Final: Marlins 1, Phillies 3.
WP: Cliff Lee (5-7, 3.36 ERA) LP: Josh Johnson (7-12, 3.82 ERA) SV: Jonathan Papelbon (34)
T0day, both teams offensively were quiet up until the sixth inning. The Phillies especially, having being no-hit until Jimmy Rollins singled to lead off the inning. Prior to that, however, Carlos Lee singled with two-outs to right fielder Domonic Brown, giving Miami a 1-0 lead. In the bottom half, the Phillies retaliated and tied the game with a clutch two-out RBI single of their own from Phillies' outfielder John Mayberry.
Then there was Jimmy. Again with two-outs, the Phillies capitalized as Jimmy Rollins hit a two-run home run to right field off of Marlins' ace Josh Johnson in the bottom of the seventh inning. That broke the tie, gave the Phillies a 3-1 lead. Much credit goes to Pete Orr for stealing second base, possibly putting pressure on the opposing pitcher.
Cliff Lee pitched as well as anyone could ask for this afternoon. He allowed zero earned runs over seven innings of work, allowing just four hits and one walk. An unearned run crossed the plate in the top of the sixth, which got on-base from Jimmy Rollins' 12th fielding error of the season. Rollins made up for his error with a game-winning home run, securing Lee his fifth victory of the season. 72 of Lee's 107 total pitches were thrown for strikes.
Phillippe Aumont and Jonathan Papelbon shut the door in the eighth and ninth respectively to put the Phillies over the .500 mark- their seventh consecutive victory. With a St. Louis Cardinals loss this afternoon, the Phillies could potentially be just three games out of the wildcard race.
The Phillies will now head to Houston to play the Astros in a four-game series. This will be the last non-interleague meeting between the two clubs, as Houston will make the transition to the American League West beginning in the 2013 regular season. Rookie RHP Tyler Cloyd (1-1) will start the first game of the series, which starts at 8:05 pm EST. The game can be seen on MyPHL17 and heard on 1210 WPHT AM & 94 WIP FM.
Starting Pitching Summary:
- Josh Johnson: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 6 SO, 1 HR, 3.82 ERA
- Cliff Lee: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 SO, 0 HR, 3.36 ERA
- Ryan Webb (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 4.07 ERA
- Phillippe Aumont (8th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 SO, 0 HR, 1.08 ERA
- Jonathan Papelbon (9th): 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 2.44 ERA
- Top of the 6th (Marlins 1, Phillies 0): Carlos Lee singles on a ground ball to right fielder Domonic Brown. Donovan Solano scores.
- Bottom of the 6th (Marlins 1, Phillies 1): John Mayberry singles on a line drive to center fielder Gorkys Hernandez. Jimmy Rollins scores.
- Bottom of the 7th (Marlins 1, Phillies 3): Jimmy Rollins homers (19) on a fly ball to right field. Pete Orr scores.
- Thursday, September 13, 2012; 8:05 pm EST
- Philadelphia Phillies (72-71) vs. Houston Astros (45-97)
- Tyler Cloyd (1-1, 4.24 ERA) vs. TBA
- TV: MyPHL17
- Radio: 1210 WPHT, 94 WIP
Matt Rappa is a contributor for Buzz on Broad. You can find him on Twitter at @mattrappa.
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff