Found January 10, 2013 on
MLB Injury News:
The Boston Red Sox still haven’t finalized their agreement
with first baseman/designated hitter Mike Napoli, as general manager Ben
Cherington told Jim Bowden of ESPN that the slugger “is still a free agent.”
Ben Cherington "We are still looking to add offense to 1B. Mike Napoli is still a free agent"
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) January 9, 2013
The Red Sox continue to pursue players that could fill their
void at first base, something they hoped to have accomplished when an agreement with Napoli was announced earlier last month. But the findings of his physical alarmed the Red Sox, and Napoli’s contract has not yet been finalized.
Cherington told Bowden that there is “simply no deal” with
Napoli at this point. He continues to hold out hope that a contract will be
signed and that the sides can work through the issues to get it done.
Boston will certainly need to figure this out sooner than
later, as the spring is quickly approaching and alternative options are
dwindling just as fast. Adam LaRoche, the only other impact bat at first base
on the free agent market, re-signed with the Washington Nationals recently. The
Red Sox also traded Jerry Sands, a possible alternative, to the Pittsburgh
Pirates in the Joel Hanrahan deal.
var _gaq = _gaq || ;
ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www') + '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script'); s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga, s);
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Rubby De La Rosa has been in the news lately thanks to the Sox development program, and the "news" that Rubby's grandmother was a nanny for Pedro Martinez when he was a boy. It doesn't take much about Pedro to get Red Sox fans' attention.
Anyway, I dare you to read this piece by Alex Speier and not immediately mark Rubby down for eight Cy Youngs over the next...
Every morning, we compile the links of the day and dump them here... highlighting the big storyline. Because there's nothing quite as satisfying as a good morning dump.
Red Sox GM Ben Cherington, appearing on WEEI Thursday night, said he
could offer no update on negotiations with free agent first
baseman-catcher Mike Napoli, other than to say the sides are still talking...
Sox fans rejoice! We're finally going to get our first baseman! According to the Globe's Peter Abraham:
A Major League source told the Globe tonight that the Red Sox are working toward a contract agreement with first baseman Mike Napoli and are "hopeful" of getting it done.
Napoli agreed to terms on a three-year, $39 million deal on Dec. 3. But an issue — believed...
Contract language continues to hold up a Napoli to Boston deal
With the Washington Nationals coming to terms with first-baseman Adam LaRoche early Tuesday morning, the Boston Red Sox have lost their back-up plan to play first-base for the team in the 2013 season. At no point were the Red Sox supposed to be involved in talks for Adam LaRoche, at least not this late in the game. About...
New Red Sox closer Joel Hanrahan visited Fenway Park for first time in his life Tuesday.
Hanrahan, a fan of baseball history, arranged a guided tour - complete with a contingent of media following close behind. He started with the home clubhouse, walked out to left field to see behind the wall where the manual scoreboard is operated, then scaled the wall to check out the view from...
Boston Red Sox pitchers and catchers will report to spring training Feb. 10. Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Ryan Lavarnway may be among them. Two months ago, after the Sox signed veteran backup catcher David Ross, it was widely presumed they would trade either Saltalamacchia or Lavarnway to address an area of greater need, namely starting pitching. But no deal has been made...
After a horrendous season, in which the Sox suffered 93 losses and ended up in last place, they needed to make a splash to keep their fan base happy. The Red Sox started out by signing their former pitching coach John Farrell. Surprisingly he can actually speak English fluently…I think I still have a lingering headache from Bobby Valentine’s nonsensical banter. After signing...
The Red Sox have a new closer — now it’s up to the rest of the team to let him do his thing.
With the acquisition of Joel Hanrahan (and the quick decision to let him supplant Andrew Bailey as the team’s closer), the Sox have arguably one of the best bullpens in baseball. The hope, of course, is that the rest of the team plays well enough to give Hanrahan plenty of save opportunities...
A little insider info, I wrote all of the pitcher profiles for one fantasy baseball preview magazine. (And here I didn't even know they made magazines anymore!) Felix Doubront didn't make the top 100 for that magazine. Did I shortchange them and their readers so I would give more to you Razzball readers? Um, well, I wouldn't say I shortchanged anyone. I just, you...
On Wednesday, regular followers of the official Twitter account of the Boston Red Sox were likely taken aback a bit if they noticed that the account’s avatar was not the traditional BoSox logo but instead the image of some wildman with unkempt hair and a ratty goatee.
But any fears of some hostile takeover by some unstable, weirdo Red Sox fan were unwarranted and soon allayed,...
The Boston Globe’s Peter Abraham has a Hall of Fame vote. And While WEE’s Alex Speier does not, the two debated the issue of steroids and the Baseball Hall of Fame on NESN Daily‘s latest “Two Sides” segment.
While Abraham clearly took an inclusive approach with his ballot, while Speier believes that public opinion is thoroughly turning against all the accused players from...
Adam LaRoche was one thing – the Boston Red Sox didn’t want to sign him to a three-year free-agent contract and forfeit their second-round draft pick as compensation.
But, as the Red Sox enter Day 40 of their standoff with free-agent catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli, why wouldn’t they want to trade for the Washington Nationals’ Mike Morse?
The Sox, sources say,...
Mike Napoli agreed to a three-year, $39 million contract with the Boston Red Sox back on Dec. 3, but Napoli and the team are currently discussing the possibility of shortening the length of the deal to one year because of concerns about Napoli's hip, ESPN.com reported. If the two sides agree to the amended contract, Napoli would get only one guaranteed year, according to...
It’s unclear whether the Red Sox ever seriously considered Adam LaRoche to be a Plan B, but his contract with the Nationals makes completing a deal with Mike Napoli that much more important for Boston.
LaRoche agreed to a two-year contract with Washington on Tuesday, further slimming down an already slim first-base market. The Sox were wise to steer clear of going after the 33...
When signed, will Mike Napoli continue to mash at Fenway?
Since the Red Sox and Mike Napoli informally agreed on terms of a 3 year $39 million contract, the NHL Lockout has been settled, the Patriots are hosting a home playoff game this Sunday and Rajon Rondo has been suspended twice. Now we know why the deal has not been settled, the Red Sox like always are pushing for either...