Posted November 02, 2013 on
AP on Fox
Barry Zito has known for months he would be leaving the Giants after seven up-and-down years in San Francisco.
The sides formally parted ways Saturday, when the Giants declined to exercise Zito's $18 million contract option for next season and instead owe the left-hander a $7 million buyout.
Also Saturday, San Francisco declined its $3 million mutual option for outfielder Andres Torres and must pay him a $500,000 buyout. The biggest decision still facing general manager Brian Sabean and assistant GM Bobby Evans is due by Monday: Whether to exercise right-hander Ryan Vogelsong's $6.5 million club option that includes a $300,000 buyout.
Because the 35-year-old Zito realized this moment was coming, he recently took out a full-page newspaper ad to thank the fans for standing by him through a tough tenure on this side of San Francisco Bay. The 2002 AL Cy Young Award winner across the water for the Oakland Athletics, Zito just completed a $126 million, seven-year contract with the Giants.
Zito pitched Game 5 of the NL championship series at St. Louis last year with his team facing elimination as the Giants rallied to win the series in seven games, then won Game 1 in a surprising World Series sweep of the Tigers - after he was left off the postseason roster for all three rounds in 2010.
Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy each has credited Zito for his work to find his rhythm again despite the struggles, not to mention his class during difficult situations on and off the field. Both of his parents died in recent years, including his father, Joe, this past season.
''On the field and off the field, a lot of things happened in these years,'' Zito said. ''I got married and became a Christian, lost both my parents. Just so much. And on the field, obviously had some lows there for a while and also this year, and then the World Series in 2012 for me was such an incredible experience. I'm so grateful I got to experience that and be a part of it and help bring it home for San Francisco.
The way it worked, Zito was replaced in his final start and didn't get a curtain call or chance to tip his cap to the crowd at AT&T Park on Sept. 25.
''There's not a lot of chance for closure, I think, in sports,'' he said. ''Guys sign contracts, they come to cities, they're kind of like the city's own. And there's never really goodbyes. But that's National League baseball. You've got to pinch hit.''
Zito had a 63-80 record with a 4.62 ERA in 197 starts and 208 appearances for the Giants. His buyout is payable in installments with 1 percent interest each Jan. 15 from 2014 through 2020.
''There's lots of stuff that he could complain about. I've never heard him say a negative word about anything,'' fellow lefty starter Madison Bumgarner said. ''He's a lot tougher than people realize. He's a gentleman in the game and he's a competitor. He's truly a good teammate, one of the best teammates I've had in my short career so far. It would definitely be hard to top him.''
Zito and Torres, another member of the 2010 World Series team, now become free agents. Torres, 35, batted .250 with two homers and 21 RBIs in 103 games this past season.
Zito has said he still wants to pitch next season somewhere.
''Just going to go home this offseason, take a few weeks off and see what my heart tells me,'' he said. ''My body's still healthy and my mind's fairly healthy. It's been injured here and there along the way, but I think I can manage.''
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
The least surprising news of the offseason just became official: the San Francisco Giants have declined the 2014 options for pitcher Barry Zito, and outfielder Andres Torres. This is, obviously, not surprising at all. In fact, if the Giants had not done this, it would have been breaking news of the most extreme variety. Both Zito and Torres are aging veterans coming off very...
The San Francisco Giants have formally parted ways with left-hander Barry Zito, declining to exercise his $18 million contract option for next season and instead owing him a $7 million buyout.
Also Saturday, San Francisco declined its $3 million mutual option for outfielder Andres Torres and must pay him a $500,000 buyout.
Zito, 35, has known this moment was coming, and recently...
To the surprise of no one, the Giants declined their 2014 club option for left-hander Barry Zito, the team announced. They'll pay him a staggering $7 million buyout right now rather than an $18 million salary next season.
Zito, 35, went 5-11 with a 5.74 ERA (58 ERA+) and 1.70 WHIP in 133 1/3 innings across 25 starts and five relief appearances this past season. He appeared in...
The San Francisco Giants have always been the type to take it easy in the off season. Never moving to make a huge splash, well none that never really turned out to well. But this is the future and the recipe has seemed to change after winning the World Series in 2 out of 3 past years. GM Brian Sabean and company finally sound open to spend on their product and supply this team with...
The Giants officially declined their $18.0 million option on lefthander Barry Zito and will instead pay him the $7 million buyout.
This comes as no surprise to anyone the least of whom is Zito himself, who took out a full page ad three weeks ago to thank San Francisco Giants fans.
This brings to an end the seven year relationship with the Giants who signed him to deal worth $126...
Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com did a live chat with San Francisco Giants fans on Wednesday (10/30/13). Below are some of the main points of the chat.
Baggarly doesn’t think Japanese pitcher Masahiro Tanaka is a realistic target for the Giants. The Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Yankees will be bidding, so the price will likely end up more than what the Giants are...
At the end of the season, general manager Brian Sabean and manager Bruce Bochy both said that pitcher Ryan Vogelsong deserved the benefit of the doubt after his stinker of a 2013 campaign.
It turns out they weren’t lying. The team is currently in the midst of restructuring Vogey’s contract so that he can return to the team for a smaller sum of money than his player option...
There are already over 150 players who filed for free agency, but one who might be an interesting fit for the New York Mets might be Barry Zito.
If given the choice of trying to fill a back-of-the-rotation hole between Johan Santana and Zito, I would make a run at Zito, even though he had a miserable 5-11 record and 5.74 ERA in 2013 for the simple reason he is healty.
With two vacancies in their starting rotation, the San Francisco Giants are attempting to re-sign right-handed starter Ryan Vogelsong at low-salary, incentive-laden contract after declining his $6.5 million option for 2014.
According to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea, talks have ignited between the two parties with an eye toward a resolution.
The decision to decline Vogelsong’s...
The last team standing in 2012 has been the first one to hit the ground running this offseason.
The Giants, after a disappointing and failed title defense, head into the winter with a pair of items already crossed off the shopping list. The front office pulled a rare move, locking up two priorities -- Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum -- in the weeks before they were set to test free...
The San Francisco Giants pounced all over their free agents to be, signing Hunter Pence and Tim Lincecum to lucrative deals before they even had the chance to hit the open market. $90 million and $35 million later, their top two offseason goals have been accomplished.
On to goal number three: Javier Lopez. The Giants were widely expected to trade the stellar left-handed specialist...
This story is simply brilliant.
As a fellow Batman enthusiast, my heart melted at the news that the Make-A-Wish-Foundation was going to turn San Francisco into a mini-Gotham City for a boy with leukemia, who finds solace in the strength of Batman as he fights his own daily battles.
The Huffington Post reported:
On November 15, the Bay Area Make-A-Wish Foundation is turning San...
Imagine this absolutely crazy scenario: AT&T Park hosting 162 games a season . . . 81 for the San Francisco Giants, and . . . 81 for the Oakland Athletics. Huh?!? Well, folks, it simply may be true. By now most of you know the story: the A’s lease at the Coliseum is up, and the team wants to move to San Jose. But Major League Baseball is attempting to block the move...
The Giants have informed Ryan Vogelsong that the club won’t pick up his $6.5 million option, but sources say the two sides have begun discussions on a restructured contract.
The Giants are interested in bringing back Vogelsong, but for a smaller guaranteed salary with incentives based on innings and/or starts.
The club is expected to announce its intention with Vogelsong on Monday...
The first annual Dan Meyer Awards were a big success. While most of the world is focusing on players that succeeded in 2013, the DMAs focused on the dark side of batting statistics. Today, we are focusing on pitchers who were terrible in 2013. And despite this being more of a pitching era than a hitting era, there are no shortage of terrible pitching performances in this past season...