Found January 16, 2013 on
To say Lackey's tenure in Boston is anything but “Lack’luster”
is paying the guy a serious compliment. Since signing a five year deal with the Red Sox worth
82.5 million dollars in December of 2009, Lackey has both
under performed and failed to deliver on a consistent basis. If
you're a Lackey Lover (You see what I did there? Clever right?) perhaps further proof is
needed to make my point. Let's take a look at the numbers because we all know
that numbers don't lie - at least to your face.
(courtesy of ESPN.com)
In only two years with the Red Sox – an injury forced John out
of the 2012 season – Lackey has recorded 26 wins while posting 23 losses combining
for a .531 winning percentage. Lackey’s average ERA during those two years was
a dismal 5.41 and his strikeout-to-walk ratio was 2:1. Are you beginning to see the
picture I’m exhaustively trying to paint here? In short, he’s been terrible.
Heading into the 2013 season Red Sox fans could have something t...
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
The latest from the story that won't die comes from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, who says that the Sox and Mike Napoli have made progress to the point that something is expected to be finalized next week. But that doesn't mean it's done:
Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus...
Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona as well as former general manager Theo Epstein have some unkind words for the current Red Sox ownership group
Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona has a new book coming out titled “Francona: The Red Sox Years” that is co-authored by some blow hard in the Boston media that I will not give the time of day to. I will give you a hint who it...
Mike Napoli's deal with the Boston Red Sox might be shrinking. The free agent catcher/first baseman and the team are closing in on a one-year contract, according to ESPNBoston.com. Napoli and the Red Sox agreed to terms on a three-year, $39 million deal last month at the winter meetings, but the contract was never signed, reportedly because the 31-year-old veteran failed his...
Here's a press release from the Boston Red Sox about "Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest":
BOSTON, MA – Third Baseman Will Middlebrooks will welcome children to a “Red Sox Kid Nation Winterfest” on Saturday, January 26, at Fenway Park. The event, which takes place from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m, is free and open to fans of all ages.
Middlebrooks is scheduled to...
Vicente Padilla won’t be a part of the retooled Red Sox bullpen in 2013.
MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez reports that the veteran right-hander has agreed to pitch in Japan this season. According to the report, Padilla has agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.25 million with the SoftBank Hawks.
Source: Former Red Sox pitcher Vicente Padilla has agreed to a one-year deal for $3.25M with...
It’s been more than seven weeks since reports surfaced stating that Mike Napoli was Boston bound, but we might actually have a resolution relatively soon.
According to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman, Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the original three-year, $39 million deal hit a snag.
Multiple reports have indicated that...
The good news continues to roll in for Boston.
After reports surfaced this morning that the Red Sox had finally signed Mike Napoli, the team announced on Thursday that Jarrod Saltalamacchia has been signed to a one-year, non-guaranteed contract
Last year, the 27-year old catcher hit .222 and set career highs with 25 home runs and 59 RBIs.
Acquired from Texas in 2010, Saltalamacchia...
Xander Bogaerts, the No. 1 prospect in the Red Sox organization, is starting to garner more and more recognition among the Boston fan base. It might not be long before he’s recognized on the global stage.
According to ESPN.com’s Gordon Edes, Bogaerts, a native of Aruba, is likely to represent Team Netherlands in this year’s World Baseball Classic.
Bogaerts, who was on the Netherlands...
After almost a month after originally agreeing to a three year deal, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a restructured one year, $5 million deal, according to WEEI.
Napoli and the Red Sox initially agreed to a three year, $39 million deal in early December, but, after a physical, the Red Sox noticed some red flags on Napoli's nagging hip. After more than...
The second half of Boston’s next great youth movement, is also the second half of the “B” team. Besides Bogaerts and Bradley, there is Brentz and Barnes.
Bryce Brentz has a resume that makes me believe he has the chance to be a power hitter for Boston. When he played at Middle Tennessee State as a sophomore in 2009, he led the nation in home runs (28), batting...
While the World Baseball Classic might be exciting for fans, it can be a rather stressful time for members of major league front offices.
Four members of the Red Sox — Shane Victorino (United States), Alfredo Aceves (Mexico), Xander Bogaerts (Netherlands) and Jose De La Torre (Puerto Rico) — are listed on the provisional rosters for this year’s WBC, which will be held in San...
His video game company in bankruptcy, former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling is selling the blood-stained sock he wore during the 2004 World Series.
The sports director at Heritage Auctions tells The Associated Press online bidding begins around Feb. 4. Live bidding will take place in New York City on Feb. 23.
The sock had been on loan to the National Baseball Hall of Fame...
The Boston Red Sox and free agent Mike Napoli initially had a three year contract in place, a deal that is pretty much voided now because of health concerns. Even so the player and team continue to talk and work towards a new deal. Jim Bowden of ESPN is reporting that the two teams are making significant progress towards a new, one-year deal.
The Red Sox and Mike Napoli have nothing...
MetsBlog passes along that former Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka told Hochi Shimbun that he is now talking with the Mets, Indians and Marlins, though other teams have expressed interest in signing him this winter.
Dice-K prefers to sign a big-league contract with incentives. However, it is also likely he ends up signing a minor-league deal or could return to pitch in Japan...