Originally posted on Pro Sports Daily  |  Last updated 10/17/13
A lot of debate has happened over whether or not LeBron James is a guy you'd want taking clutch shots if the game your life or all of humanity was on the line. Guys like Carmelo Anthony Kobe Bryant Dirk Nowitzki and others are people you're supposed to want to pick to take that shot in today's NBA. Michael Jordan Larry Bird Robert Horry and Reggie Miller are historic figures that are supposed to be the selection for the mythical clutch shot. LeBron James is dismissed by a lot of fans as an option for that shot because he doesn't have as many memorable game-winners as some of the other options. Despite being the best player in the NBA James can't seem to get that honor. He can't even get it from his peers in the NBA either. According to ESPN 26 anonymous players were polled on whether they'd want LeBron Jordan or Kobe taking the final shot of a game. Nobody picked LeBron in this situation. While almost one-quarter of the 26 players who participated in an ESPN The Magazine poll think LeBron James will finish as the best NBA player ever none of them would want him taking the last shot if Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant were also on the floor. James received decidedly mixed reviews from the players all of whom were granted anonymity in the poll conducted for the magazine's NBA preview issue. Asked which player they wanted to take the last shot with the clock winding down and a game on the line 88 percent of the players picked Jordan with Bryant getting the other 12 percent. "That's like ranking the shortest giant" an Eastern Conference guard said. "I'd want the ball in LeBron's hands at the end of the game but I'd want him to pass to Kobe or Jordan for the last shot. And don't forget LeBron is not a great free throw shooter either." There was one vote for Mario Chalmers but Mario Chalmers declined comment on whether or not he participated in the poll (this may or may not be something I just made up). Should LeBron be offended that his fellow NBAers wouldn't select him if the options were Jordan Kobe and LeBron? Possibly. It's kind of hard to argue with the overwhelming majority of the players selecting Jordan who is the greatest competitor in NBA history the greatest player in NBA history and one of the greatest clutch performers sports has ever seen. The other 12 percent selecting Kobe isn't that surprising either because he's regularly at the top of player polls for final shot duties.
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45

John Farrell: Ortiz's retirement announcement 'bittersweet'

Mark McGwire expected to be named Padres bench coach

Belichick on Peyton Manning benching: 'It's not our decision'

Report: Baylor's Jarrett Stidham out for regular season

Reporter believes Browns are 'ready to move on' from Manziel

Slow start not a problem for Utah Jazz


Marshawn Lynch to be out a month following hernia surgery

Report: MLB in serious talks about hosting games in London

Agent for Eagles player: Chip Kelly has lost the team

Report: Man dies after Mirror Lake jump at Ohio State

Patriots owner defends officials: ‘They’re not robots’

Joseph Randle arrested for allegedly assaulting officer

NBA News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

By clicking "Sign Me Up", you have read and agreed to the Fox Sports Digital Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can opt out at any time. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
Get it now!
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45

Blue Jays fans create website in effort to keep David Price

The five most overrated teams in the Week 13 coaches' poll

10 storylines for Week 13 of the college football season

Ranking the 10 best games of 2015 college football rivalry week

Examining the Mavericks' hot start

Johnny Bench(ed): Manziel demoted to third string

Mike Trout, four years in

Tom Brady on ‘Rex Ryan!’ line call: It’s ‘in the playbook’

Five NFL teams trending downward

Not so fast, USC: Eagles Chip Kelly buys Philly-area home

Today's Best Stuff
For Publishers
Company Info
Follow Yardbarker