EVERY PLAYER IS COMPETING?

Posted July 15, 2013

AFTER being fed a steaming pile by Chip Kelly about EVERY PLAYER having to play his way into a starting spot or being able to compete for a starting spot, all it took for DeSean Jackson to shake an early demotion was a meeting with the HC. The Eagles are currently trying extend Jeremy Maclin's contract, so don't expect him to ride pine either. 

Despite all the bluster about the "wide open" WR position, this year's starters will be LAST YEAR'S starters. 

Quick! Who is pushing LeSean McCoy at RB? Oh yeah that's right: NOBODY! Last year's starter? Check!

Due to injury LT Jason Peters didn't play last year, but he would have started if he did. No one stepped up in his absence, and the starting spot was his again just for showing up off crutches. Quick! Who's pushing LG Evan Mathis? Who's pushing C Jason Kelce? What? Nobody AGAIN?! (I smell a trend!) 

So far we're at what, SIX of eleven starters from last year, who we can already forecast DESPITE Kelly's claims of competition? 

RG Todd Herremanns was moved from Tackle to Guard to give Danny Watkins a seat AND make room for new RT Lane Bryant- Oops! I mean, Lane Johnson. (He DOES love to eat.)

So that's EIGHT starters we can name already who don't have a serious challenger come this training camp?

Last year's starter Brent Celek will get PLENTY of competition at TE from rookie Zach Ertz and James Casey, so there could be a shake-up there. Hooray! Only nine guys in before we hit upon REAL competition on the Offense. Good stuff. I'm frickin moved unto tears over here.

The Spread Option system Kelly is using, FREQUENTLY features a Slot WR or a second TE, so that 10th spot (as it always was under Reid) will be subject to change on a weekly basis, depending on the opponents weakness. 

So that's 8 of 11 positions that (barring injury), you can carve in stone. Put another way 72.7% of our starting positions are non-contests. And if they are, point out the challengers. Please. I dare you.  

72.7% carved in stone leaves only 27.3% up for grabs.

27.3% is a long way from EVERY PLAYER.

GET THE YARDBARKER APP:
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45
MORE FROM YARDBARKER

Sens coach Guy Boucher: We know Pens 'are the better team'

IndyCar drivers Dixon, Franchitti robbed at gunpoint in Taco Bell drive-thru

Fans in new Raiders Vegas stadium will be able to place bets on mobile devices?

Luke Walton not stressing LaVar Ball, cites his dad's 'big personality'

Durant says he was ‘100 percent correct’ in joining Warriors

LIKE WHAT YOU SEE?
GET THE DAILY NEWSLETTER:

Medals handed out at Rio Olympics literally falling apart

Report: Paul Millsap opts out of contract to become free agent

Ben Roethlisberger 'proud' of self-reporting 2015 concussion

Reporter responds on Twitter to LeBron calling him out at presser

Miguel Cabrera, Sam Dyson at odds over sign stealing accusation

Celtics were upset with talk focusing on Isaiah Thomas

Preparing for the BIG3: Q&A with BIG3 co-founder Jeff Kwatinetz

Two months in and Nintendo's Switch dominates 2017 video game market

Getaway Day: League leaders falter allowing new teams to surge ahead

Why wait? Our too soon Cavaliers-Warriors NBA Finals preview

The 10 best sports docs available for streaming

Best of Yardbarker: Gregg Popovich doesn't mince words

The 'Happy birthday to two of the NBA's all-time antagonists' quiz

The shortstop evolution continues to raise the ceiling

Three Up, Three Down: Astros dominate in every category

Box Score 5/19: Heartbreak in OT

Sports & Politics Intersect: NBA power players continue to speak against Trump

The 'Rookies are running back to prominence' quiz

All Sports News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

By clicking "Sign Me Up", you have read and agreed to the Fox Sports Digital Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can opt out at any time. For more information, please see our Privacy Policy.
the YARDBARKER app
Get it now!
Ios_download En_app_rgb_wo_45

Preparing for the BIG3: Q&A with BIG3 co-founder Jeff Kwatinetz

Two months in and Nintendo's Switch dominates 2017 video game market

Getaway Day: League leaders falter allowing new teams to surge ahead

Why wait? Our too soon Cavaliers-Warriors NBA Finals preview

The 10 best sports docs available for streaming

Best of Yardbarker: Gregg Popovich doesn't mince words

The 'Happy birthday to two of the NBA's all-time antagonists' quiz

The shortstop evolution continues to raise the ceiling

Three Up, Three Down: Astros dominate in every category

Sports & Politics Intersect: NBA power players continue to speak against Trump

Today's Best Stuff
For Publishers
Company Info
Help
Follow Yardbarker