Growing up, my parents always told me, ” You can tell a lot about a man by the way he dresses.” For that reason, I always try to keep an eye out for the different draft day suits worn by athletes about to be welcomed into the world of professional sports. With the first round of the NFL Draft taking place last night, here’s a breakdown of the fashion statements made by the Class of 2013′s elite:
1. Chiefs – Eric Fisher, B-
Nothing overly flashy or bold from the top pick this year, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Overall, Fisher’s ensemble worked fairly well.
2. Jaguars – Luke Joeckel, B
Again, nothing flashy but a nice, well put-together suit and worn very well last night. Kind of on the boring side, but nothing to really complain about.
3. Dolphins (from Raiders) - Dion Jordan, B
The bowtie is a risky play, but it worked out well for Jordan. It”s a really colorful suit that has a lot of pop to it and the bowtie ended up being a nice accent to the Dolphins color scheme, which is an added bonus.
4. Eagles – Lane Johnson, F
Way too much gray and black going on here, just a really flat look. Hate it.
5. Lions – Ziggy Ansah, C-
It’s not a bad traditional suit, but doesn’t really fit at the NFL Draft. More like a funeral suit.
Plus, points off for lensless 3D glasses:
6. Browns – Barkevious Mingo, A+
I don’t know if Mingo knew he was going to the Browns, but his suit’s color scheme would certainly indicate so. His attire matched the Browns colors perfectly and the suit was very well-tailored. Great tie, great jacket, great shirt, nice pocket square. Pretty much flawless.
7. Cardinals – Jonathan Cooper, C
Not a huge fan of the blue tie over that shirt but not a terrible look. Still, much room for improvement.
8. Rams (from Bills) - Tavon Austin, D+
Austin showed up looking more like a bad local news anchor rather than a first round NFL draft pick. Even Ron Burgundy would be embarrassed to be seen in that much burgundy.
9. Jets – Dee Milliner, B
Milliner rocked a solid getup accented with some serious bling on the wrist. The tie looked a little sloppy, but otherwise a very nice look.
10. Titans – Chance Warmack, C
So much potential for a great suit here, but in the end a major letdown. Warmack would have looked fantastic and gotten one of the night’s highest grades if this was all you saw:
Unfortunately, we saw this:
The great shirt and tie combo with a really nice pocket square was squashed by an ugly two-pocket jacket buttoned horribly and a belt that looks like a fourth-grader’s.
11. Chargers – D.J. Fluker, C+
Not a huge fan of the colors here but that might just be a personal preference. It was worn very well, just didn’t really do much for me.
12. Raiders (from Dolphins) - D.J. Hayden, Did Not Attend
13. Jets (from Bucs) – Sheldon Richardson, B
Nothing really flashy here but the shirt and tie combo gave a bold look that I dug.
14. Panthers – Star Lotulelei, Did Not Attend
15. Saints – Kenny Vaccaro, D+
I thought that I liked this look when I first saw it, but I hated it more and more every time I saw it. That vest is ugly as hell and just doesn’t really work for the NFL Draft, plus the watch is a little much. Back to the drawing board, Kenny.
16. Bills (from Rams) – E.J. Manuel, B+
The first quarterback off the board was also the first pick rocking a sweet pinstriped jacket. Big fan of the pink tie as well.
17. Steelers – Jarvis Jones, Did Not Attend
18. 49ers (from Cowboys) – Eric Reid, B+
Really liked the soft blue on Reid last night and the suit was worn very well overall. Some bonus points for the sexy gold watch too.
19. Giants – Justin Pugh, Did Not Attend
20. Bears – Kyle Long, Did Not Attend
21. Bengals – Tyler Eifert, Did Not Attend
22. Falcons (from Redskins through Rams) - Desmond Trufant, Did Not Attend
23. Vikings – Shariff Floyd, B-
Kind of on the boring side, but a classicly nice suit worn by Floyd last night. I really liked the pocket square and thought it brought the whole look together.
24. Colts – Bjoern Werner, C-
Booooooring. Not a huge fan of the skinny tie on large-framed NFL players and that pocket square looks like a dinner napkin from a crappy restaurant. It’s a very Ben Wyatt-esque look, and that’s not a compliment.
25. Vikings (from Seahawks) – Xavier Rhodes, B
It’s a suit more fit for a campaign trail than an NFL Draft night, but it’s a great suit nonetheless. I’m a big fan of the power red tie.
26. Packers – Datone Jones, Did Not Attend
27. Texans – DeAndre Hopkins, Did Not Attend
28. Broncos – Sylvester Williams, Did Not Attend
29. Vikings (from Patriots) – Cordarrelle Patterson, A-
There’d be a cold day in hell before I could pull off this look, but Patterson did it and did it well last night. Great jacket, awesome bowtie, fresh Louie Vitton belt, flashy watch. Nailed it.
30. Rams – Alec Ogletree, Did Not Attend
31. Cowboys (from 49ers) – Travis Frederick, Did Not Attend
32. Ravens – Matt Elam, Did Not Attend
Article found on: Next Impulse Sports