Final: Pirates 5, Phillies 4.
WP: A.J. Burnett (9-2, 3.31 ERA)
LP: Kyle Kendrick (2-8, 5.35 ERA)
SV: Joel Hanrahan (20)
Kyle Kendrick started today for the Phillies, looking to get his team a winning record for the home-stand. Unfortunately, having already given up five runs in the top of the first inning, the Phillies' offense could not retake the lead the rest of the way.
The Phillies will travel to Miami for the first time to oppose the Marlins in a three-game series. Cliff Lee starts the first game of the series Friday evening.
Attendance: 44,521 (245th consecutive regular-season sellout).Notes:
- Howard Watch: Ryan begins his rehab assignment tonight with the Lakewood BlueClaws. He will DH and hit fourth.
- RHP Brian Sanches had his contract selected from Lehigh Valley (AAA). Replaces LHP Joe Savery who was optioned after Wednesday's game.
- RHP Chad Qualls has designated for assignment. LHP Horst's contract has been selected from Lehigh Valley (AAA). After receiving the news of a demotion, Qualls requested a trade.
- Horst was 2-1 with a 2.11 ERA in 26 appearances with Triple-A Lehigh Valley this season. The Phillies acquired him this offseason from the Cincinnati Reds for Wilson Valdez.
- According to Reuben Frank, Ruben Amaro says there was internal discussion about bringing back Brad Lidge, but the Phillies "ultimately decided against it".
- Hunter Pence's home run in the Bottom of the 8th inning was his first since June 2 against the Miami Marlins.
- The Phillies are 0-33 when they trail after eight innings.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Kyle Kendrick: 7.0 IP, 6 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO, 2 HR, 5.35 ERA
- A.J. Burnett: 6.2 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 7 SO, 1 HR, 3.31 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Juan Cruz (7th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.73 ERA
- Brian Sanches (8th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 9.00 ERA
- Jason Grilli (8th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 2 SO, 1 HR, 2.05 ERA
- Jeremy Horst (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Joel Hanrahan (9th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.10 ERA
- Top of the 1st (Pirates 1, Phillies 0): Garrett Jones singles on a line drive to right fielder Hunter Pence. Drew Sutton scores.
- Top of the 1st (Pirates 4, Phillies 0): Casey McGehee homers (5) on a fly ball to left center field. Neil Walker, Garrett Jones score.
- Top of the 1st (Pirates 5, Phillies 0): Pedro Alvarez homers (14) on a line drive to right field.
- Bottom of the 2nd (Pirates 5, Phillies 2): Erik Kratz homers (2) on a fly ball to center field. Ty Wigginton scores.
- Bottom of the 6th (Pirates 5, Phillies 3): Placido Polanco grounds into a force out. Shane Victorino scores.
- Bottom of the 8th (Pirates 5, Phillies 4): Hunter Pence homers (14) on a line drive to left field.
- Friday, June 29, 2012; 7:10 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (36-42) at Miami Marlins (35-40)
- Cliff Lee (0-4, 3.72 ERA) vs. Josh Johnson (4-5, 3.96 ERA)
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff