Found January 17, 2013 on
MLB Injury News:
After Mike Napoli reportedly was close to signing three-year deal with the Boston Red Sox early in the offseason, news of a potential hip problem surfaced. Napoli's physical revealed the injury and caused Boston to back away from the three-year deal. The two sides are now reportedly closing in on a one-year contract.
According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, Napoli is likely to settle for a one-year deal at this point. And Boston will probably be alright with that. Edes says there are still some hurdles to clear before a deal gets done, but it is looking more likely that Napoli will play for the Red Sox in 2013. The biggest hurdle is probably going to be hammering out the compensation if Napoli signs a one-year deal.
In 2012, Napoli battled through a quadriceps injury, but any issue with his hip remained a mystery. He did not have quite the season he did in 2011, but still managed to show off his power. Last season, Napoli hit .227/.343/.469 with 24 home runs in 108 games.
Napoli had his breakout year in 2011 after coming over from the Los Angeles Angels. He hit .320/.414/.631 with 30 home runs. Napoli made his first All-Star appearance last season.
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
BEST OF MAXIM
The latest from the story that won't die comes from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, who says that the Sox and Mike Napoli have made progress to the point that something is expected to be finalized next week. But that doesn't mean it's done:
Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus...
It's over! It's finally over. The Red Sox & Mike Napoli have finally settled on a contract. That worry about Casey Kotchman possibly starting for us? GONE. EVERYBODY REJOICE.
According to WEEI's Rob Bradford:
According to a major league source, the Red Sox and Mike Napoli have reached an agreement on what is believed to be a one-year deal.
So we get Napoli...
More than one month after initially agreeing to a three-year, $39 million contract, Mike Napoli and the Boston Red Sox have come to terms on a one-year deal that will pay him $5 million, according to a major-league source.
The initial deal was nullified when a health concern arose as part of Napoli's physical exam.
Incentive clauses in the contract could allow Napoli...
Signing Mike Napoli looked like it was going to be the Red Sox’ first big move of the offseason. Seven weeks and a few transactions later, signing Napoli might be the Red Sox’ last big move of the offseason.
If it is, it’s Ben Cherington‘s best work.
While the Red Sox began to take some heat from those insisting the club should explore other first-base options, Cherington...
Mike Napoli and the Red Sox will finally touch pen to paper on a new contract soon, sources told ESPN Boston on Thursday. Napoli and the Sox have reportedly agreed on a one-year, $5 million contract with incentives that could reward Napoli with a $13 million payout in 2013.
This news comes nearly two months after it was initially reported that the Red Sox had signed the free agent...
Mike Napoli's deal with the Boston Red Sox might be shrinking. The free agent catcher/first baseman and the team are closing in on a one-year contract, according to ESPNBoston.com. Napoli and the Red Sox agreed to terms on a three-year, $39 million deal last month at the winter meetings, but the contract was never signed, reportedly because the 31-year-old veteran failed his...
It seems very likely that Mike Napoli will be playing for the Red Sox in 2013. Speaking before the Red Sox Town Hall on Thursday, Ben Cherington would not confirm the reports that the Sox have agreed to a one-year deal with the veteran slugger, but he did seem very optimistic that something could be announced before long.
Cherington acknowledged that the Red Sox have made progress...
It’s been more than seven weeks since reports surfaced stating that Mike Napoli was Boston bound, but we might actually have a resolution relatively soon.
According to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman, Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the original three-year, $39 million deal hit a snag.
Multiple reports have indicated that...
After weeks of waiting, it appears that the Mike Napoli saga is about to come to a close.
The Red Sox and Napoli have agreed to terms on a one-year deal, according to WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford.
Originally, it was reported that the team had signed the first baseman/catcher to a three-year deal worth $39 million. However, apparent issues on a physical prevented the Red Sox from making...
Back on December 3, 2012, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli had agreed to a three-year deal worth $39 million.
Over time as the Red Sox signed other players, the team never officially announced the deal. It turned out there had been problems with Napoli's physical and the Red Sox wanted to renegotiate his contract.
45 days later, it looks as though that's finally...
After almost a month after originally agreeing to a three year deal, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a restructured one year, $5 million deal, according to WEEI.
Napoli and the Red Sox initially agreed to a three year, $39 million deal in early December, but, after a physical, the Red Sox noticed some red flags on Napoli's nagging hip. After more than...
Catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli will sign a one-year, $5 million contract with the Boston Red Sox, ESPN reported Thursday. The deal could reportedly jump to $13 million due to incentives. Napoli agreed to a three-year, $39 million contract earlier in the offseason but the deal was off because he failed his physical. The two sides reportedly agreed to shorter terms. The Texas...
The Boston Red Sox and free agent Mike Napoli initially had a three year contract in place, a deal that is pretty much voided now because of health concerns. Even so the player and team continue to talk and work towards a new deal. Jim Bowden of ESPN is reporting that the two teams are making significant progress towards a new, one-year deal.
The Red Sox and Mike Napoli have nothing...
Matt Harrison gets a big payday, the Red Sox and Mike Napoli reach a new agreeement, and Peter Moylan is a Dodger.
The Red Sox’ roster is taking shape with pitchers and catchers scheduled to report to spring training in less than a month. But general manager Ben Cherington isn’t ruling out adding some pieces between now and then.
Cherington said before Thursday’s Red Sox Town Hall that he’s looking at some bench options, specifically a left-handed bat who can play both the outfield and...