Found May 24, 2012 on
Buzz On Broad:
St. Louis Cardinals
Final: Phillies 10, Cardinals 9.
WP: Raul Valdes (1-0)
LP: Fernando Salas (0-3)
SV: Jonathan Papelbon (13)
The 2012 season of Joe Blanton has been quite the story. In his first seven starts, he held a quality 2.81 ERA. In his last two starts (8.2 IP) however, he has allowed 13 runs and six home runs on 19 total hits.
After a combined offensive production of 33 hits between the two teams, the Phillies ultimately prevailed, winning by a final score of 10-9.
- David Freese's 7th inning home run against Chad Qualls, at 456 feet, was the second-longest in Busch Stadium III history.
- Of the Phillies' 18 hits tonight, 12 have come with two outs.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Joe Blanton: 4.1 IP, 10 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO, 2 HR, 4.55 ERA
- Jake Westbrook: 3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R, 6 ER, 3 BB, 4 SO, 0 HR, 3.21 ERA
In the 'Pen:
- Brandon Dickson (4th, 5th): 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Raul Valdes (5th): 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 0.00 ERA
- Fernando Salas (6th): 1.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 6.32 ERA
- Chad Qualls (6th, 7th): 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 1 HR, 4.32 ERA
- Victor Marte (7th, 8th): 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 1 HR, 3.98 ERA
- Jake Diekman (7th): 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 7.20 ERA
- Mitchell Boggs (8th, 9th): 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 SO, 0 HR, 2.29 ERA
- Antonio Bastardo (8th): 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 HR, 1.98 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 2.45 ERA
Top of the 1st
- (Phillies 1, Cardinals 0): Shane Victorino grounds into a force out. Placido Polanco scores.
- (Phillies 2, Cardinals 0): Ty Wigginton singles on a ground ball to center fielder Skip Schumaker. Hunter Pence scores.
- (Phillies 4, Cardinals 0): Freddy Galvis singles on a ground ball to center fielder Skip Schumaker. Shane Victorino, Ty Wigginton score.
Top of the 2nd
Bottom of the 3rd
- (Phillies 6, Cardinals 0): Shane Victorino doubles (10) on a line drive to center fielder Skip Schumaker. Hunter Pence, Carlos Ruiz score.
Top of the 5th
- (Phillies 6, Cardinals 1): Matt Holliday grounds out. Jake Westbrook scores.
- (Phillies 6, Cardinals 2): Carlos Beltran singles on a line drive to center fielder Shane Victorino. Skip Schumaker scores.
- (Phillies 6, Cardinals 3): David Freese doubles (7) on a fly ball to center fielder Shane Victorino. Carlos Beltran scores.
- (Phillies 6, Cardinals 4): Yadier Molina singles on a ground ball to center fielder Shane Victorino. David Freese scores.
Bottom of the 5th
- (Phillies 7, Cardinals 4): Placido Polanco singles on a line drive to right fielder Carlos Beltran. Freddy Galvis scores.
Top of the 6th
- (Phillies 7, Cardinals 5): Matt Holliday homers (10) on a flu ball to left field.
- (Phillies 7, Cardinals 7): Yadier Molina homers (6) on a fly ball to center field. David Freese scores.
- (Phillies 8, Cardinals 7): Freddy Galvis singles on a line drive to center fielder Shane Robinson. Shane Victorino scores.
- (Phillies 9, Cardinals 7): Mike Fontenot singles on a line drive to left fielder Matt Holliday. Ty Wigginton scores.
Bottom of the 7th
- (Phillies 9, Cardinals 8): David Freese homers (10) on a fly ball to center field.
Top of the 8th
- (Phillies 10, Cardinals 8): Ty Wigginton homers (3) on a fly ball to center field.
Bottom of the 8th
- (Phillies 10, Cardinals 9): Skip Schumaker out on a sacrifice fly to left fielder John Mayberry. Steven Hill scores.
- Friday, May 25, 2012; 8:15 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (23-23) at St. Louis Cardinals (25-20)
- Cliff Lee (0-2, 2.66 ERA) vs. Kyle Lohse (5-1, 2.91 ERA)
- TV: CSN
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Philadelphia Phillies storyline: Chase’s on 1st?
isportswebChase Utley will travel with the Philadelphia Phillies on the road trip before he competes at first-stop Clearwater. What happens at 2nd base when he returns? How often will Chase be stationed at 1st? Where does Freddy Galvis fit in?
TAL'S HANDY CAPS
Penthouse Occupancy for the 5-2 outcome...
The five-time defending National League East champion Philadelphia Phillies have underachieved in the first two months of the 2012 season. They will enter Memorial Day weekend in last place. They have spent most of the month under the .500 mark. But en route to their second straight win over the defending World Champion St. Louis Cardinals on Friday night, sparks flew in the dugout...
A Roy Halladay bobblehead (at one point) available for sale at MLB.com had the Phillies hurler pitching left-handed, not right-handed, and his pitching form is all messed up.
How bad has it been for the Phillies in run-scoring situations?Pence is struggling with RISP.Only Ike Davis has more at-bats with runners in scoring position than Hunter Pence in the National League. Pence is getting his opportunities and doing nothing with them. Among batters with at least 25 plate appearances with runners in scoring position, Pence’s .714 OPS ranks 63rd in...
When the Phillies drafted high-school standout Anthony Hewitt with the #24 overall pick in the 2008 draft, most scouts seemed to agree that Hewitt was a "high risk, high reward" choice. Unfortunately for the Phillies, it seems very unlikely that Anthony Hewitt will play in the friendly confines of Citizens Bank Park anytime soon.
Hewitt warms up prior to a game on May...
The Phillies stink. It's like watching the mid to late 90's teams, except with a bloated payroll. So, in other news...Ex-Phillies "prospects" Mike Costanzo, Qunitin Berry, and Rich Thompson are getting their shot in the show.Mike Costanzo was a 2nd round pick for Philadelphia in 2005. He was going to be the future at 3rd base. Yeah, not quite. He's...
First and foremost, bobbleheads are stupid. I don't care enough to look back into the history of bobbleheads or the history of bobbleheads used as giveaways or sold by Major League Baseball clubs, but it is now officially time for the the bobblehead era to end in baseball.The reason? MLB.com created a bobblehead of the best pitcher in the game over the last ten years... And...
While the rest of the baseball world waited with baited breath on Wednesday night to see the rematch of Cole Hamels vs. Bryce Harper, the Phillies left-handed starter seemed disinterested in fanning the flames of hype beforehand. "I had nine guys that I had to face, so it wasn't in my mind," Hamels said. Hamels went out and pitched on Wednesday night like he didn...
Phillies (22-23) v. St. Louis Cardinals (25-19)Pitching Matchups:Thursday, 7:05 - Joe Blanton v. Jake WestbrookFriday, 7:05 - Cliff Lee v. Kyle LohseSaturday, 7:15 - Oh great, it's KK v. Jaime GarciaSunday, 1:35 - Roy Halladay v. Adam WainwrightWhat the heck happened to Kyle Lohse? For 10 years he was a sub-.500 pitcher with a career 4.79 ERA. The last year he dropped his ERA...
What kind of hammerhead shark designed this bobble head? The doll has Doc Halladay in his wind-up, ready to throw with the glove on his pitching hand! This either had to be designed somewhere in Pakistan, or by my 80 year old grandmother.
ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Shane Victorino and Freddy Galvis each drove in three runs, including Galvis' go-ahead single in the sixth inning, and the Philadelphia Philles beat the St. Louis Cardinals 10-9 on Thursday night.
Placido Polanco, Carlos Ruiz and Ty Wigginton added three hits apiece for Philadelphia, which had a season-high 18.
Jonathan Papelbon pitched the ninth for his 13th...
ST. LOUIS Shelby Fetsch rushes from the mound into the arms of the love of her life. For her, everything that follows becomes a blur: the cheers at Busch Stadium, the pictures, the congratulations from strangers, the joy that comes with knowing she and her boyfriend specialist William Johanson-Kubin of the 463rd Military Police Company are now engaged.
Fetsch's hands shake...
Cole Hamels pitched eight innings of shutout baseball to lead the Philadelphia Phillies to a 4-1 win over the Washington Nationals.
It would not have possible if not for the defense.
In the top of the sixth, Espinosa was thrown out trying to advance on a Ryan Zimmerman single.
Hunter Pence fielded the ball, then delivered a one-hop strike to Carlos Ruiz, who blocked the plate.
This 4-game series in St. Louis looks like it is going to be a real adventure, especially after last night’s wild 10-9 Phillies victory over the Cardinals. There was a lot of action in this one.
The Phillies got off to a hot start, scoring 6 runs in the first two innings, something they have been unable to do most of the year so far. But the 6-0 lead was on shaky ground fast as...
Sportscasters love to call St. Louis Cardinals fans the best in sports; I suppose because they're so genteel and friendly and because they don't engage in the shenanigans that you see elsewhere. For instance, you'd never see some nut jump on the field at Busch Stadium and get tackled by security. They don't do THAT in the mid-west. Well, until Thursday that is. A...