Found June 18, 2013 on
MLB Injury News:
Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell had fully intended to use right-hander Clay Buchholz in Tuesday's double-header with the division rival Tampa Bay Rays should the lingering soreness in Buchholz's neck subside. Buchholz has been scratched from his start, but NBC Sports.com's Craig Calcaterra reports that the right-hander will throw on the side instead.
Buchholz still has nick soreness, but he will throw a bullpen session. How he feels afterward will determine if he will make or miss his next start -- or possibly head to the disabled list. MLB.com's Todd Kaprovich reports that Alfredo Aceves will come up from Triple-A Pawtucket to take Buchholz's start on Tuesday.
Buchholz leads all qualifying MLB starters in ERA at 1.79 at the start of the double header. He is also 9-0 with 81 strikeouts in 84.1 innings pitched. He is one major reason that Boston leads the A.L. East by two games over the Baltimore Orioles. The Rays are in fourth but only five games out.
The two-day, three-game series could either bring the Rays much closer or push them well out as each game represents a two-game swing. A split either way will still keep the Rays within four games, possibly two.
Follow Raymond on Twitter @RayBureau.
Like Raymond’s “Baseball Bureau” page on Facebook.
Looking for fantasy baseball advice?
BEST OF MAXIM
Clay Buchholz and David Ross both landed on the disabled list Tuesday—the former on the standard 15-day and the latter on the 7-day concussion variety. Buchholz—who hasn't pitched since June 8 complaining of "neck soreness"—is eligible to come off the list on June 24th. Ross—who was on the 7-day concussion DL earlier in the year—was repeatedly pummelled on...
(Photo: Debby Wong, USA TODAY Sports) BOSTON-- According to a report from Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com, Boston Red Sox pitcher Clay Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to June 9 on Tuesday. The cause was a strained trapezius muscle in his neck. The Nederland, Texas native threw a bullpen session before yesterday’s night game against the Tampa Bay...
The Clay Buchholz situation has been a frustrating one for everybody involved, do doubt, but neck injuries are a tricky thing. However, as The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo says, Buchholz is calling all the shots in his rehab, and won’t push himself too far just to avoid a D.L. stint.
As of Tuesday, Buchholz’s schedule side session had been pushed back from before Game 1 of the...
The Boston Red Sox have put pitcher Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained neck.
The Red Sox made the move Tuesday after beating Tampa Bay 5-1 in the opener of a day-night doubleheader. Buchholz threw for a brief period in the bullpen following the game.
Buchholz is 9-0 and leads the majors with a 1.71 ERA.
The right-hander made an early exit from his...
The Boston Red Sox were hoping right-handed starting pitcher
Clay Buchholz could avoid a stint on the disabled list, as the team pushed the
ace back a few times to allow him additional rest. Boston needs a starter for
Saturday, and manager John Farrell told Michael Periatt of MLB.com that the
club didn’t want to rush Buchholz back.
"We needed the starter on Saturday...
The Boston Red Sox have placed Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list due to a strained trapezius muscle in his neck, retroactive to June 9. Buchholz has been nagged by the injury since his last start on June 8 and has battled health issues over the past few weeks, as he has only made two starts since May 22.Buchholz threw a bullpen session before the second game of Tuesday’s...
After throwing a bullpen session between games of the rain-delayed doubleheader, Clay Buchholz was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a neck strain. Buchholz has made just one start since June 2.
The move was made retroactive to June 9, meaning Buchholz won't make his scheduled start Saturday in Detroit. Allen Webster will likely make...
After more than a week of neck discomfort, Clay Buchholz is finally headed to the shelf.
The Red Sox placed the left-hander on the 15-day disabled list with a neck strain Tuesday afternoon, activating catcher Ryan Lavarnway from Pawtucket in his place. Since Buchholz has not pitched since June 8, his move to the DL is retroactive to June 9, making his earliest possible return date...
With the double header on Tuesday, the Red Sox have a lot of additions to the roster. The one big subtraction may be Clay Buchholz, as he might be headed to the disabled list.
First Things First: Napoli, Carp Available
After sitting out three of the four games in Baltimore due to illness, Mike Napoli is back and better. He is in the lineup for Game 1 of Tuesday’s double header...
If Clay Buchholz doesn't throw in the bullpen Tuesday, he's likely headed for the disabled list. Buchholz is still experiencing pain in his neck. If he’s alright after the bullpen session, he could start Saturday in Detroit. If Buchholz can't go, the Saturday starter could be Rubby De La Rosa or Allen Webster.
That' a lot of "...
Looking at Jon Lester’s numbers now, it’s hard to believe that he looked unbeatable, along with Clay Buchholz, at the beginning of the season. With Buchholz possibly headed for the disabled list, Lester’s recent slump could end up being a huge problem for the Red Sox.
The Sox are no strangers to Lester’s shakiness from previous seasons, but...
The Red Sox had an off day Monday, but manager John Farrell was still dishing out some coaching expertise.
Farrell joined Notre Dame football coach Brian Kelly, Boston College football coach Steve Addazio and Connecticut Sun coach Anne Donovan to discuss coaching and leadership at the second annual Coffee With the Coaches event at Fenway Park.
The event raised more than $95,000 for...
Jonny Gomes just took Red Sox Nation from pissed to jubilation in about 3.5 seconds. Maybe it was supposed to happen. But it shouldn’t have happened.
Felix Doubront was masterful. He threw 93 pitches in eight shutout innings against the Rays at Fenway Park. There aren’t many pitches who can claim that. He retired the last 17-in-a-row that he...
11:57 a.m.: While we await word on Clay Buchholz, the Red Sox did get a double dose of good news on Tuesday morning. Both Mike Napoli and Mike Carp are available.
Napoli, who left Thursday’s game with illness, will start the first game, while Carp, who left Sunday’s game with hamstring tightness, could find himself in the second game.
The complete lineups for Game 1 are below...
Andrew Bailey is the Red Sox’ closer.
Bailey, who blew another save opportunity in the second game of Tuesday’s doubleheader, is in the midst of a rough patch. Manager John Farrell made it clear, however, that the closer’s job still belongs to Bailey, and that it’s simply a matter of the right-hander figuring some things out on the mound.
“Andrew Bailey is our closer, and...