Minutes after helping lead Syracuse to a 66-60 win over California in the third round of the NCAA tournament, Michael Carter-Williams received some unsettling news.
Carter-Williams’ mother informed the Orange guard that the family’s home in Hamilton, Mass., had caught fire during the game. According to WCVB, the blaze, which started around 10:15 p.m. Saturday night, was likely caused by an outdoor wood stove and took firefighters from around the North Shore several hours to extinguish.
Carter-Williams chose not to comment on the fire to the media, but assured fans via his Twitter account that the rest of his family members, who were watching the game from home, made it out of the house safely.
Thanks for the prayers everyone all thats important to me is my family is okay— Michael Carter-Willi (@MJCWilliams) March 24, 2013
The sophomore had 12 points in 38 minutes for the Orange, who will take on the winner of Temple-Indiana in the Sweet 16 later this week.