Jaylon Smith, the #2 ranked OLB prospect, and #5 overall, headlines the 2013 Notre Dame recruiting class.
National Signing Day 2013 couldn’t really have gone any better for Notre Dame football.
The team was able to obtain National Letters of Intent from all 23 of its recruits, and it’s still possible another may come from 5-star defensive lineman prospect Eddie Vanderdoes (as of this writing, he is still deciding between the Irish and UCLA). If Vanderdoes commits, that will surely bump up the class ranking for 2013 up a bit. As it stands right now, Notre Dame has the #4 overall ranked recruiting class according to ESPN.com, behind only Florida, Ohio State and Alabama.
Now, granted, recruiting class rankings are just as meaningless as NFL draft class grades, since these kids have yet to play a single down of D-I football. But it is something each fan can point to as a source of off-season pride, and provides an annual renewing sense of hope for the future (and in some cases, the present).
Here’s a full listing of the 2013 Notre Dame recruiting class:
- Jaylon Smith, OLB (Ft. Wayne, IN) – 5-star
- Greg Bryant, RB (Delray Beach, FL) – 4-star
- Max Redfield, ATH (Mission Viejo, CA) – 4-star
- Tarean Folston, ATH (Cocoa, FL) – 4-star
- Hunter Bivin, OT (Owensboro, KY) – 4-star
- Torii Hunter, Jr., WR (Prosper, TX) – 4-star
- Colin McGovern, OT (New Lenox, IL) – 4-star
- Isaac Rochell, DE (McDonough, GA) – 4-star
- Doug Randolph, OLB (Wodberry Forest, VA) – 4-star
- Devin Butler, CB (Washington, DC) – 4-star
- Malik Zaire, QB (Kettering, OH) – 4-star
- Mike Heuerman, TE (Naples, FL) – 4-star
- Rashad Kinlaw, ATH (Galloway, NJ) – 4-star
- James Onwualu, ATH (St. Paul, MN) – 4-star
- Mike McGlinchey, OT (Philadelphia, PA) – 4-star
- Michael Deeb, ILB (Plantation, FL) – 4-star
- Steve Elmer, OT (Midland, MI) – 4-star
- Durham Smyth, TE (Belton, TX) – 4-star
- Cole Luke, CB (Chandler, AZ) – 4-star
- John Montelus, G (Everett, MA) – 3-star
- Corey Robinson, WR (San Antonio, TX) – 3-star
- Jacob Matuska, TE (Columbus, OH) – 3-star
- William Fuller, WR (Philadelphia, PA) – 3-star
Smith and Redfield could play/start immediately, with smith taking turns with Danny Spond, and Redfield filling a need at safety (where head coach Brian Kelly projects to have him). Tarean Foster, listed as another “athlete” will likely be used in the running back rotation, especially now with Cierre Wood moving on to the NFL. I would also expect to see some playing time for Devin Butler, Torii Hunter, Jr., and Mike Heureman in 2013.
It’s a great class for the Irish – the best in at least the past half dozen years or so. But getting the talent in is only part of the battle. Now the coaches have to do what coaches do and get these young men to bring out the best of that talent and produce in the field.
Follow me on Twitter @IrishColt1