Found July 09, 2013 on
Chicago White Sox
Toronto Blue Jays
49-39, 1st place, 3.5 games up on Cle.
The Tigers head home for 6 against the White Sox and Rangers after a successful 7-4 road trip that ended with the club taking 3 of 4 from Cle. The White Sox are not good. We gotta win the series.
A few stars from last night’s game, other than VMart.
1) Brayan Pena. Pena made one of the smartest plays you’ll see all season. In case you missed it, Swisher hit a nubber down the 3rd place line to lead off the 8th. He watched it roll foul, assumed that was it, and turned towards the dugout to get ready for the next pitch. Pena watched it like a hawk and snatched it up when it rolled back fair, and then raced over to tag a bewildered, and embarrassed, Nick Swisher.
2) Drew Smyly. Wow. Other than Miguel Cabrera, has anyone been more valuable than Drew Smyly this season? He entered in the 9th after Rondon gave up a leadoff single. A Pena passed ball put a runner on 2nd with no outs. That’s a run expectancy of 1.06. Smyly then gets a fly out, a K, and a fly out. A well deserved W. On the season – batters are hitting .198 off of him, and he’s posting a 2.04 ERA and .98 WHIP.
3) The late inning walk. Seems like we are constantly burned by them; well, VMart made two count in the top of the 10th.
A few notes:
- Victor Martinez’s last 10 games: .390/.538/.928. No home runs, but I can live with the double brothers hitting 5 and 6 in this lineup.
- Prince Fielder’s splits: .314/.398/.520/.918 ** .243/.346/.431/.777. Man, lefties are killing him…except that those splits are the other way. His OPS v. lefties is .918, and it’s .777 v. righties. I’m expecting a monster 2nd half from him.
- Infante to the DL, retroactive to the 4th. I wonder if Colby Rasmus will send a card. 22 year old prospect Hernan Perez up and in the lineup.
- Are the Tigers eyeing someone from the Brewers’ bullpen?
- Could Miggy be joining Prince in the HR derby?
Tonight’s Series Opening Lineup:
1. Jackson, CF
2. Hunter, RF
3. Cabrera, 3B
4. Fielder, 1B
5. Martinez, DH
6. Peralta, SS
7. Tuiasosopoa, LF
8. Perez, 2B
9. Avila, C
BEST OF MAXIM
The Detroit Tigers have placed second baseman Omar Infante on the 15-day DL with a left ankle sprain. The Tigers tweeted the news a few hours before their Tuesday night game against the Chicago White Sox.
The #Tigers have placed Omar Infante on the 15-day DL retro to 7/4 with a left ankle sprain.
— #BackBenoit (@tigers) July 9, 2013
Infante left last Wednesday's game...
DETROIT -- Justin Verlander didn't have his best stuff Tuesday night, but for most of the game, he did a balancing act that would have made Nik Wallenda proud.
The ending, though, was something that no one wanted to see.
Verlander had struggled all night, allowing eight hits and a walk in the first seven innings, but most of the runners had come with two out and he had limited...
Prince Fielder homered, Rick Porcello pitched six solid innings and the Detroit Tigers bounced back Wednesday night with an 8-5 victory over the Chicago White Sox.
Detroit allowed 23 hits in an 11-4 loss to the White Sox on Tuesday, but it was the Tigers who did the slugging early on in this game. Fielder lined a two-run shot to right field in the first inning for his 16th homer...
Max Scherzer didn't care that his record stayed spotless. All that mattered to him was that Detroit's improved.
Scherzer remained unbeaten and Victor Martinez hit a two-run double in the 10th inning as the Tigers extended their lead in the AL Central with a 4-2 win over the second-place Cleveland Indians on Monday night.
Martinez doubled off Matt Albers (2-1) as the Tigers...
The Chicago White Sox should be in a full rebuilding mode in a couple of weeks. Currently sitting 34-51, Chicago is 13 games back of both the division and nearest wildcard. A team with a weak farm system, it would be wisest for the White Sox to trade off any assets under contract with value for the next couple of years.
While players like Adam Dunn may have too much owed or pitchers...
CLEVELAND (AP) -- Max Scherzer remained unbeaten and Victor Martinez hit a two-run double in the 10th inning as the Detroit Tigers extended their lead in the AL Central with a 4-2 win over the second-place Cleveland Indians on Monday night.
Martinez doubled off Matt Albers (2-1) as the Tigers won three of four in the series and moved 3 games ahead in the division.
Drew Smyly (4-0...
Mixed-league roto owners, looking for a waiver-wire pitcher before Wednesday's full slate of games?
Here's my free-agent choice (citing most 12-team leagues) for one day of fantasy stardom:
Rick Porcello (Tigers) vs. White Sox
1. Of his last 10 starts, Porcello has surrendered three or less runs seven times. In that span, he allowed zero or one run five times.
Chicago closer Kevin Gregg may be on the Detroit Tigers’ radar as the July 31 trade deadline approaches. But what about starter Matt Garza, who, like Gregg, will be a free agent after this season?
ESPN’s Jim Bowden, formerly the GM for the Reds and Nationals, suggests a package deal that sends Garza and Gregg to the Tigers for Avisail Garcia, Rick Porcello and 2012 second-round...
A goal, an assist and a fight. A gino, a helper and a tilly. That’s The Gordie Howe Hat Trick, a rare feat in the game of hockey that honors the gritty and the skilled. It’s a feat that its namesake, Mr. Hockey himself, actually only did twice in his career – it’s named more for his career-long achievements in point production and face punching.
Well, it’s high time that...
courtesy of www.nydailynews.com
Chicago White Sox slugger Alex Rios becomes the 32nd Major League Baseball player to have six base hits on six at-bats in a nine inning game. Rios was also the first player to collect four base hits off Cy Young winner, Justin Verlander who seemed to be throwing batting practice as he gave up 12 of the teams 23 hits Tuesday night. Verlander...
Surely Nick Swisher played Little League. Where was he on the day when they teach the kids to always run, even if the ball looks foul?
Swisher could only shake his head Monday night when he failed to run after Tigers catcher Brayan Pena made a heads-up play at the dish. Swisher tapped a ball into the dirt along the third base line that was clearly foul — until it wasn’t. Pena...
Anyone familiar with Hawk Harrelson's penchant for going totally silent during particularly painful Chicago White Sox moments might sometimes wonder if Harrelson is still in fact alive in the booth. The unabashed homer who's been calling Sox games for two decades is still kicking at the age of 71, but when he does die he wants it to happen in that exact spot.
It is game two of the three game series.
Dylan Axelrod is in the mound office today. So far there is no rain, so it looks like an on time start.
Grab that snack and see you soon.
*2 – 0 (tigers Lead)
Sox – De Aza(ground out to first), Ramirez(ground out to short), Rios(ground out to short),
Tigers - (flied out to center)(single to left)(popped...