Tyler Austin headlines the list of those promoted through the system in the past few days (Photo Credit: Mark LoMoglio/Yankees)
Every year on September 1st, Major League Baseball expands their rosters from 25 players to 40 players, pulling players mainly from their Triple-A affiliate. The result is some players realizing their dreams of playing in the Major Leagues, while also stripping potential playoff contending minor league teams of some of their key players. As a result, the first couple days of September often see vast movement throughout each team’s minor league system. For the Yankees, there were moves at all three top levels, where two of the teams have already clinched division titles and are well on their way to the playoffs.
After seeing six players called up 0n Friday and IF Ramiro Pena designated for assignment, the International League North champions had quite a few holes to fill on the roster. To do so, they pulled from both the Trenton and Tampa affiliates, as well as their disabled list, causing a domino effect throughout the system.
- C Jose Gil, RP Jon Meloan and RP Francisco Rondon have been promoted to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre from Trenton
- SP Matt Tracy and IF Yadil Mujica have been promoted to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre from Tampa
- IF Doug Bernier and C Ryan Baker have been activated from Disabled List
As they head into the playoffs, the Eastern League East champions lost two of its top relief pitchers t0 Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, as well as one of their three catchers. As a result, they pulled three players from High-A Tampa, including one of the top prospects in the Yankees system who may make an instant impact on the Thunder line-up.
- OF Tyler Austin, RP Branden Pinder, and RP Tom Kahnle were all promoted to Trenton from Tampa
Tampa was defeated by Lakeland this morning, ending the season for the Yankees. Before the game, they pulled from both their Gulf Coast League affiliate and their disabled list to fill out their roster for the final game of the season.
- RP Kenedy Agramonte, RP Rich Mascheri, C David Remedios from GCL
- C Hector Rabago activated from Disabled List
Follow Dan on Twitter @danpfeiffer74 for more insight and analysis regarding the New York Yankees and the Yankee farm system.