Spring Training officially started today. Tomorrow, it starts for the Twins with pitchers and catchers reporting to the team facilities in Fort Myers. After a tough offseason, in which the focus was on Terry Ryan and the front office, we can now look at the players and management. What can we ask the players showing up to camp tomorrow? Three for the pitchers, two for the catchers.
1) Are you healthy? We’ve… uh, had some issues with that recently. Scott Diamond already came through with a “no” and Mike Pelfrey is a mystery, as he is coming back from Tommy John. Enjoy a little bit of Sam Deduno once again.
2) Do you want to spend some time in AAA? Kyle Gibson is coming off of Tommy John surgery and will be a strong candidate to break camp with the Twins. Alex Meyer and Trevor May were acquired for Denard Span and Ben Revere and the team would love them to make the team ASAP, because otherwise, Cole Devries, Nick Blackburn or PJ Walters might be back. Ugh. Additionally, maybe Liam Hendriks isn’t going to be a grease fire on the mound again.
3) Hey, aren’t you Rich Harden? Did anyone realize that the Twins added Harden? Slipped under the radar. Well, the first two questions apply to him too. A healthy Rich Harden would be a very big boost.
1) Why are there so many of you here? Joe Mauer I get. Ryan Doumit? Oh, you’re a catcher, and not just like, a random outfielder or a fill in first baseman? All right, if you’re here, why is Drew Butera here? Are we doing this three catcher, 0 pitcher thing again? And who the hell are Chris Herrman and Josmil Pinto? They sound like Blue Jays from the late 90s.
2) WHY DO YOU SUCK SO BAD JOE MAUER?! Because he doesn’t. Don’t boo Mauer. Hitting .320 every year with a slugging percentage around .450 with so few home runs is really tough to do. In conclusion, Joe Mauer doesn’t suck.
And that’s how I will end this first little team preview. Joe Mauer doesn’t suck.