Clay Buchholz’s Sunday start against the Baltimore Orioles has been in question since the right-hander exited his last appearance early due to a neck injury. Yesterday, the Boston Red Sox opted to continue playing it
safe with Buchholz, as manager John Farrell told reporters – including JeffSeidel and Teddy Cahill of MLB.com – that the right-hander’s next start would
be pushed back a few days.
At this point, the team is hoping Buchholz can pitch on
Tuesday, but they aren’t setting that in stone.
"As we've stated before, we're going to make sure there
are no symptoms felt," Farrell said. "So we're targeting more like
Tuesday. This is basically two additional days. I wish I could say it's going
to be a concrete thing for Tuesday, but we feel like two additional days with
be [enough] time to get over the soreness. But we won't put him out there until
he's symptom free."
Buchholz has been dealing with neck and AC joint issues lately, and the Red Sox were initially hopeful he’d be able to take the mound
Sunday against the O’s. While the AC joint is OK, Farrell said there continues
to be soreness in Buchholz’s neck, prompting Boston to scratch him Sunday in
favor of Jon Lester.
"Clay threw again today, with some slight
improvement," Farrell said before Thursday's series opener in Baltimore.
"There's still some soreness in that neck muscle, the base of the muscle,
but everything in the AC joint is free and clear."
The Red Sox don’t want to take any chances that would result
in Buchholz required a more extended absence or stint on the disabled list. The
28-year-old has been phenomenal so far this season, posting an ERA of 1.71 to
go with his 1.020 WHIP over 12 starts spanning 84 1/3 innings.
Looking for fantasy baseball advice?