Final: Phillies 4, Marlins 1.
WP: Cole Hamels (17-6, 3.05 ERA) LP: Nathan Eovaldi (4-13, 4.30 ERA) SV: Jonathan Papelbon (38)
Most of the Phillies' scoring today came right in the top of the first inning. After Jimmy Rollins walked and Juan Pierre singled to center field, Chase Utley hit a sacrifice fly- RBI for the first run of the game. Carlos Ruiz followed with a RBI-double, which scored Juan Pierre. A couple of batters later, Nate Schierholtz singled to left field, scoring Ruiz, giving the Phillies the early 3-0 lead.
Up 3-1 in the top of the 8th, Domonic Brown provided an extra insurance run coming via a sacrifice fly RBI to center field. Brown now has 26 RBIs this season in 175 at-bats.
Cole Hamels lasted seven innings today, allowing jusy one run on five hits and one walk. He struck out eight Miami batters, and threw well enough for his career single-season high of 17 wins. 68 of his 99 total pitches were thrown for strikes.
Jonathan Papelbon recorded his 38th save of the season in the bottom of the ninth inning. The previous time he saved 38 games or more was back in 2009 with the Boston Red Sox. His career single-season high was set back in 2008, when he saved 41 games.
Kyle Kendrick (10-12) starts the opener for the final series of the season tomorrow, Monday, evening away at Nationals Park. The game will start at 7:05 pm EST, and can be seen on CSN and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM. The Phillies must finish (2-1) in the final three games of the season against the Nats to finish over the (.500 mark).
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Cole Hamels: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 SO, 0 HR, 3.05 ERA
- Nathan Eovaldi: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 7 SO, 0 HR, 4.30 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 4.24 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.20 ERA
- Dan Jennings (7th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.96 ERA
- Mike Dunn (8th): 0.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.70 ERA
- Ryan Webb (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.17 ERA
- Heath Bell (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 5.03 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 1, Marlins 0): Chase Utley out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder Bryan Petersen. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 2, Marlins 0): Carlos Ruiz doubles (31) on a sharp line drive to left fielder Bryan Petersen. Juan Pierre scores.
- Top of the 1st (Phillies 3, Marlins 0): Nate Schierholtz singles on a soft line drive to left fielder Bryan Petersen. Carlos Ruiz scores.
- Bottom of the 4th (Phillies 3, Marlins 1): Carlos Lee singles on a soft line drive to right fielder Domonic Brown. Jose Reyes scores.
- Top of the 8th (Phillies 4, Marlins 1): Domonic Brown out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Gorkys Hernandez. Chase Utley scores.
- Monday, October 1, 2012; 7:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (80-79) at Washington Nationals (96-62)
- Kyle Kendrick (10-12, 4.08 ERA) vs. TBA
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff