Found January 17, 2013 on
Tommy John surgery at the end of the 2011 season, John Lackey has been
away from baseball for close to 18 months and for Red Sox fans, those 18
months were much needed. Coming to Boston after signing a 5 year
contract worth 75 million dollars in 2010, Lackey has not lived up to
one cent of that lucrative contract. In two years with the Sox he has
pitched to a 5.26 ERA which led to his surgery at the end of the 2011
season. A year away from the game, and a healthy John Lackey could pay
off tremendously for not only himself, but the Red Sox rotation.
A healthy and affective Lackey, the one the Red Sox thought they
were signing three years ago, will add depth to the rotation behind Jon
Lester and Clay Bucholz. Assuming Lester and Bucholz bounce back behind
the leadership and knowledge of new manager and mentor, John Farrel,
the Red Sox 1-3 starters could turn out to be the best in baseball.
When Lakcey was considered 100 percent in Anaheim he was a pitcher who ...
BEST OF MAXIM
The latest from the story that won't die comes from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, who says that the Sox and Mike Napoli have made progress to the point that something is expected to be finalized next week. But that doesn't mean it's done:
Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus...
The Boston Red Sox avoided arbitration with new closer Joel Hanrahan after reaching agreement on a one-year deal worth $7.04 million. Hanrahan, who will be eligible for free agency after the 2013 season, came to the Red Sox last month in a trade with Pittsburgh. The Pirates paid him $4.1 million in 2012. Hanrahan posted 36 saves last season and 40 in 2011 with a combined a 2...
Mike Napoli's deal with the Boston Red Sox might be shrinking. The free agent catcher/first baseman and the team are closing in on a one-year contract, according to ESPNBoston.com. Napoli and the Red Sox agreed to terms on a three-year, $39 million deal last month at the winter meetings, but the contract was never signed, reportedly because the 31-year-old veteran failed his...
Here's a press release from the Boston Red Sox about "Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest":
BOSTON, MA – Third Baseman Will Middlebrooks will welcome children to a “Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest” on Saturday, January 26, at Fenway Park. The event, which takes place from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m, is free and open to fans of all ages.
Middlebrooks is scheduled to...
It seems very likely that Mike Napoli will be playing for the Red Sox in 2013. Speaking before the Red Sox Town Hall on Thursday, Ben Cherington would not confirm the reports that the Sox have agreed to a one-year deal with the veteran slugger, but he did seem very optimistic that something could be announced before long.
Cherington acknowledged that the Red Sox have made progress...
Vicente Padilla won’t be a part of the retooled Red Sox bullpen in 2013.
MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reports that the veteran right-hander has agreed to pitch in Japan this season. According to the report, Padilla has agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.25 million with the SoftBank Hawks.
Source: Former Red Sox pitcher Vicente Padilla has agreed to a one-year deal for $3.25M with...
The good news continues to roll in for Boston.
After reports surfaced this morning that the Red Sox had finally signed Mike Napoli, the team announced on Thursday that Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been signed to a one-year, non-guaranteed contract
Last year, the 27-year old catcher hit .222 and set career highs with 25 home runs and 59 RBIs.
Acquired from Texas in 2010, Saltalamacchia...
It’s been more than seven weeks since reports surfaced stating that Mike Napoli was Boston bound, but we might actually have a resolution relatively soon.
According to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman, Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the original three-year, $39 million deal hit a snag.
Multiple reports have indicated that...
The Red Sox and Jacoby Ellsbury have agreed to terms on a one-year contract, reports...Jacoby Ellsbury. Peter Abraham since tweeted that the deal was for $9 million.
I find the number a little surprising. Ells got $8.05 million last year after his near-MVP performance in 2011. And sure, players don't often go backwards in arbitration, but it's surprising to see the number...
Xander Bogaerts, the No. 1 prospect in the Red Sox organization, is starting to garner more and more recognition among the Boston fan base. It might not be long before he’s recognized on the global stage.
According to ESPN.com’s Gordon Edes, Bogaerts, a native of Aruba, is likely to represent Team Netherlands in this year’s World Baseball Classic.
Bogaerts, who was on the Netherlands...
After almost a month after originally agreeing to a three year deal, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a restructured one year, $5 million deal, according to WEEI.
Napoli and the Red Sox initially agreed to a three year, $39 million deal in early December, but, after a physical, the Red Sox noticed some red flags on Napoli's nagging hip. After more than...
You can start breathing again Red Sox Nation. It's been reported
that Jacoby Ellsbury and the Red Sox have agreed to a one-year 9 million dollar
contract. Why is this so significant? The deal avoids a messy arbitration period and keeps Ellsbury in a Red Sox uniform for at least another year.
The contract benefits both parties involved. The Red Sox increase Jacoby's salary...
While the World Baseball Classic might be exciting for fans, it can be a rather stressful time for members of major league front offices.
Four members of the Red Sox — Shane Victorino (United States), Alfredo Aceves (Mexico), Xander Bogaerts (Netherlands) and Jose De La Torre (Puerto Rico) — are listed on the provisional rosters for this year’s WBC, which will be held in San...
The Boston Red Sox and free agent Mike Napoli initially had a three year contract in place, a deal that is pretty much voided now because of health concerns. Even so the player and team continue to talk and work towards a new deal. Jim Bowden of ESPN is reporting that the two teams are making significant progress towards a new, one-year deal.
The Red Sox and Mike Napoli have nothing...
MetsBlog passes along that former Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka told Hochi Shimbun that he is now talking with the Mets, Indians and Marlins, though other teams have expressed interest in signing him this winter.
Dice-K prefers to sign a big-league contract with incentives. However, it is also likely he ends up signing a minor-league deal or could return to pitch in Japan...