Our current openings are listed below:
About the role:
The Editorial Director is tasked with creating and executing the long-term editorial vision for Yardbarker. We’re looking for an experienced person to lead our sports news coverage, manage our editorial team, and help build Yardbarker’s reputation as a trusted source of unique and interesting sports news. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of how to attract and engage digital audiences, will innately understand how news travels on the (social) web, and will be able to leverage available resources to deliver high quality content in a timely manner. This role will have a significant impact on the trajectory of Yardbarker and is pivotal to the continued growth of Yardbarker and FOX Sports Digital.
This job is based out of our San Francisco offices
- Create a long term vision for Yardbarker editorial efforts focused on growing Yardbarker’s audience and impact in the online sports community
- Create a strategic plan for Yardbarker original content
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams including Product, Sales/Marketing, and Business Development
- Actively manage and grow Yardbarker’s content syndication efforts
- Build internal systems and processes for consistently producing high level, differentiated content and measuring success
- Manage Yardbarker full-time editorial team and freelance writers
- Continually collaborate with key partners such as FOX Sports, Yardbarker publishers, and content syndication partners to brainstorm ideas and opportunities
- Be a tireless watchdog for quality and accuracy
- Has at least 5 years of digital editorial experience
- Complete understanding of what moves the needle with online content and how fans are consuming sports media
- Strong desire to make Yardbarker content impactful, innovative, and distinctive
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, programs, and people
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Self-starter who loves a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work on tight deadlines while producing high-quality work
- Huge sports fan
- Complete medical/dental/vision
- Company-matched 401k plan
- Daily lunch
- Flexible and generous vacation and company holiday policy
About the role:
Do you love sports? Are you passionate about your favorite teams and players? Can you ramble on about great catches, game winning drives, dunks, comebacks, champions, etc? Do you spend an unhealthy amount of time on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr following sports trends? If so and you live in the San Francisco or Los Angeles area, we may have a job for you. Yardbarker is looking for a content creator to build amazing lists and slideshows.
- Create original, highly shareable lists and slideshows about trending and evergreen sports topics
- Help get these lists published on Yardbarker.com and select partner sites
- Have a demonstrated ability to post things that people spend time with and want to share
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Attention to detail and ability to multi-task
- Ability to quickly write witty, engaging copy and taglines
- Flexible hours and ability to work nights/weekends
- Love of sports
The candidate should possess:
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- A passion for and strong knowledge of sports and sports culture
- The ability to quickly identify content creation opportunities
- Working knowledge of content management systems and Photoshop
- At least 2-3 years of experience writing and creating content
- General knowledge of pop culture, as well as Internet trends and memes
- Active social media presence (sense of humor is a plus)
- Flexible hours, including nights and weekends
- Writing articles on daily or semiweekly basis across a number of sports
- Developing ongoing content features with editorial staff
- Identifying opportunities for content creation
- Editing blog posts for grammar and clarity
- Some photo editing
Please submit resume and writing samples to email@example.com.
The Senior Manager, Sales Strategy is responsible for overseeing all pre-sale and post-sale activities for the Yardbarker Network as well as helping craft the long-term sales strategy for the Yardbarker Network. This role will be a highly visible, outward facing part of the Yardbarker team with direct impact on driving revenue. This person should be a subject matter expert and will be expected to direct the creation of custom ad opportunities leveraging the various assets of the Yardbarker Network and then executing on all sold campaigns. This role will interact daily with the 25+ largest, most high profile Yardbarker Publishers. The candidate should be able to work closely with Sales, Sales Integration, Editorial, Network Operations, Network Development and other groups within FOX Sports Digital to maximize revenue.
- Developing unique, high margin custom ad proposals
- Ensuring that all sold campaigns on the Yardbarker Network are properly executed
- Evaluating market trends, FOX Sports sales needs, and Yardbarker Network partners to develop new revenue opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree business, marketing, or relevant field
- Eight plus years’ experience in advertising industry
- Excellent communication skills, ability to manage a diverse set of partners and execute highly visible sales opportunities on tight deadlines. Ability to think outside the box. High level understanding of advertising, the media industry, and sales trends.
- Proficiency with MS Word, Excel, operations management systems, analytics tools
FOX Sports is the flagship network of the FOX Sports Media Group. As America’s top-rated network for sports for 14 straight years (1997-2010), FOX Sports boasts rights agreements with each of the nation’s highest-rated sports. FOX Sports is the exclusive national over-the-air television rights holder for Major League Baseball, including the All-Star Game, alternating League Championship Series and World Series (2007-2013); the National Football League’s NFC package, including the NFC Championship Game and Super Bowls XLV and XLVIII (2006-2013); NASCAR Sprint Cup racing from February through May, including the Daytona 500 (2007-2014); the Big Ten Football Championship Games (2011-16), the AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic and the UEFA Champions League Final.
We have a very small, but experienced engineering team, and we are looking to add a Senior Ruby Devops professional to play a crucial role in helping us manage and scale our existing systems, and to build new products that will be used by tens of millions. As of October 2012, Yardbarker is the largest network of independent sports properties on the web, and we also power the sports sections of several other very large web properties (such as MSN and Fox Sports). You'll be the 4th member of our technology/product team, so you'll be able to play a major role in the development of our product, and our business. If you're a sports fan, and you love technology and agile development, this is a fantastic place to work -- your code will be used by millions of sports fans every day.
This role has two primary components. First, there's the ops piece. We already have a stable and mature foundation, but we need someone to help manage it, and to grow it as necessary. For this part of the role, you'll need the following:
- 6+ years combined experience in linux systems administration, network engineering, and development
- prior experience maintaining development, testing, and production infrastructure for heavily trafficked web sites/apps
- prior experience with medium to large scale ruby on rails deployments
- ability to write, review and rewrite ruby code for performance optimizations and bug fixes
- expert level tuning capabilities across the full stack
- excellent troubleshooting skills (hardware and software)
- required familiarities: mysql, nginx, rails, memcache, redis, passenger, monit, munin, puppet, svn, git
Secondly, there's a development component to this role. This person will play a key part in managing and extending a complex system of automated newsfeeds that power the sports sections of several _very_ large properties (such as MSN and Fox Sports). This code is all Ruby-based, so you'll need a strong background in Ruby (and Rails). You'll be primarily focused on these back-end systems, although there is the possibility of expanding the role depending on your exact skill set. For this part of the role, in addition to the above, you'll need:
- Strong object-oriented design skills, especially as practiced in Ruby.
- Experience with writing complex back-end systems.
- A strong knowledge of SQL (and MySQL in particular), along with the ability to write code that makes efficient use of database resources.
- A genuine interest in working on a system that auto-categorizes sports news stories. It's really a fun problem... and we're constantly being asked to improve/extend our algorithms, so there's a lot of opportunity for creative coding.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills. You should genuinely enjoy the company of both engineers and non-engineers, and be able to communicate effectively with both.
- A desire to work hard, because you enjoy the process, and you take pride in what you've accomplished. When necessary, you can be highly productive on your own, but you also enjoy the camaraderie that arises from working together as a team.
This job will offer market rate compensation and a full benefits package (insurance, 401k, etc). Our spacious and naturally well lit, comfortable office is located in the heart of SOMA adjacent to AT&T park, and features a huge lunch room with snacks, drinks, video games, pool, ping pong, and air hockey. You will be on-call at all times in the event of outages or failure events, but you will also have some flexible working hours and the option to WFH on Wednesdays. Our co-location facility is within walking distance of our office in the rare event that it requires a physical visit.
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff