want to see if he still has something left in the tank. Kidd averages currently 1.95 steals per game for his career. With a total of 2,559 steals Kidd will be in this second spot for a while, he doesn’t have a chance to catch the person who’s number one overall. Kidd shouldn’t be in the league much longer. He currently averages 13 points, 7 rebounds and 9 assists for his career.
1. John Stockton PG, Arguably the best point guard of all time… do you agree? Stockton is comfortably in the lead and it will be a while until someone catches him. Most known for his pick and roll clinic that he displayed with Karl Malone, Stockton nor Malone was able to get a championship ring because of Jordan. I’m sure he would trade all the stats for that championship ring. Stockton totaled a whopping 3,265 steals which like i said will stay safe for a while. For his career 13 points 10 assists and 2.2 steals per game.
So what do you think of the list? Agree or disagree? The question is that out of all the current NBA players will anyone ever challenge Stockton for the top spot? Feel free to comment below!