Jon Lester‘s name has been thrust into trade discussions.
On Monday night, it was reported that the Royals were interested in acquiring Lester from the Red Sox –– in exchange for top prospect Wil Myers –– to bolster their starting rotation alongside Ervin Santana.
On the heels of the trade talks, WEEI.com is reporting that the Red Sox haven’t had any discussions with Lester regarding a potential contract extension that would keep him in Boston.
Lester will be entering the last year of a five-year, $30 million deal that he signed back in 2009. The lefty is scheduled to earn $11.675 million next season while the Red Sox could pick up his $14 million option in 2014.
Before last season ended, however, Lester told WEEI.com that he’d be willing to listen if the Red Sox approached him about an extension.
“I still got really a year before we kind of have to figure things out as far as an option or anything like that. Like I said, it’s probably not something high on their list right now,” Lester said.
“I’m always open to listening. We can always talk. That doesn’t mean they’re going to be close, or we’re going to be close, or a deal is going to get done. I’m always open to seeing where we’re at. I’m fine with that. I would be fine with trying to work something out. If we had a better year and didn’t have so many needs, especially with me being under control for the next two years, that’s not something that’s a priority. We have other holes we have to fill first.”
Through seven seasons with the Red Sox, Lester has compiled a 3.76 ERA with a 85-48 record en route to two All-Star selections. But the 28-year-old –– who turns 29 in January –– is coming off a nightmare season where he went 9-14 and posted a career-worst 4.82 ERA.