Stop me when you have heard this before: The proposed blockbuster deal between the Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics is pretty much dead.
Both teams should have known that this potential mega deal was not permitted under league rules, as they were informed as much earlier in the week, multiple league sources said. CBSSports.com’s Ken Berger first reported the news that the teams were informed of the illegality of the deal.
Commissioner David Stern appeared on multiple radio shows around the country Thursday and basically said that the NBA league office would veto any trade between the two teams in its current state.
“The teams are aware that the collective bargaining agreement doesn’t authorize trades involving coaches’ contracts,” Stern told ESPN Radio in New York.
One high-ranking person in the league office also said Thursday that it does not appear that the current proposal on the table follows the guidelines the current collective bargaining agreement se...