Found January 10, 2012 on The Nats Blog:

The Washington Nationals didn't place a bid to purchase the rights Japanese pitcher Yu Darvish this offseason, but he may be the leading factor blocking Prince Fielder's arrival in DC.  Jon Heyman of is reporting that Darvish and the Texas Rangers, the team that won exclusive negotiating rights to his contract, are not close to a deal.

The Rangers paid a $51.7 million posting fee to the Nippon Ham Fighters to negotiate a deal with Darvish.  According to reports, Darvish has been offered a contract similar to Daisuke Matsuzaka, the Boston Red Sox pitcher, of around $52 million.  All in all, that would be almost $104 million out of the purse of the Rangers organization.

How does this affect the Nationals?  Well, the Rangers have also been tied to the Prince Fielder.  If Texas doesn't successfully sign Darvish, he will return to the Nippon Ham Fighters and the Rangers will get their $51.7 million posting fee back, plus they won't have doled out as much as $90 million to sign Darvish.  All that means the Rangers will have more than $100 million, and could have as much as $140 million, burning a hole in their pockets.

Fielder's superagent Scott Boras is certainly aware that more bidders are better.  So it isn't just possible, it is likely, that fans across NatsTown have been forced to wait not because of the Nats front office, but because of the Rangers front office.

The Rangers have another week to decide what to do with Darvish, but you can expect once that's wrapped up one way or another, Prince will sign somewhere very soon after. 


Cecil thinks Prince is going to D.C.

Though their relationship is said to be strained, Cecil Fielder says he talked to his son, Prince, and thinks he's going to sign with the Nats.

There's a "1 percent" chance that the Nationals sign Prince Fielder, according to a baseball source.

(Prince Fielder is a pretty good bowler, too. Screencap via this TWCSports video.) ...not our baseball source, of course. (Partly because we don't have sources - we simply have people who seem to know stuff and are usually right.) And so, we couldn't help but re-purpose the opening sentence of Bill Ladson's "Nationals unlikely to sign Prince at current price...

For Mariners, is Prince Fielder speculation ‘extremely overblown’?

Mariners fans really, really want the team to sign star free-agent first baseman Prince Fielder. But all that speculation may be “extremely overblown.” At least, so says ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick on Twitter. That’s what an agent apparently told him. On 710 AM ESPN Seattle radio Tuesday afternoon, Crasnick said Fielder probably won’t be calling Safeco [...]

The Nats Probably Have Higher Than a 1% Chance of Signing Prince Fielder... beat reporter Bill Ladson made the hearts of Nats fans everywhere sink today when he wrote that a source informed him there is a "99 percent chance" that the club will not sign Prince Fielder. According to Ladson, someone with knowledge of the negotiations believes that the current asking price for the All-Star first baseman is just too high: "There...

Nationals now unlikely to sign Prince Fielder

(source feed provided no summary content for this entry)

Buster Olney thinks the Dodgers should sign Prince Fielder

The Dodgers' ownership flux will be resolved in the next couple months, with Jan. 23 being a big day. And with the the 23rd approaching quickly, Buster Olney penned a column (ESPN Insider required) today stating the Dodgers should sign Prince Fielder."There's one more thing McCourt can do to add to the feeding frenzy, however. He should go out and sign Prince Fielder...

MLB Rumors: Cecil Says Prince is Headed to Nats, Wood Sets a Deadline for Deal, Aoki Works Out for Brewers, and More

Hot Stove and Hall of Fame Monday is shaping up to be a busy day filled with rumors. According to MLB Network Radio and reported by The Brewers Bar, father of Prince Fielder, Cecil Fielder said after being told by the radio host that they need Prince in Washington DC, “ I think that’s what’s gonna happen, man… personally, I think that’s going to happen.” The two have...

Yoga: An Explanation

Once the baseball season starts back up, you can be sure that the first few weeks we’ll hear all about the “off-season regimen” that certain players undertook.  I’m sure the announcers will talk about the shortstop who lifted weights to improve his strength and the right-fielder who did ballet to improve his footwork.  If we’re really lucky, there could even be a story...

Holes to Fill (NL)

Congratulations to the newest member of the Hall of Fame Barry Larkin and onwards with the belated second part of my series on how contenders can use the remaining free agents to fill key gaps on their rosters: Miami Marlins Need: Centre field They might not be targeting a new centre fielder, they seem quite content with giving Chris Coughlin the job, but that doesn’t mean they...
MLB News
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!

Today's Best Stuff
For Bloggers

Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.

Company Info
What is Yardbarker?

Yardbarker is the largest network of sports blogs and pro athlete blogs on the web. This site is the hub of the Yardbarker Network, where our editors and algorithms curate the best sports content from our network and beyond.