Found January 17, 2013 on
Joey Styles recently joined the VOC Nation Radio Network to discuss several WWE related topics. Here are some highlights:
On the current state of wrestling commentary: “If I was able to [feed lines to the announcers], do you think that the announcing would sound like it does? [When I quit Raw] that was absolutely straight shooting at its finest. That was exactly how I felt.”
On Paul Heyman going into the Hall of Fame: “I don’t think (it will happen this year at Madison Square Garden). Because Paul is now an active performer on the WWE roster, managing the top heel in the company, it would be hard to separate the person that he is from the character he plays on TV. I can’t think of a person who deserves it more. He has one hell of a hall-of-fame resume.”
On Ric Flair’s recent WWE TV appearances: “I think Ric is a little toned down. He is at least 60-years old. He doesn’t like to follow scripts, either. When I interviewed Ric on WWE.com a few weeks ago, it was the most low-key, relaxed, Ric Flair that I’ve ever seen. Maybe he’s slowing down and just starting to enjoy himself a little.”
On the Honkytonk Man’s accusations that Flair sold the Rolex that Shawn Michaels gave him: “Did you see on Monday Night Raw that Ric made sure to point out the watch (that Michaels gave him)?”
On whether or not Flair will wrestle again in WWE: “Oh God, no. They can get around the storyline retirement by calling it an ‘unsanctioned street fight’ similar to what Hogan did, but I certainly don’t want to see Ric in the ring with guys who are a third of his age. I don’t want to see him get hurt.”
On part-time talent headlining Wrestlemania: “You can make an argument for or against anything; it may take the spotlight off of some younger people, but you can also argue that the overall spotlight may not be as bright without The Rock or Brock Lesnar. You cannot overstate the effect that the Rock has on the audience watching WWE. Since the Rock has been on the show, the traffic on WWE.com is up, and the ratings have averaged over 3.0 both weeks. He brings a whole other audience in that may not normally watch WWE, and helps put more of a spotlight on everybody. It’s not like he left on bad terms, he left to become one of the biggest stars in the world.”
On his role in the WWE: “I am part of a team at WWE.com; I don’t run WWE.com. A lot of people think that I’m in charge there and I’m not.”
On the WWE embracing social media: “Whatever new technology or technique is developed for connecting with your fans, we jump into it. It’s very interesting and makes things busy for all of us.”
On whether Stone Cold Steve Austin will be at Wrestlemania: ”To my knowledge he is not going to be at Wrestlemania, but then again, I’m not privy to those conversations.”
BEST OF MAXIM
- Ric Flair is currently booked for the January 21st WWE RAW from San Jose, California and the January 22nd SmackDown tapings in Sacramento. The Rock is also booked for those two shows. Flair will leave for All Japan Pro Wrestling right after the SmackDown tapings.
Flair is still working on a per-night deal with WWE but could be signing something more solid soon. Believe it or not...
- Former WWE Superstar The Honky Tonk Man recently spoke with Kayfabe Wrestling Radio. Here are some highlights from the interview.
Working in Calgary before coming to the WWE: “I was still very active in Calgary; in fact, I was the North American Heavyweight Champion I think at that point in time, or if I’m not mistaken… yeah, I think I was because Ron Starr, my partner, we...
Partial Source: Pwinsider
– WWE.com has posted a video of Ric Flair teaching Ricardo Rodriguez how to ‘WOOOO!,’ which you can watch here.
– Randy Orton will be signing at the 2013 Wizard World St. Louis Comic Con on Friday, March 22nd.
– Geoff sent this one in:.I was looking over the presale for the upcoming WWE House Show in Bridgeport, CT today and noticed they are now...
- Big Show gets the Superstar Spotlight on WWE’s website today.
- WWE’s Stephanie McMahon and David Otunga honored members of the United States Army at Fort George G. Meade in Maryland on Tuesday. McMahon, a member of the USO-Metro Board of Directors, and Otunga were there for a ribbon cutting ceremony at a new recreation center. They presented Installation Commander Col. Edward...
- Jim Ross noted on Twitter that his JR's BBQ company is working on releasing a hot sauce and a wing sauce.
- Former WWE star Funaki was backstage at last night's WWE SmackDown tapings in San Antonio, Texas. He lives in the area. Here is a photo of he and Natalya:
- The Miz tweeted the following about his RAW segment with Ric Flair:
"Thanks @RicFlairNatrBoy for...
- Jim Ross noted on Twitter that his JR’s BBQ company is working on releasing a hot sauce and a wing sauce.- Former WWE star Funaki was backstage at last night’s WWE SmackDown tapings in San Antonio, Texas. He lives in the area. Here is a photo of he and Natalya:- The Miz tweeted the following about his RAW segment with Ric Flair:“Thanks @RicFlairNatrBoy for making a dream...
To follow up on our earlier report, TNA’s lawsuit against WWE was officially ended yesterday with TNA voluntarily withdrawing the lawsuit. According to a document that was filed on Tuesday, TNA informed the court that both sides agreed to cover their own legal costs.
The lawsuit stems from WWE informing TNA that former employee Brian Wittenstein had handed over a flash drive containing...
WWE want Lesnar for another year:
The Wrestling Observer is reporting that WWE have offered Brock Lesnar a new contract for when his current deal expires after Wrestlemania.
As previously reported Lesnar’s decision to re-sign will likely affect the outcome of his match at the mega event; the company are unlikely to put him over if he’s not going to stick around.
TNA has dropped the lawsuit that they filed against WWE last year. As most of you know by now, the lawsuit had been filed after Brian Wittenstein, a former TNA employee who had left the company and moved to WWE, had attempted to supply information he had stolen from TNA about talent contracts and other information. WWE had notified TNA but when Ric Flair tried to get out of his contract...
- Ric Flair and others are featured on the latest episode of The JBL & Michael Cole Show:
- Below is the latest episode of WWE’s Backstage Fallout from last night’s SmackDown:
- As noted, WWE Legend Superstar Billy Graham was hospitalized earlier this week due to double pneumonia. NetNewsLedger.com reports that Graham’s wife says he has began to show signs of heart failure...
- WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair spoke to children at Chickamauga Elementary School in Georgia on Thursday.
- Right after Monday’s RAW, Dolph Ziggler will be flying to Australia to do promotional work for WWE.
- The Miz revealed on this week’s episode of WWE Main Event that he will be in the 30-man Royal Rumble match.
- We noted before that WWE officials had discussions about CM...
- As noted, the January 14th episode of WWE RAW did a 3.19 rating with 4.54 million viewers. This was the biggest audience for RAW since the 1,000th episode on July 23rd, 2012.In the segment breakdown, they opened strong with Vince McMahon, Big Show and Alberto Del Rio doing a 3.44 quarter rating. Wade Barrett vs. Randy Orton lost 171,000 viewers, which is good considering how strong...
– The following is a list of superstar names, dates & times scheduled for VIP sessions during this year’s WrestleMania AXXESS events. You can purchase tickets beginning next week via Ticketmaster.com:
Thursday, April 4 – Session 6:00pm-10:00pm
Friday, April 5 – Session 6:00pm-10:00pm
Saturday, April 6 – Session 8:00am-12:00pm
- Ric Flair and others are featured on the latest episode of The JBL & Michael Cole Show:- Below is the latest episode of WWE’s Backstage Fallout from last night’s SmackDown:- As noted, WWE Legend Superstar Billy Graham was hospitalized earlier this week due to double pneumonia. NetNewsLedger.com reports that Graham’s wife says he has began to show signs of heart failure...