Final: Phillies 4, Marlins 0.
WP: Cole Hamels (13-6, 2.91 ERA) LP: Nathan Eovaldi (3-8, 4.28 ERA)
With Cole Hamels going nine scoreless innings tonight, he has now thrown a total of 22 consecutive scoreless innings. The newly signed lefty ace for the Phillies allowed just seven hits and one walk tonight, while striking out five batters to lower his ERA below the 3.00 mark.
Hamels's opposition, Nathan Eovaldi who was acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers for Hanley Ramirez, allowed the Phillies to score early off of him. All in all, Eovaldi lasted just five innings, giving up a total of eight hits, three walks and three runs (two earned). Juan Pierre had the biggest night for the Phillies, going 3-5 with one run scored and one run batted in. He hit his fifth triple of the season (91st of his career) in the top of the 4th inning to score Jimmy Rollins, which gave the Phillies a 3-0 lead.
Cole Hamels now has six career shutouts, two in the 2012 season. He previously had not thrown a shutout, prior to his last start on August 7th against the Braves, since September of 2009. According to Todd Zolecki, he is the third Phillies pitcher to throw consecutive shutouts in the last 20 seasons, joining Cory Lidle (2004) and Cliff Lee (2011).
With playing in tonight's game, Jimmy Rollins has now tied Larry Bowa for the most games played as a shortstop in Phillies history (1,730).
Kyle Kendrick (4-9), who has thrown in both the starting rotation and bullpen throughout the 2012 season, will oppose Marlins ace Josh Johnson (7-8) in the second game of the series Tuesday evening. Johnson was a highly coveted pitcher at the trading deadline, even before Hamels was taken off the market as the Phillies extended him to a new contract.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Cole Hamels: 9.0 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 0 HR, 2.91 ERA
- Nathan Eovaldi: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 4.28 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Carlos Zambrano (6th, 7th): 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.38 ERA
- Mike Dunn (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 3.86 ERA
- Ryan Webb (9th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.76 ERA
- Top of the 3rd (Phillies 1, Marlins 0): Chase Utley doubles (5) on a line drive to right fielder Giancarlo Stanton. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Top of the 3rd (Phillies 2, Marlins 0): John Mayberry reaches on a fielding error by third baseman Greg Dobbs. Juan Pierre scores.
- Top of the 4th (Phillies 3, Marlins 0): Juan Pierre triples (5) on a line drive to right fielder Giancarlo Stanton. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Top of the 7th (Phillies 4, Marlins 0): Erik Kratz out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Justin Ruggiano. Domonic Brown scores.
- Tuesday, August 14, 2012; 7:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (53-62) at Miami Marlins (52-64)
- Kyle Kendrick (4-9, 4.86 ERA) vs. Josh Johnson (7-8, 3.88 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff