Found February 07, 2014 on
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has all but confirmed he will stand for a fifth term of office.
Blatter had said he would retire next year but has now indicated he will stand again if asked to do so by member associations - a formal announcement is expected at the FIFA Congress in Sao Paulo in June.
The 77-year-old has called on the International Olympic Committee to scrap its age limits and says he still has work to do in football.
He told Swiss broadcaster RTS: "I'm healthy and I do not see why I should stop working, especially as the consolidation of FIFA needs to continue.
"If the member associations ask me to be a candidate I would not say no."
On age limits, which is also on the agenda at FIFA, he added: "In terms of human rights, an age limit is discrimination."
The only person to announce so far that he will stand for the presidency is former FIFA deputy general secretary Jerome Champagne, but the Frenchman has admitted he would not be able to beat Blatter in an election and is likely to withdraw.
UEFA president Michel Platini is considering his options but is almost certain not to challenge Blatter.
BEST OF MAXIM
Sepp Blatter says he would seek re-election as FIFA president if the member federations ask him.
In an interview with Swiss state broadcaster RTS shown on Friday, Blatter outlined what it would take to stand again in a May 2015 poll. He would be 79 then.
''I'm not announcing now that I'm going to be a candidate, but if the member associations asked me to be a candidate...
FIFA President Sepp Blatter says imposing age limits on sports administrators is an ''act of discrimination.''
The 77-year-old Swiss spoke out Thursday in a debate on whether to change the 70-year age limit for members of the International Olympic Committee.
While many members said the age should be raised to 75, Blatter said the rule should be scrapped altogether...
FIFA president Sepp Blatter says only illness will prevent him from running for the organisation’s leadership for a fifth time. […]
Curitiba is expected to remain in the World Cup despite stadium construction delays, according to Brazil Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo.
He visited Curitiba on Wednesday and said he is confident local organizers will be able to show FIFA the stadium will be ready by June for its four matches. FIFA said a decision on whether to drop the city will be made on Feb. 18.