Final: Cardinals 4, Phillies 1.
WP: Jake Westbrook (12-8, 3.62 ERA)
LP: Cliff Lee (2-7, 3.85 ERA)
SV: Jason Motte (26)
For whatever reason, the Philadelphia Phillies cannot seem to build momentum after a win in 2012. Friday night was a glimpse of the team we have grown accustom to during this recent playoff stretch starting from 2007 to what it looks like its conclusion in 2011. Roy Halladay went eight strong innings, and the closer, Jonathan Papelbon, earned a save in the 9th.
Things weren't so perfect tonight, unfortunately. Cliff Lee was throwing smoothly up until the six inning, when he allowed the game-winning runs to cross the plate via a three-run home run by Matt Holliday. Lee went seven innings tonight, allowing ten hits and four runs while walking none and striking out six. The last time Cliff Lee won a game at home was on September 5, 2011. Essentially three weeks from being an entire year ago.
Offensively, the Phillies did not perform up to expectations against Jake Westbrook, now a (97-92) life-time right-handed pitcher who played the majority of his career (2001 to 2010) for the Cleveland Indians. They produced just four hits and walked only twice, leaving nine men on base.
The month of August, let alone the entire year, hasn't been kind to lefty Cliff Lee so far. In 15.0 innings pitched (2 starts), Lee has allowed 18 hits and 8 earned runs. Surprisingly however, he has not walked a batter while striking out 11.
Vance Worley starts Sunday afternoon in the rubber-match of the series with the first pitch at 1:35 pm ET. He will oppose NL Cy Young candidate Lance Lynn, a right-hander who has surprised all of baseball this season.
Attendance: 44,233 (Sellout).
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Jake Westbrook: 7.2 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 3.62 ERA
- Cliff Lee: 7.0 IP, 10 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 6 SO, 1 HR, 3.85 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Marc Rzepczynski (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 4.54 ERA
- Jason Motte (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 2.57 ERA
- B.J. Rosenberg (8th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 8.53 ERA
- Raul Valdes (8th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 3.28 ERA
- Michael Schwimer (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 3.41 ERA
- Bottom of the 1st (Cardinals 0, Phillies 1): Ryan Howard grounds into a force out. Domonic Brown scores.
- Top of the 6th (Cardinals 3, Phillies 1): Matt Holliday homers (22) on a fly ball to right field. Jon Jay score, Allen Craig score.
- Top of the 8th (Cardinals 4, Phillies 1): Carlos Beltran singles on a line drive to left fielder Laynce Nix. Allen Craig scores.
- Sunday, August 12, 2012; 1:35 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (51-62) vs. St. Louis Cardinals (62-52)
- Vance Worley (6-7, 3.83 ERA) vs. Lance Lynn (13-5, 3.52 ERA)
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff