Found November 22, 2011 on
Tim Hardaway Jr
Duke Blue Devils
Here are my thoughts on day 1 of the Maui Invitational.
Michigan-73 Memphis -61
- By Season’s end Trey Burke will be one of the better freshman in the country. The weakness coming into the season for Michigan was point guard play but so far Burke has settle those concerns. Against Memphis he had 14 points and 4 assists
- Tim Hardaway Jr. is one of the best shooting guards in the country. He excels at the mid range game and getting to the basket. He is not a great shooter. In this game he got to the line 10 times and had 21 points and 7 rebounds.
- Michigan teams of the past have always had trouble rebounding. In this game they out rebounded Memphis by 13.
- Michigan loves to shoot the three but they need to shot a better percentage in this game they were only 6 for 20.
- Memphis shot the ball really poor shooting 33 % from the field including 20 % from three.
- In this game Memphis played too much 1 and 1 and no team basketball. They only had 6 assists for the game as a...
BEST OF MAXIM
The Michigan Wolverines basketball team put up a huge early season win over the 8th ranked Memphis Tigers, 73-61, in the opening round of the Maui Invitational.
After a sluggish start to the non-conference slate, the Wolverines erased any doubt about their ability to hand with the nation’s elite in this one.
Michigan was up 37-31 at halftime on the strength of a 10-0...
1. Trey Burke’s block to end the first half
With Michigan on a 10-0 run, Memphis was in serious need of a bucket before the end of the half. With 25 seconds remaining, Memphis is content to let the clock wind down all the way to four seconds. But for Michigan, the most important moment of this play came with 11 seconds to go. As Wesley Witherspoon prepares to screen Douglass,...
When Michigan nearly stunned Duke in the second round of last year's NCAA tournament, the buzz over the young Wolverines immediately began to swell, as they were set to return nearly everyone this season.
Not too long after that, when sophomore point guard Darius Morris declared for the NBA draft, then ultimately — and somewhat surprisingly — opted to remain in the draft...
John Beilein, Tim Hardaway Jr., Trey Burke and Zack Novak met with the media after Michigan’s 82-75 loss to Duke in the Maui Invitational semifinals. Find the full transcript of their press conference here and after the jump.
COACH BEILEIN: It mirrored a little bit of our game last year in the NCAA Tournament where they got off to a quick start with us. We only had nine...
He's not the best player kn e team, but Burke is probably the most importantThe Michigan Wolverines were doubtlessly the surprise team of last year’s Big Ten basketball season. Uniformly picked to dwell in the cellar, Michigan finished fourth in the conference on their way to twenty-one wins and the “3rd” round of the NCAA tournament, where they nearly knocked off Duke...
The Michigan Wolverines (4-1) will close out the Maui Invitational against UCLA (1-3) on Wednesday at 7:30pm (EST). Michigan fell way behind to Duke and made a furious comeback, but the Blue Devils were able to hold them off and advance to the championship game. UCLA lost in similar fashion to Kansas, they fell behind big early, they stormed back, then ultimately lost the game.
1. Five turnovers and two missed shots on first five possessions
I don’t know if Michigan was intimidated, too fired up or just caught up in the moment but its first five possessions of the game were frustrating and uninspired. Sloppy turnovers, air balls, a lack of offensive flow and flat out poor play defined this stretch. Michigan fell behind 9-0 early and looked more like...
Photo: Maui Invitational on Twitter
John Beilein, Zack Novak, Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. took to the podium after Michigan’s 73-61 over Memphis to breakdown the game for the media. Here’s the full transcript of the post game press conference.
COACH BEILEIN: We’re really pleased we could come away with a win today. Memphis presents some very big challenges. They’re a...
Memphis Post Game: Recap / Five Key Plays / Game Day Gallery / Quotes from Beilein, Novak, Hardaway and Burke
How Michigan used a zone defense to slow down Memphis
The Mikan Drill breaks down the Michigan 2-3 Zone
Digital Chalkboard: Duke set out of a timeout
More from the Mikan Drill, a look at one of Duke’s out of bounds sets
Ford in Maui: Michigan-Memphis notes...
Tim Hardaway Jr. had 21 points, Trey Burke added 14 and No. 15 Michigan knocked off No. 8 Memphis 73-61 in the opening round of the Maui Invitational on Monday.