Our current opening is listed below:
We have a very small, but experienced engineering team, and we are looking to add a Senior Ruby Devops professional to play a crucial role in helping us manage and scale our existing systems, and to build new products that will be used by tens of millions. As of October 2012, Yardbarker is the largest network of independent sports properties on the web, and we also power the sports sections of several other very large web properties (such as MSN and Fox Sports). You'll be the 4th member of our technology/product team, so you'll be able to play a major role in the development of our product, and our business. If you're a sports fan, and you love technology and agile development, this is a fantastic place to work -- your code will be used by millions of sports fans every day.
This role has two primary components. First, there's the ops piece. We already have a stable and mature foundation, but we need someone to help manage it, and to grow it as necessary. For this part of the role, you'll need the following:
- 6+ years combined experience in linux systems administration, network engineering, and development
- prior experience maintaining development, testing, and production infrastructure for heavily trafficked web sites/apps
- prior experience with medium to large scale ruby on rails deployments
- ability to write, review and rewrite ruby code for performance optimizations and bug fixes
- expert level tuning capabilities across the full stack
- excellent troubleshooting skills (hardware and software)
- required familiarities: mysql, nginx, rails, memcache, redis, passenger, monit, munin, puppet, svn, git
Secondly, there's a development component to this role. This person will play a key part in managing and extending a complex system of automated newsfeeds that power the sports sections of several _very_ large properties (such as MSN and Fox Sports). This code is all Ruby-based, so you'll need a strong background in Ruby (and Rails). You'll be primarily focused on these back-end systems, although there is the possibility of expanding the role depending on your exact skill set. For this part of the role, in addition to the above, you'll need:
- Strong object-oriented design skills, especially as practiced in Ruby.
- Experience with writing complex back-end systems.
- A strong knowledge of SQL (and MySQL in particular), along with the ability to write code that makes efficient use of database resources.
- A genuine interest in working on a system that auto-categorizes sports news stories. It's really a fun problem... and we're constantly being asked to improve/extend our algorithms, so there's a lot of opportunity for creative coding.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills. You should genuinely enjoy the company of both engineers and non-engineers, and be able to communicate effectively with both.
- A desire to work hard, because you enjoy the process, and you take pride in what you've accomplished. When necessary, you can be highly productive on your own, but you also enjoy the camaraderie that arises from working together as a team.
This job will offer market rate compensation and a full benefits package (insurance, 401k, etc). Our spacious and naturally well lit, comfortable office is located in the heart of SOMA adjacent to AT&T park, and features a huge lunch room with snacks, drinks, video games, pool, ping pong, and air hockey. You will be on-call at all times in the event of outages or failure events, but you will also have some flexible working hours and the option to WFH on Wednesdays. Our co-location facility is within walking distance of our office in the rare event that it requires a physical visit.
|Latest Rumors||The Backyard|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?