The Factor12 Rating (F12) is an analytic measurement utilizing league average performance to compare the value of all MLB pitchers.
(1) Matt Cain’s perfect game vaulted him into the number one position this week. Cain’s gem on Wednesday night included 14 strikeouts against the Astros. For the season, the right-hander known as “Big Sugar” has a 2.18 ERA and 0.853 WHIP.
(2) Justin Verlander cranked out two starts this week, including eight quality innings at Wrigley Field. The former Old Dominion Monarch trails Cain by just 0.247 points.
(3) Gio Gonzalez continued his dominant 2012 season by defeating the Red Sox at Fenway Park on Saturday. In 12 starts, Gonzalez has allowed just one home run.
(4) Aroldis Chapman continues to allow runs, ever since I touted him as possibly the best pitcher in the game. The left-handed closer has fanned 56 in just 32 innings this season, and his WHIP is still a low 0.688.
(5) Stephen Strasburg rejoins the top 5 after a two-start week at Boston and Toro...