
Transformers were popular toys among ‘80s and ‘90s kids, and it gave us a popular cartoon as well. In fact, an animated Transformers movie gave Orson Welles his last role. In the 2000s, Transformers hit the big screen, but live action this time. Well, with live-action people. They didn’t hire any actual Transformers. These 20 facts about Transformers are not robots in disguise. Trust us.
More must-reads:
+
Get the latest news and rumors, customized to your favorite sports and teams. Emailed daily. Always free!
The Kansas City Chiefs' postseason aspirations suffered a massive blow after losing to the Dallas Cowboys 31-28 on Thursday. The loss dropped the reigning AFC champions to 6-6 on the season, leaving them with virtually no margin for error. The officiating made numerous questionable calls that may have favored Jerry Jones' team. However, the lack of discipline and numerous penalties have been a hallmark of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid's teams for years. Chiefs' lack of discipline will cost them a playoff spot Per OPTA Stats, the Chiefs committed five pass interference penalties in the second half alone, four of them on defense. That's the most PI penalties by any NFL team in the second half of a game in the past 35 years. When asked about it, Reid said they needed to be better in that regard, something he's said at least a dozen times this season. Then, he actually stood by the way his players tried to cover wide receivers CeeDee Lamb and George Pickens: "I'm not always going to agree with the calls, but the calls were made," Reid said, per Charles Goldman. "They've got some big physical receivers, and my guys were fighting. You've got to stay aggressive against those guys. That's the way you do it." Granted, some of the calls were terrible, but this has been a frequent talking point with the Chiefs. Even if he actually agrees with the defensive players' approach to covering those two guys — which clearly didn't work, as they combined for 200 yards and one score — the lack of adjustments and accountability will ultimately doom this team this season.
The Detroit Lions can't catch a break. On Saturday, the Lions announced that center Frank Ragnow, who earlier this week came out of retirement to rejoin the team for the stretch run, failed a physical and won't be returning this season after all. Per Detroit's social media account, Ragnow's medical check-up revealed a Grade 3 hamstring strain, eliminating the possibility of the four-time Pro Bowler playing this season. Ragnow, 29, left the game with seemingly plenty left in the tank, and his injury setback is another brutal blow for a Lions team that is starting to look cursed. Frank Ragnow's hamstring injury halts comeback before it even begins Detroit has been dealing with several injuries up front along the offensive line, and Ragnow's potential return would have provided stability to a unit that that's become the team's weak link. In Thursday's 31-24 home loss to the Green Bay Packers (8-3-1), Lions quarterback Jared Goff was pressured on 36.7 percent of his drop-backs and sacked three times, via Pro Football Focus. Graham Glasgow, who replaced Ragnow at center this offseason, missed the game with a knee injury. The Lions are also without left guard Christian Mahogany (leg), further depleting the team's depth. Without Ragnow, Detroit must get more creative in figuring out a way to mask its weakness up front if it's to reach the playoffs in a third consecutive season for just the second time in the Super Bowl era. At 7-5, the Lions are a game behind the San Francisco 49ers (8-4) for the NFC's final wild-card spot. On Thursday, they host the Dallas Cowboys (6-5-1) in a potential elimination game for the loser. Ragnow's return would have provided a huge boost at the perfect time, fortifying Detroit in the interior of the line of scrimmage. It was the perfect solution to a growing problem. But as has often been the case this season, when it comes to the Lions, it's never that easy.
Edmonton Oilers superstar Connor McDavid struggled to find the words to describe the team’s 8-3 loss to the Dallas Stars on Tuesday night. The decision dropped the Oilers’ record to 10-10-5 for the season, and McDavid looked defeated during his postgame interview. The more things change, the more they stay the same for the Oilers. Why did Connor McDavid stay? The Oilers are grappling with the same issues that have plagued them since McDavid joined the NHL in the fall of 2015. Edmonton’s secondary offensive support for McDavid and Leon Draisaitl is minimal, and their goaltending remains a significant concern. Considering the Oilers have faced these problems for so long, it makes one wonder why a generational talent like McDavid chose to sign on for two more years of this, especially given the bargain he struck when he signed for just $12.5M a season. McDavid’s choice to sign with Edmonton before even considering free agency might become one of the biggest “what-ifs” in NHL history. However, McDavid opted for stability in a familiar market, with a team that has been competitive for most of his NHL career. Ultimately, McDavid decided to stay loyal to the Oilers, but the two-year term seemed like a warning shot to Edmonton. So far, that warning appears to have fallen on deaf ears. The timing of McDavid’s extension was quite unusual. The superstar had a clear route to unrestricted free agency, which could have been one of the most incredible stories in NHL history if it had come to pass. McDavid had the chance to be the highest-profile player in NHL history to reach free agency since Wayne Gretzky in 1996. He held leverage against the Oilers and could have waited out the season, sparking a bidding war for his services. This would have boosted his star power and changed what a superstar’s career could look like. Instead, McDavid chose familiarity, even though the timing of his decision wasn’t convenient. Connor McDavid's decision to re-sign could be costly McDavid’s signing has delayed his free agency by 24 months, and some people dismiss this decision by arguing that McDavid will still get paid and reach free agency after the salary cap has significantly increased. While both points have some truth, the counterargument is compelling. Instead of becoming a free agent at 29, McDavid will do so at 31. It might seem minor, but many NHLers see their skills decline after 30. Another factor is that when McDavid finally signs, the new CBA rules on contract length will apply, meaning the maximum deal with his current team will be seven years, and he’ll only be able to land six years on the open market. Although this one-year reduction isn’t a significant issue, it will likely cause McDavid to leave money on the table on his next deal. In terms of missed opportunities, McDavid would have been the first generational player in NHL free agency to test the market in the prime of his career. While it would have made great theater for the NHL, it would also have been an opportunity for McDavid to shift the league’s balance of power toward whichever team he joined, while helping reset the salary structure for superstar NHLers. McDavid is clearly not a $12.5M player, but like many top NHLers before him, he took a "hometown discount" to stay with his current team. For some NHLers, taking that discount has worked out well (Sidney Crosby, Steven Stamkos, Nathan MacKinnon). Far more often, the savings from a reduced salary cap are wasted. Even Crosby, who traded tens of millions of dollars to play on consistently competitive teams, saw many of those seasons marred by costly mistakes on depth players with inflated cap hits (Jack Johnson, Erik Gudbranson, Nick Bjugstad). Crosby essentially subsidized poor roster decisions with his lower cap hits, and he would no doubt do so again, given the Stanley Cup championships Pittsburgh has won during his career. McDavid’s decision to re-sign essentially upholds the NHL’s long-standing tradition of superstars taking less money to stay with their team, and no doubt he did so while feeling loyalty to the Oilers fans who have endured the same heartbreaks he has. The reality is, McDavid has gone through a decade without winning the Cup, despite multiple front-office makeovers, coaching changes, cap mismanagement and an inability to surround him with real depth. And while the depth has improved over the last few years, the “we’re almost there” mentality won’t put a Stanley Cup ring on McDavid’s finger. All of this to say, McDavid probably owed it to himself to explore free agency at least to see if a team with a more precise winning blueprint could emerge, giving him a better chance at a title. July 1, 2026, would have offered a window into that, but McDavid chose not to look, and it could come back to haunt him if he never wins a championship. McDavid had all the leverage, which makes his decision baffling, because exploring free agency didn’t require him to leave Edmonton. He could have casually explored his options, had discussions with teams, listened to their pitches and then re-signed with Edmonton—something that might have pushed the Oilers to step up their game and get creative with their roster. But the Oilers didn’t need to worry about losing McDavid, and it seems this has led to some apathy across the organization, as they don’t seem to be a group hungry to win. Generational players across all leagues have frequently tested free agency. NBA superstar LeBron James famously took his talents from Cleveland to Miami nearly 15 years ago, and MLB superstar pitcher Paul Skenes will likely follow suit one day. It’s common, and not all players do it because they’re leaving; they do it for a variety of reasons. They can because the process gives them power, and it’s one of the few times they get to fully control their own destiny. McDavid could have taken a different route, but he didn’t. While he’s given the team a short leash to build a winner around him, he could have kept that leash even tighter, which might have pushed the Oilers to solve their roster issues more quickly. It could also have generated a story that might have become a sensation across all platforms — a broader narrative focusing on a star-driven tale on a smaller scale than MLB superstar Shohei Ohtani’s. The buzz would have been enormous and arguably the biggest NHL story since the Oilers traded Gretzky to the Los Angeles Kings. Moving on could have been a great branding opportunity for McDavid to become even more mainstream, but he chose the safe, comfortable route in Edmonton. It’s a loyalty decision, and it’s completely understandable given that the Oilers have been close to a title in the last two years and he has built a bond with his teammates. For his legacy, though, he might need to chase greatness in a different city in the next two-and-a-half years.
The Pittsburgh Steelers have a very crucial game coming up, as they face the Buffalo Bills in a contest that could have strong playoff implications down the road. After all the bad news and reports of dysfunction coming out of the locker room, they need this win to turn everything around and prove that they aren't just a total mess. Not only that, but a win would also set them up to take back control of the AFC North, especially with a date with the Baltimore Ravens just around the corner. The Steelers may have an advantage with a mismatch in the trenches. Joe Buscaglia, a beat writer for the Bills on The Athletic, explained how Buffalo could be put in a rough situation due to an injury to right tackle Spencer Brown. "Losing that level of talent [from Spencer Brown] is bad enough, but it’s multiplied by the disparity of on-field results between him and his likely backup, Ryan Van Demark," Buscaglia wrote. "Van Demark’s best position is left tackle, and when he’s subbed in at right tackle, it has led to some real opportunities for the opposition." Buscaglia also gave examples of how backup tackle Ryan Van Demark had his issues in the Bills' Week 12 loss, when he seemed to have no chance against elite edge-rusher Will Anderson. He was a big part of quarterback Josh Allen getting sacked eight times, and if he has to play against the Steelers' pass rush, there may be some big problems there. In fact, the Bills have not only ruled out Brown, but now left tackle Dion Dawkins is officially out with a concussion. Both tackles will be backups. Buscaglia noted that Van Demark is more comfortable at left tackle, but now they have a conundrum on the other side. He mentioned that Chase Lundt has only been active once for the Bills in 2025, and now he may have to start against TJ Watt. That is a nightmare matchup for anyone, let alone someone as inexperienced as Lundt. Either way, this is going to be a massive challenge for the Bills' offensive line. Two backup offensive tackles will be going up against a very strong pass rush. Van Demark will have his battles with Alex Highsmith, and both him and Lundt will have to try and slow down Nick Herbig as well, as he can wreak havoc on both sides of the line. Steelers and Bills will be intense coaching battle Head coach Sean McDermott and offensive coordinator Joe Brady will have to help this makeshift offensive line in any way they can. Watt is still the most chipped player in the NFL currently, and there is no reason to not expect at least four hands to be on him on every single snap. Priority No. 1 is keeping these great edge-rushers from taking full advantage of the Bills' injuries in the trenches. Meanwhile, many teams have figured out how to slow down Mike Tomlin's defense, whether the opposing offensive line is at full strength or not. If the Bills successfully shut down the Steelers' pass rush, Tomlin will have to find a way to make adjustments and throw new things that these inexperienced tackles have not seen, like certain stunts and personnel shifts. Despite all the talent on both teams, coaching will most likely decide the victor.




