Found August 15, 2012 on
Hall of Very Good:
Once in a great while, a baseball player hits the scene that, when he's clicking on all cylinders, is virtually unstoppable. Or in the case of Cincinnati Reds closer Aroldis Chapman...virtually unhittable. It's probably an understatement to say it, but the Cuban Missle's overall numbers are sick. Consider this, dude has a 1.26 ERA, a 0.65 WHIP and a staggering 106 strikeouts in 57 innings pitched. Opponents are hitting just .127 against him! Here's Mike Garrigan with the Six "Sickest of the Sick" Aroldis Chapman stats this year...in reverse order.
6. Since the All-Star Break...In Chapman's 17.2 innings pitched since the All-Star Break, his ERA is 0.00. He's allowed just ten baserunners and has struck out 35 of the batters he has faced.
5. The Best Hitters Have the Worst Numbers Against Him
Number three hitters this year are batting .100 against Chapman with 14 strikeouts in 20 at bats. Number five hitters are hitting .074 against him with 13 Ks in 27 at bats. And number six hitters are struggling even worse...batting just .037 with 16 punchouts in 27 at bats.
4. Perfect Outside JuneIn the month of June, Chapman was 0-4 with a 6.97 ERA...eight earned runs in 10.1 innings pitched. In every other month the lefty is 4-0 with a 0.00 ERA. He has 86 strikeouts in 46.2 innings pitched and has allowed just 26 baserunners.
3. With Two Outs and Runners in Scoring Position...Hitters are 0-23 against Chapman with no RBI and 16 strikeouts. And to think...some people say there's no such thing as "clutch".
2. "Oh" Outside of OhioOf the eight earned runs Chapman has allowed, six have come at home at Great American Ballpark and just two have come on the road...giving him a 0.57 road ERA for the season. However, both of those road earned runs came against Cleveland. Meaning...dude has yet to give up an earned run outside the state of Ohio.
1. Intraleague DominanceSeven of the eight earned runs that Chapman has given up have come during 5.1 innings of interleague play. That means, he's allowed just ONE earned run against his own league in 51.2 innings pitched! This amounts to a 0.17 ERA against the National League. So what can Pittsburgh Pirates catcher Michael McKenry claim that no one else can? He is the only player in the ENTIRE National League that has an RBI off the Cuban Missle thanks to a tenth inning double on June 7 that scored Clint Barmes.
How can you not give this guy the Cy Young award? Not only is he the best in the National League, he's this close to being PERFECT against them. And he's doing it for a first place team. Just food for thought.
BEST OF MAXIM
The Cincinnati Reds and Jay Bruce are both streaky.
When both are hot, Cincinnati is awfully difficult to stop.
Bruce, who has homered in three straight games, looks to help the Reds post their fifth winning streak of at least six games this season Thursday night while completing their second consecutive sweep of the New York Mets.
Scott Rolen and Todd Frazier hit back-to-back home...
If you missed the first eight and a half innings of the game between the Reds (70-46) and Mets (55-61) on Tuesday, you didn't miss much. However, if you missed the bottom of the ninth, you owe yourself an apology.
That's because with two on and nobody out, Jay Bruce belted his 23rd homer of the season to propel Cincy to a 3-0, walk-off victory before 26,113 delighted...
The score remained 0-0 in the bottom of the ninth until Jay Bruce came through with the 4th walk-off homer of his career to give the Reds the win in the series opener with the Mets.
Mat Latos started for the Reds and was lights-out. … [visit site to read more]
The opener between the Cincinnati Reds and New York Mets at Great American Ball Park was scoreless until the game's final pitch.
The Reds could again have some trouble offensively going up against R.A. Dickey, who seems to have returned to form following a rough patch.
The NL Central leaders hope to carry some momentum from a thrilling win into Wednesday night and prevent Dickey...
CINCINNATI - Reds outfielder Jay Bruce figured it was only a matter of time. Cincinnati squandered several scoring opportunities through the first eight innings on Tuesday, going 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and leaving 14 on base. Bruce reversed that trend with one mighty swing in the bottom of the ninth. Bruce's three-run, walk-off home run off Josh Edgin...
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Scott Rolen and Todd Frazier hit back-to-back home runs, and Mike Leake pitched his second complete game of the season, helping the Cincinnati Reds extend their win streak to five with a 6-1 win over the New York Mets on Wednesday night.
Jay Bruce homered for the third consecutive game, helping the first-place Reds improve to 21-8 since All-Star first baseman...
After taking a double shut-out into the ninth inning, Jay Bruce hit a walk-off 3-run home run to beat the Mets 0-3. Mat Latos totally kicked ass through 7.0 IP for the Reds’ fourth win in a row.
Tomorrow the Reds continue the series with the Mets, and it could be an ugly one. R.A. Dickey (RHP, 15-3, 2.72 ERA) leads the charge for the Mets, and he’s been on...
Scott Rolen and Todd Frazier hit back-to-back home runs, and Mike Leake pitched his second complete game of the season, helping the Cincinnati Reds extend their win streak to five with a 6-1 win over the New York Mets on Wednesday night.
Jay Bruce homered for the third consecutive game, helping the first-place Reds improve to 21-8 since All-Star first baseman Joey Votto was forced...
Jay Bruce homered tonight in the 9th inning (to left field) in a 0-0 tie game to win the game for the Cincinnati Reds 3-0. The win was the Reds 70th of the season. It was Bruce’s 123rd career home run. While some may have come in bigger moments when the spotlight shined brighter, we’re not sure that he’s ever truly hit a bigger one.
This season hasn’t altogether gone as...
Well last week wasn’t the best in Reds history both on and off the field however they managed to pick their game back up and took 3 of 4 against the Cubbies. We had a very special guest join us as well on the podcast. Kristine from the Fox Sports Ohio Girls
In this week’s show:
David and I look back at the week that was in Milwaukee and Chicago
Cy Young debate and Chapman’s...
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Rookie Matt Harvey drove in one more run than he allowed in the longest outing of his short major league career, and the New York Mets snapped the Cincinnati Reds' five-game winning streak with an 8-4 victory on Thursday night.
Harvey (2-3), who had lost three straight starts after winning in his major league debut, allowed one run and four hits in 7 2-3 innings...
CINCINNATI (AP) -- Jay Bruce hit a three-run homer in the ninth inning and the Cincinnati Reds won their fourth game in a row, beating the New York Mets 3-0 Tuesday night.
The NL Central leaders and the Mets were a combined 0 for 18 with runners in scoring position before Bruce connected with no outs.
Brandon Phillips drew a leadoff walk in the ninth from Manny Acosta (1-3), New...
Charlotte 5 Louisville 3
Bats (48-78), Last place International League West, 26.5 GB
-Nick Masset started and struck out four over two innings, allowing one earned run. Chad Reineke (L 5-8, 4.27) gave up three earned runs in five innings.
-DH Dioner Navarro and LF Willie Harris each recorded an RBI. 3B Mike Costanzo drove in and scored a run.
Mobile 4 Pensacola...