Found August 30, 2012 on
Obstructed View OLD:
The winner of the Obstructed View Unofficially Official 2013 Chicago Cubs Slogan* Contest has been chosen.
There were so many great entries, in a way you are all winners, but in a more accurate way, there was only the one winner. By virtue of a plurality of the popular vote by our readers (and possibly members of their families), the submission by intrepid reader, MO, has been selected as the Obstructed View Unofficially Official 2013 Chicago Cubs Slogan**:
MO, has politely deferred his Grand Prize to Nick, who submitted the runner-up slogan, "Don't Say We Didn't Warn You." So all five finalists will be receiving the Essential Games of the Chicago Cubs DVDs and Nick will be receiving the OV t-shirt as well.
Thank you to everyone who submitted slogans. It was difficult to narrow it down to five finalists, and we're really glad you guys did the voting to choose the eventual winner. Here is the full list of submissions:
- Getting Blindsided Every Day
- The Cubs: An object at rest tends to stay at rest.
- The 105th time's the charm
- the revolution is coming
- If Rebuilds Were Easy, Anyone Could Do It
- Because you can't go over-slot on quixotic optimism.
- You're Still Watching? Awesome!
- Hey, We're Trying
- Uncle Fonsie's Lil' Scrappers
- Northside Youth Movement
- Smaller payroll bigger production
- Under Construction – Will Be Completed by end of 2014
- Caution: Under Construction
- Let Them Transform You
- Let's See What Transforms
- Baseball ad nauseum
- Right town. Right team. Wrong year.
- This is serious
- 2013 Chicago Cubs: Jesus titty ******* Christ!!
- Even **** doesn't smell this bad!!
- Its no way to go through life!
- This isn't our year
- Rebuilding for the future of your grandchildren
- Soriano's almost gone!
- It's got a chance…gone, a lost season!
- 2013 Cubs: Should have been a FanShot
- Chicago Cubs 2013: This is Another Year
- 2013 Chicago Cubs: At least we don't have to hear 'Go, Cubs, Go' very much.
- Into oblivion!
- All aboard the fail boat, next stop: 2013
- 2013: Rebuilding futility
- Fail, Rinse, Rebuild
- This year redemtion will be spelled C-U-B-S!
- Where you come to suppress even worse memories.
- 2013: Year of the Facepalm
- We of little faith
- 2013: wake me when it's over
- **** the Mendoza line!
- Hey, at least they aren't the Astros.
- 2013: Because every game has to have a loser
- 2013: Hang It Up And See What Next Year Brings
- 2013: Don't Say We Didn't Warn You
- 2013: The Prospects Strike Back
- Race to the Top Magic #: 163. Piece of cake.
- Wrigley's the new Gitmo.
- Let's see the Astros top this!
- Someone's gotta lose!
- 2013 Chicago Cubs: I'd rather watch old people ****!!
- 2013: you'll be sorry that the mayan apocalypse was just a bunch of ********
- Hey, I think we play the Astros 18 times.
- Would you come if I wore my oversized Harry Caray glasses?
- Goodbye Astros! Hello last place.
- 2013 Cubs: Blame it on Obama
- The Doormat of the Pacific Coast League
- Wrigley Field: Even the Old Style can't help us.
- We just… It's… We're ******* sorry, okay?
- Nowhere and Back Again
- The 2013 Cubs: So Very Tired
- It's either this or the WNBA.
- Who's watching the kids?
- Maybe baseball's not your game. I know, let's have a spelling contest.
- Why are you still here?
- ****, the ******* ******'s ******
- The 2013 Chicago Cubs: Because We Have To
- I paid how much for this?
- It Gets Better (…right?)
- Youth will be served
- They actually play the game in a trough now.
- Pissing excellence into the wind
- Cubs Baseball…We Can't Suck As Bad As Last Year…Right?
- Why not be mediocre?
- Wait til next century!!!
- Is it next year yet?
- ****'s Gonna Happen!
- Our Ace is a 28 year old with a mullet!
- 2013 Chicago Cubs: Who gives a ****?
- Relive the agony
- Facilitating happenings that approximate baseball
- 2013 Cubs: At least the Old Style tastes like piss.
- This WON'T be the year, but maybe soon!
- This Year Will Blindside You
*Slogan contest is not affiliated in any way with the Chicago National League Ballclub or any members of its organization.
** Seriously, the Chicago Cubs want nothing to do with us and would probably prefer it if we just went away with our stupid slogan ********.
BEST OF MAXIM
The Arizona Fall League rosters have been announced (subject to change), and eight Cubs have been assigned to the Mesa Solar Sox.
Five MLB clubs are associated with each of the six AFL teams, and while Cubs players are always assigned to the Mesa Solar Sox (the Cubs are the Solar Sox "host team" because the Solar Sox play their home games at the Cubs Spring Training stadium...
Since Darwin Barney set the single season record for an errorless streak at 2nd base last night, I figured we might look back at some of his best plays. Thanks to mlb.com we can do that. As I was looking through these last night I was surprised at two things: there weren't as many outstanding defensive players as I thought there would and there were a lot of very, very good players...
Horacio Ramirez gave up 7 ER in 4.2 IP so its good to see that working out well. Miguel Socolovich struck out 2 in 1.1 IP of work. He is now our best relief pitcher.
Logan Watkins ended the Smokies home season with a walk off HR, his 7th of the year. Baby Brenly went 3-4 and also hit a HR his 6th. Austin Kirk gave up 2 ER in 7 IP and struck out 1 batter.
Mercifully the Iowa Cubs season ended last night due to the final 4 games in NO being canceled by Hurricane Issac. Iowa started the season off with more talent than any other minor league affiliate but the promotion a thon of the last few months ravaged this roster to the point where even linking to the box score was too much effort. Look for Cardenas, Campana and a few RP...
The Cubs have hired Brandon Hyde as the farm director. Oneiri Fleita was fired not long ago and Hyde will replace Fleita.
The Cubs named Brandon Hyde as the new director of player development, promoting him from his role as the club’s Minor League field coordinator. He replaces Oneri Fleita, who was dismissed. Hyde, 38, joined the Cubs last offseason after spending the previous...
CHICAGO -- Starlin Castro was barely out of his teens when he made his big league debut. Now it looks as though he'll still be donning Cubbie blue when he hits his 30s. The Chicago Cubs and their young shortstop agreed to a seven-year contract with a club option for 2020, the team said Tuesday. The deal could keep Castro in Chicago until after his 30th birthday. "Only the...
Are you out of work, behind on your house payments, the electric is about to be shut off and you need to pay for a divorce? Getting out of debt could be easy. Do you know this bank robber? Would you consider turning on your homeboy, but don’t have the nerves to rat? Let us help you. We’ll turn on your homeboy. And split the reward money with you! It’s a win-win.
According to Paul Sullivan, the Cubs are going to shift gears with regards to what they're doing at 3rd base. You're not alone if that doesn't make any sense.
Sveum says they are "shifting gears" on playing time for Vitters. Valbuena to get bulk of starts down stretch.
— Paul Sullivan (@PWSullivan) August 30, 2012
About 10 days ago this article was published...
Over the last week or so, several people have hit me up on Twitter asking me to help promote OneAtBat.com, a social campaign to get the Chicago Cubs to sign Adam Greenberg and give him a chance to hit in the big leagues in September. The story is certainly moving. You may remember that Greenberg got hit in the head on the first pitch of his Major League career, but may not know...
Did the Cubs Shift Gears Yesterday?
Yes. They won.
Of players with at least 80 Plate Appearances, Brett Jackson leads the Cubs in wRC+ (113). (h/t, mb21) He's also fifth on the current roster in batting WAR. For the season. He's played in 23 games.
According to Fangraphs, Darwin Barney has been worth 11.6 runs defensively. Which is still kind of lame compared...
Aisle 424 wrote last week about the paucity of fans at U.S. Cellular at the conclusion of the White Sox' sweep of the Yankees, and it got me to thinking. It got me to thinking so much I actually used the word paucity in a sentence. But mostly it made me ponder the possibility of the same thing eventually happening to the Cubs. Sure, in this current epoch of unconditional attendance...
The Cubs haven't had much success against the Brewers this season. With a wild comeback win on Thursday, Chicago at least got the last laugh against their NL Central rival.
Jonathan Lucroy hit a grand slam and drove in seven runs for Milwaukee, but Alfonso Soriano's RBI single capped a three-run comeback in the ninth inning that lifted the Chicago Cubs over the Brewers 12...
Alfonso Soriano hit a two-run homer that landed on Waveland Avenue and Anthony Rizzo added a solo shot, helping Chris Volstad and the Chicago Cubs beat the weary San Francisco Giants 6-4 on Friday.
Soriano also had a two-out RBI single in the first as Chicago earned its first win of the season against the NL West leaders in five tries. The Cubs were swept in a four-game series at...
In order to ship The Essential Games of The Chicago Cubs to our winners, we will need home addresses. The 5 winners were listed here and Nick has won the t-shirt so we'll also need to know which t-shirt and what size he wants. If the winners could send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the necessary shipping information. Your quick response would be appreciated.
Mike Fiers tossed 7 1-3 solid innings to lead the Milwaukee Brewers to a 3-1 win over the Cubs on Wednesday night, their eighth straight victory against Chicago.
Fiers (8-6) held the Cubs to four hits and struck out six, helping Milwaukee beat its division rival for the 13th time in 16 games this season. The Brewers have won eight of their last nine overall and moved within five...