IZOD IndyCar Series race car driver, and three-time champion, Scott Dixon shares his good emotions about capturing the 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series Championship for Target Chip Ganassi Racing at the MAVTv 500 Auto Club Speedway's press conference. Image Credit: Edmund Jenks (2013)
IndyCar Series Race Director, Beaux Barfield, waves Scott Dixon out to take his qualification run for the MAVTv 500 at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California. Image Credit: Edmund Jenks (2013)
Scott Dixon Post 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series Season Interview
33 year old Scott Ronald Dixon, is a New Zealand race car driver who became the most successful all-time driver in the Indy Racing League (IRL) championship in the United States when he won the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio in August 2009. This took his total to 20 wins.
Competing for Chip Ganassi Racing since joining IndyCar, Dixon has won the championship three times, in 2003, 2008, and just this weekend in the MAVTv 500 at Auto Club Speedway, and he won the 92nd Indianapolis 500 in 2008 from pole position.
Among notable awards won by Dixon are the Jim Clark Trophy (1999, 2001, 2004) and the Bruce McLaren Trophy (2003, 2008). In 2012 he was appointed Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit.
Scott, you are with Edmund Jenks - welcome to Motorsports Unplugged and Race Talk Radio.
Scott Dixon takes his #9 Honda-powered Dallara DW12 race car out under a full moon practice run at Auto Club Speedway. Image Credit: Edmund Jenks (2013)
[Scott Dixon Post 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series Season Interview HERE]
1) At the Auto Club Speedway's post race press conference, it was pointed out that the French sports publication L'Equipe wrote that your latest accomplishment would have your legacy move ahead of the likes of Denny Hulme and Bruce McLaren as New Zealand's most successful driver in terms of annual titles. I heard your response to L'Equipe's assertion --- Now that you have had time to digest this assertion for about 36 hours, what do you make of this hearlding that you are New Zealand's most successful race car driver?
2) It was reported that Max Papis put out a 'Tweet' (a 140 character communication message on Twitter) ... Watching yesterday @IndyCar race if they don't change something on those Ovals is just a matter of time before one of my friends will die!! Max seems to be concerned about how long it will be when a driver might pass away due to injuries with the rules package used at a superspeedway like Auto Club Speedway. Do you think open-wheel racing is safe enough running 3-wide at over 200mph?
A beaming team owner, Chip Ganassi (right) discusses the meaning of being competitive with the support of Target Chip Ganassi Racing's managing director, Mike Hull. Image Credit: Edmund Jenks (2013)
3) This 2013 championship is the first one earned within the merged and integrated field of drivers and racing venues from ChampCar - with the variety of racing venues presented in the present day IndyCar series, which type of track do you enjoy the best? You have shown accomplishment on all types.
4) In the not so distant past, it was obvious who the top 2 or 3 contenders would be for the title by the season's halfway point, but this year a driver would emerge and then have issues - was this part of the learning curve of year two with the new DW12 Dallara car and engine combos?
5) Speaking of engine combinations - how involved with the motor engineers do you become - what is your habit? Working with Japanese racing engineers, first at Toyota, then at Honda for these last dozen or so years ... how do you anticipate working with the engineers at Chevrolet will go - any differences?
6) There has been a lot of background discussion on the introduction of a road race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the timing of the race in the schedule - Do you care if the Indy road course is raced in the same month - the Month of May - as the Indy 500? Does it matter?
7) For 2014 - What do you think of the new Tudor road racing series? I assume you'll be driving in it ... any idea as to which car Ganassi Racing will go with? The Daytona Prototypes or the ALMS style P2 cars?
8) Do you have an opinion on the Indy Lights series and the troubles they're going through?
9) The last time we talked, just before your going to Valencia to receive some instruction from Olympian Skeet Shooter, Kim Rhodes, we discussed the options for the community service that was going to be asked of you as a driver for the penalty assessed post Baltimore for comments made out of frustration. Now that the season is over and are now a three-time IndyCar champion, do you expect to be awarded a modification taking in the time served over the next few months due to the additional promotional appearances based on this 2013 IndyCar Championship accomplishment?
... notes from The EDJE
All Sports News
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?