TWICF #4 – Johnny Manziel is more than talk, ask Nick Saban.Well for all of the hype of this game, it certainly had its ups and downs with A&M taking a early 14-0 lead, much like last year, but the Tide responded. QB AJ McCarron lead the Tide to 28 consecutive points and found a way to hold off Manziel and the Aggies in a great game 49-42. One thing it showed is Manziel for all of this talk and improper attitude can play, just ask Tide Head Coach Nick Saban, who told Manziel “you took 10 years off my life” which was caught by a CBS camera at midfield after the game.
Every time Alabama got up by 7, 14, 0r 21 points “Johnny Football” found a way to bring them back all the way up to the final onside kick, which he had no control over and the Tide lasted, when McCarron took a knee to end the game. You may not like his antics or attitude (me being one of them), but you got to respect his ability. He shut up a lot of people about that, including me.
Elsewhere around the country we also learned:
Alabama may have a weakness in their defense and this could be the opening Oregon could exploit and get by the Tide. As good as Texas A&M’s offense, it is behind the Ducks high octane offense with their Heisman trophy candidate in QB Marcus Mariota. The Ducks got behind 7-0 and then ran off 59 consecutive points to crush the Volunteers. Oregon needs to get by UCLA and Stanford in consecutive games (10/26 and 11/7) to stand a chance, but if they do, the Tide, Ohio State or Clemson had better watch out.
Speaking of that school down south (of Michigan), they did not miss a beat with our QB Braxton Miller in their beating of California, showing they are still tough, even with the back up playing. The Buckeyes are going to make a lot of noise this year not only in the Big Ten, but in the BCS picture, with or without Miller.
The Big Ten took it on the chin a bit yesterday with UCLA coming back from being down 21-3 to the host Cornhuskers to win 41-21, Penn State losing to UCF 34-31and Illinois lost to Washington 34-24. Michigan also almost was added to this list, but was able to get a goal line stand victory over the Akron Zips 28-24.
Top 10 for the first week
1. Alabama – The Tide found a way to outlast the Aggies and win. This week they play Colorado State at home. They should build off this game and win by 35 points. The defense should also regain their confidence.
2. Oregon – The Ducks pulverized the Volunteers, and now get ready to take a on a California team stinging from their loss to Ohio State. If the Bears let the Ducks get going, like they did to Tennessee, this will be over by halftime. Ducks by 30 points.
3. Clemson – Clemson had the week off and now comes back and go play ACC foe North Carolina State in their home. The Wolfpack is 2-0 and will provide some resistance to the Tigers, but in the end, Clemson win going away. Clemson by 14 -17 points
4. Ohio State– Starting QB Braxton Miller was unable to play and the team went off without a hitch in their victory vs. California. This week they play host to Florida A&M. If they are smart they should rest Miller again and let Kenny Guiton play again. Either way, the Buckeyes win this by at least 40 points.
5. Stanford – The Cardinal played a very gutsy Army team that ran for 284 yards, but won in the end 34-20. The Black Knights efforts may show some kinks in the Stanford defense. This week they play in the game of the week.
6. Louisville – Louisville had a together time that they expected with Kentucky. The Wildcats kept QB Teddy Bridgewater well below his averages, which could show teams how to compete the Cardinals. Louisville will get back on track as Bridgewater should throw for at least 5 TD;s and Cardinals win by 40.
7. LSU – The Tigers easily got by Kent State 45-13, with their balanced offense. They take this attack in their SEC opener vs., Auburn. Tigers vs. Tigers. LSU wins this by 17 points as they play under the lights at home, which is worth at least 10 points in any matchup.
8. Florida State – The Seminoles ran away from Nevada 62-7 and will continue the trend this week vs. Bethune Cookman. The first stringers will be done by half time as Florida State wins by as many as they want. Why was this game schedule?. The Seminoles will not make the title game because of the scheduling.
9. Georgia – The Bulldogs enjoyed a week off after beating South Carolina and will have a similar feeling this week as they play North Texas. Georgia will win this by at least 30 points, if QB Aaron Murray play more than a half.
10. Texas A&M – The Aggies played a great game, minus a couple of miscues. This week they play SMU and should go back to how they played in the first two weeks. Sloppy defense and lots of points in offense. Aggies by 40 points.
Heisman Trophy race
1. Marcus Mariota (Oregon QB) – Moved up to the #1 spot after Bridgewater’s below average game, and his third consecutive stellar game. He will battle the other two for the rest of the season, if they stay undefeated.
2. AJ McCarron (Alabama QB) – He is in front of Manziel for one reason. Great numbers, but he won, and Manziel lost. He will not be here long as he wants wins, not stats. Lots of potential, almost Tom Brady like, which is why he will not win the Heisman, but will most likely have a chance at a third BCS Championship. Enjoy the ranking for a couple of weeks, then he will drop out.
3. Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M QB) – I was tough on Manziel and his actions, but his on the field last week, shows he is that good. He will challenge Mariota for the trophy.
Other possibilities – Bridgewater, Boyd, Miller and De’Anthony Thomas (Oregon),
Game of the Week
Arizona State vs. Stanford at Stanford Stadium, Saturday Sept 21, 2013 at 7:00pm on ESPN
Both teams have played two games, and Arizona State won a controversial game vs. Wisconsin last week.Army ran the ball hard against Stanford, which with a more balanced offense could give the Sun Devils the extra advantage against the Cardinals.Stanford QB Kevin Hogan will lead the Cardinal offense to enough points to and Arizona State will not get the extra call this week.
Stanford wins a close one 34-31
Record this season – (1-2)