Found March 02, 2013 on
Waiting For Next Year:
It’s now officially been 39 days since Chris Grant’s latest act of wizardry, rounding out an actually complete bench for the Cleveland Cavaliers thanks to the help of the Memphis Grizzlies.
Over these 39 days, the narrative has changed drastically for the 2012-13 Cavs season: Instead of a distraught and meaningless season ruined by Anderson Varejao’s injury, the youngins are playing their best basketball of the season. Optimism for the future is high and that is because of the significantly improved play of Dion Waiters/Tristan Thompson, the fan-friendly energy and success of the bench guys, and, of course, some occasional heroics from Kyrie Irving.
To gain a better understanding of what exactly the team has looked like during this 9-7 record and 16-game stretch, I present to you a table of statistics for the 13 players to log at least 1 minute in a Cavaliers uniform since Jan. 25:
And here are some quick-hit notes on what I see in that table and elsewhere:
– Dion Waiters‘ efficiency has been the story of the stretch. In the 21-year-old rookie’s first 35 games of the season, he only had a 42.6% efficiency field goal percentage. So yeah, that’s a 10-percent jump. Is that enough proof yet? He could be really good.
– One of the knocks on Tristan Thompson‘s ceiling was that many doubted whether he could consistently average a double-double. Well, he’s at 14.9 points and 11.5 rebounds per 36 minutes overall since Andy has been out. He’s proving it too.
– As I mentioned before, one of the most notable aspects of the Cavs’ improvements when it comes to the noted Four Factors is their significant upgrade in turnover rate. Overall, here’s the A/TO breakdown: 1.33 before the trade (29th in the NBA), 1.85 since the trade (tied for best in the NBA).
– This shouldn’t be too surprising considering my stat about his Paul Millsap-esque splits prior to his arrival, but Marresse Speights has a very high usage rate in Cleveland. He only trails Irving with 16.9 FGA per 36 mins. He’s getting all the chances — and performing quite well.
– Net Rating, the final statistic in the table above, might be the one that’s not clear. It is the estimated +/- per 100 possessions for each player on the team. Obviously, one can quickly tell the large numbers for the bench — notably Ellington, Miles, Walton and Livingston. Again to clarify, +/- is not a perfect tool at all. It’s not that meaningful. But, just for fun, here are some +/- stats I noted after Tuesday’s game at Chicago:
Ellington is a +64 in his last 9 games
Walton is a +50 in his last 11 games
Miles is a +49 in his last 12 games
Livingston is a +43 in his last 14 games
[Related: Cool, calm and collected, Luke Walton leads Cavaliers’ crafty reserves]
BEST OF MAXIM
News broke during tonight’s Cavs-Clippers game that Cleveland rookie Dion Waiters was awarded the February nod for the Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month. Here is the official release from the team:
“CLEVELAND – Cleveland Cavaliers guard Dion Waiters was named today as the Kia NBA Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month for games played in the month of February.
Cavaliers All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving is expected to play against New York after missing Cleveland's past three games with a hyperextended right knee.
Irving made it through a full practice on Sunday and took part in the Cavs' morning shootaround Monday. Barring any setbacks, Cavs coach Byron Scott said Irving will start against the Knicks. The Cavs rested Irving all...
CLEVELAND -- Well, this much is clear about the Cavaliers: They havent arrived.
We already knew that going into their 105-89 loss to the visiting Clippers on Friday night. But this one put a couple exclamation points and a frowny face at the end.
The Cavs were outsmarted, outhustled, outmanned and out of luck after winning four of their previous five.
Now, nothing wrong with losing...
It’s been out there for at least a week, but we haven’t explicitly stated it yet on WFNY: Greg Oden, former No. 1 pick and possible free agent to a number of NBA teams, is unlikely to sign until the summer.
Initially, the report might have been first listed in Yahoo! Sports’ Marc Spears’ power rankings on Feb. 19. It had seemed earlier last month that Oden was leaning toward...
Acquired via trade from the Memphis Grizzlies on January 22, guard Josh Selby was waived by the Cleveland Cavaliers Sunday, March 3. The second year player did not appear in any games for the Cavs, but in 11 games with their D-League affiliate, he averaged 15.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.2 assists.
According to Cavs.com:
The Cleveland Cavaliers have waived forward Josh Selby, Cavaliers...
After backing out of his D-League contract in February, Delonte West has changed him mind and will report to the Texas Legends Monday, realizing it may be his only road back to the NBA.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports:
With NBA teams uneasy about taking a risk on his past behavioral issues, free-agent guard Delonte West intends to report to the Texas Legends of the...
Tayshaun Prince had 14 points and Marc Gasol added 12 points and 11 rebounds as the Memphis Grizzlies cruised to a 108-82 victory over the Orlando Magic on Sunday night.
The Grizzlies, who have won nine of their last 10 games, led by as many as 32 points and had six players in double figures. Sunday was their first of five straight games against teams with losing records.
After dishing out a career high 13 assist, Marc Gasol spoke to the media about winning on the road, the importance of winning games against teams over .500, and playing with energy during games.
sr_adspace_id = 1000001551307;
sr_adspace_width = 728;
sr_adspace_height = [...]
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Tayshaun Prince had 14 points and Marc Gasol added 12 points and 11 assists as the Memphis Grizzlies cruised to a 108-82 victory over the Orlando Magic on Sunday night.
The Grizzlies, who have won nine of their last 10 games, led by as many as 32 points and had six players in double figures. Sunday was their first of five straight games against teams with losing...
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Tayshaun Prince had 14 points and Marc Gasol added 12 points and 11 rebounds as the Memphis Grizzlies cruised to a 108-82 victory over the Orlando Magic on Sunday night.
The Grizzlies, who have won nine of their last 10 games, led by as many as 32 points and had six players in double figures. Sunday was their first of five straight games against teams with...
Game time: Sunday at 6 p.m.
TV: FOX Sports Florida (pregame at 5:30 p.m.)
After falling short of surpassing the longest win streak in franchise history, the Memphis Grizzlies would appear to have a good chance to start another run.
The Grizzlies begin a string of five games against sub-.500 opponents as they visit the Orlando Magic on Sunday night.
Memphis had won eight in a row...
Red-hot Miami Heat and Memphis Grizzlies face off
The Los Angeles Clippers are one of the top road teams in the NBA.
Whether that will help the Pacific Division leaders win their first game in Cleveland in more than a decade remains to be seen.
Los Angeles will try to end a 10-game road losing streak in this series on Friday night when the improving Cavs could be without All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving for a third consecutive...