Found January 17, 2013 on
Sox and Dawgs:
Boston Red Sox
One down, eight to go for Boston Red Sox GM Ben Cherington as the team and Jarrod Saltalamacchia have avoided salary arbitration by agreeing to a one-year, $4.5 million deal.
Here's the release from the Red Sox:
BOSTON, MA—The Boston Red Sox today agreed to terms with catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia on a one-year, non-guaranteed contract for the 2013 season, thus avoiding salary arbitration. Terms were not disclosed. The announcement was made by Executive Vice President/General Manager Ben Cherington.
Saltalamacchia, 27, hit .222 with 25 home runs and 59 RBI in 2012. He led the Red Sox in home runs, the first catcher to do so since Carlton Fisk, who in 1973 and 1977 hit 26, the club record for a catcher.
The switch-hitter set career highs in home runs, RBI, games (121), runs (55), and walks (38). Nearly half (43) of his hits (90) went for extra bases. He ranked third among major league catchers in home runs and finished with the fourth-best slugging percentage (...
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
The Boston Red Sox announced Thursday that catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia agreed to a one-year contract. The deal is worth $4.5 million, Saltalamacchia's agent, James Munsey, told ESPN Boston. The deal means that Saltalamacchia avoids salary arbitration. The Red Sox have eight players still eligible for arbitration, including new closer Joel Hanrahan, reliever Andrew Bailey...
More than one month after initially agreeing to a three-year, $39 million contract, Mike Napoli and the Boston Red Sox have come to terms on a one-year deal that will pay him $5 million, according to a major-league source.
The initial deal was nullified when a health concern arose as part of Napoli's physical exam.
Incentive clauses in the contract could allow Napoli...
Mike Napoli and the Red Sox will finally touch pen to paper on a new contract soon, sources told ESPN Boston on Thursday. Napoli and the Sox have reportedly agreed on a one-year, $5 million contract with incentives that could reward Napoli with a $13 million payout in 2013.
This news comes nearly two months after it was initially reported that the Red Sox had signed the free agent...
John Lackey didn’t pitch at all in 2012, and he struggled mightily throughout his two seasons in Boston before that. Yet as the Red Sox prepare to enter spring training in less than a month, Lackey is very much a wild card in the team’s rotation.
Simply put, we don’t know what to expect from Lackey, who went 26-23 with a 5.26 ERA in two seasons with the Sox before undergoing...
The Boston Red Sox avoided arbitration with new closer Joel Hanrahan after reaching agreement on a one-year deal worth $7.04 million. Hanrahan, who will be eligible for free agency after the 2013 season, came to the Red Sox last month in a trade with Pittsburgh. The Pirates paid him $4.1 million in 2012. Hanrahan posted 36 saves last season and 40 in 2011 with a combined a 2...
The Boston Red Sox signed Jacoby Ellsbury to a one-year contract on Friday, avoiding arbitration with the outfielder.
The oft-injured Ellsbury, 29, a 2011 All-Star, saw a drop in his production last year, finishing with a .271 average, four home runs and 26 RBIs. He will make $9 million, a year after making $8.05 million.
Ellsbury missed 79 games after suffering a right shoulder...
It seems very likely that Mike Napoli will be playing for the Red Sox in 2013. Speaking before the Red Sox Town Hall on Thursday, Ben Cherington would not confirm the reports that the Sox have agreed to a one-year deal with the veteran slugger, but he did seem very optimistic that something could be announced before long.
Cherington acknowledged that the Red Sox have made progress...
The Boston Red Sox and catcher Mike Napoli have agreed to shorten their deal to a one-year contract worth $5 million, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations.
The deal includes the possibility of bonuses that could raise Napoli's 2013 income to $13 million, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity Thursday because the agreement was not yet...
The Red Sox are dodging arbitration like an athletic middle schooler
in a P.E. dodge ball tournament. Earlier this morning on Red Sox Life we
reported that the Sox signed center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury to a one year
contract worth 9 million dollars. Now the newest addition to the Red Sox
organization closer Joel Hanrahan has signed a one year deal worth 7.04 million
You can start breathing again Red Sox Nation. It's been reported
that Jacoby Ellsbury and the Red Sox have agreed to a one-year 9 million dollar
contract. Why is this so significant? The deal avoids a messy arbitration period and keeps Ellsbury in a Red Sox uniform for at least another year.
The contract benefits both parties involved. The Red Sox increase Jacoby's salary...
After almost a month after originally agreeing to a three year deal, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a restructured one year, $5 million deal, according to WEEI.
Napoli and the Red Sox initially agreed to a three year, $39 million deal in early December, but, after a physical, the Red Sox noticed some red flags on Napoli's nagging hip. After more than...
On Thursday came the announcement of the 2013 World Baseball Classic (WBC) provisional rosters and we find four members of the Boston Red Sox represented.
New OF Shane Victorino will represent the United States while P Alfredo Aceves will represent his home country of Mexico.
The other two players are part of the Red Sox minor league system.
SS Xander Bogaerts will play...
WEEI's Rob Bradford is reporting that the Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to terms on a one-year deal. The Sox and Napoli had originally agreed to a three-year deal worth $39 million back on December 3, but Boston's medical staff had concerns after the 31 year old's physical. Yesterday, Jon Heyman reported that a deal would be reached next week, so the fact that...
In order for the Red Sox to rebound in 2013, they’ll need better starting pitching. Since success on the mound often starts at the top, the club will need Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz to perform well on consistent basis.
To manager John Farrell, that means the two hurlers must “pitch to their capabilities.” Farrell, of course, coached both pitchers in the past, so he understands...
MetsBlog passes along that former Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka told Hochi Shimbun that he is now talking with the Mets, Indians and Marlins, though other teams have expressed interest in signing him this winter.
Dice-K prefers to sign a big-league contract with incentives. However, it is also likely he ends up signing a minor-league deal or could return to pitch in Japan...