Found March 22, 2013 on Redlegs Review:
It's decided: Leake in rotation, Chapman to be closer #reds — Mark Sheldon (@m_sheldon) March 22, 2013 Jocketty: There was no big in-house debate. #reds #cincienquirer — John Fay (@johnfayman) March 22, 2013 As you can see above from the tweets of the esteemed Reds beat writers, Aroldis Chapman will officially be the Reds closer in 2013 and according to John Fay, there wasn't much disagreement on it in the end. In 68 appearances last year, Chapman was 5-5, with a 1.51 ERA and 38 saves in 43 chances. He struck out 122 over 71.2 innings, so you can see why he will continue to be an asset from the bullpen in '13. That helps to eliminate what could have become a major distraction for this team. I think most fans will be happy with this decision since they know he can be successful at the end of games. There are some who still think he should start, myself included, but I'm not really upset about him closing and no one else really should be either. The rotati...
THE BACKYARD
BEST OF MAXIM
RELATED ARTICLES

Daugherty says Aroldis Chapman will remain in Reds bullpen

Have you heard the news? According to Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds are expected to announce today that Aroldis Chapman will remain the closer. I repeat. Aroldis Chapman will be the Reds closer in 2013. He is no longer expected to work his way into the starting rotation. Daugherty clearly announces his displeasure with this decision, wondering what the Reds...
PITCHING IN

Chapman headed back to bullpen?

Aroldis Chapman recently said he preferred to pitch in the bullpen rather than be converted to a starter, and it looks like he'll get his way.

Aroldis Chapman will return to Reds bullpen

Aroldis Chapman never seemed comfortable as he worked innings as a starting pitcher this spring. The Cincinnati Reds will move the 25-year-old back to their bullpen. Cincinnati dropped more than $30 million on the left-handed Champan in January of 2010. At that time Chapman was seen as a front of the rotation starter for years, instead he has developed as one of the best shutdo ...

Aroldis Chapman moved back to bullpen for Cincinnati Reds

The Aroldis Chapman experiment is officially over. The fireball pitcher will be moved back into the bullpen, becoming the Cincinnati Reds closer once again. The Reds experimented this Spring Training to see if Chapman could fill a starting role with the Reds. The left hander that hits triple digits on radar guns struggled this spring  as a starting pitcher and now will assume the...

Reds abandon plan to start Aroldis Chapman, shift him back to bullpen

The Cincinnati Reds have abandoned their plan to start Aroldis Chapman, and will be moving him back to the bullpen for the 2013 season. Early in the offseason, the Reds announced their plan to start Chapman this spring, and seemingly reinforced that decision by giving free agent closer Jonathan Broxton a three-year, $21 million deal. Now, the Reds have backpedaled on their plan...

Reds are moving Aroldis Chapman back to closer

Someone in the Reds organization is severely confused. After making a point all offseason that Aroldis Chapman would be given a chance in the starting rotation, it has officially been announced the Chapman will be back in the closer’s role for 2013, according to the Cincinnati Inquirer. That might just be the best place for him, as he’s clearly proven to be dominant in that role...

Report: Aroldis Chapman Expected to Move Back to Reds’ Bullpen to Serve as Team’s Closer

One of the biggest — yet best — dilemmas in baseball this offseason resides in Cincinnati, and it looks as if the Reds have come to a decision. According to The Cincinnati Enquirer, barring any last minute changes, the Reds are expected to announce that Aroldis Chapman will move back to the bullpen and serve as the team’s closer. This news seems to end months of debate about...

Chapman stays as closer

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds say closer Aroldis Chapman will remain in that role. The Reds set their rotation on Friday and Chapman isn't included. He came to camp with the possibility of becoming a starter, but will stay in the bullpen for the NL Central champions. Johnny Cueto will start on opening day at home against the Los Angeles Angels on April 1. He will...

The Cincinnati Reds wisely decide to keep Aroldis Chapman in the bullpen

With Cincinnati’s suits finally making a decision, Reds flamethrower Aroldis Chapman will remain the team’s closer this season. The 25-year-old Chapman (5-5, 1.51 ERA), who defected from Cuba in 2009 and signed a six-year contract worth $30.25 million with the Reds in January 2010, saved 38 games in 2012. “We made a decision on our rotation. It’s (Johnny) Cueto, (Mat) Latos...

Not So Fast!

A report Thursday indicated that contrary to previous opinion, Aroldis Chapman would resume his role as closer in 2013 instead of moving to the rotation. That triggered a reaction from the Reds who denied that a final decision had been made. Within the past week Chapman made a comment indicating that he would prefer to continue protecting ninth inning leads.

Chapman to remain Reds’ closer

“We made a decision on our rotation. It’s Cueto, Latos, Bronson, Homer Bailey and Leake.”   And with those 15 words from Reds manager Dusty Baker, fireballer Aroldis Chapman was sent back to the bullpen to begin his second season as the team’s closer.   The thought in spring training was for Chapman to crack the starting rotation so that the Reds could make more full use...

Redleg Nation Radio: Spring Training Week 5

Join Chad Dotson and other writers from Redleg Nation along with myself as we go on the air tonight live at 9pm EST at Blog Talk Radio. We are trying out the premium features for now, so we will be going longer than a half an hour tonight to see how it goes. We will be talking, hopefully for the last time, about Aroldis Chapman and the decision to keep him in the bullpen, Mat Latos...

In brief: Cueto, Prior, Leake, and Chapman

Last Game It appears that the Reds’ offense has woken up for the season. I say that just because the Reds have scored 46 runs in their last six games. The 9 they added to that total last night against the A’s, though, still weren’t enough due to the giving up of 10 runs. The pitchers may still be a little groggy yet. Johnny Cueto had a rough time of it. He gave up 5 runs ...
Reds News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
Help
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.