Expanded rosters give the M’s a chance to showcase the farm, hopefully give fans some hope.
Welcome to the State of the Seattle Mariners update for the 2012 regular season. In these weekly updates you will find all the information and news regarding the Seattle Mariners Baseball Franchise.Upcoming Match Ups
The M’s are currently in the middle of a home stand that includes the Red Sox and the A’s before the team departs for Toronto and Texas the following week.Recent Results
Since the 26th of August the Mariners have gone 5-4 against the White Sox, Twins, Angels and Boston. There have been some good and bad moments in each of those games but over all the M’s scored 23 runs while their opponents have scored 36 runs.
Seattle Mariners Weekly Notebook – September 5th
Pitching has been a bit spotty and the M’s of course are still working on actually scoring runs.The Good News
Outfield Options. Fans have witnessed hope filled with potential in the outfield as Trayvon Robinson has shown an all out commitment to chasing down any ball that comes within his reach, which is considerable given his speed.
Meanwhile Franklin Gutierrez has finally made his comeback to the team and of course continues to live up to his name of “death to flying things”.
With Eric Thames, Carlos Peguero, Casper Wells and Michael Saunders all legitimate options defensively as well.
The real test for this group will be who can hit well enough to hold down a roster spot in the future.The Bad News
Justin Smoak appears to be broken. The question really is, will he be broken forever? The switch hitting first baseman is supposed to be a power threat, but tallied just 10 hits , 2 RBI’s and 1 home run in August.Roster Moves / Trades
The Mariners have added 9 men to their roster so far this September. Those players are…
- Carlos Peguero (OF): A real power hitter with a bad eye for the low breaking ball.
- Erasmo Ramirez (RHP): The best AAA level starting pitcher in the M’s system at the moment.
- Mike Carp (OF/1B) (coming off a rehab assignment after doing the splits): May bump Smoak to the bench because the outfield looks pretty full.
- Luis Jimenez (DH/1B): The most consistent hitter for Tacoma this season. We will see if this can translate to the big leagues if he gets playing time.
- Shawn Kelley (RHP): A hard throwing guy struggling with control and situational awareness. Awesome sense of humor though.
- Alex Liddi (3B/ULT): A good right handed bat for the M’s with the willingness to play anywhere on the field.
- Hector Noesi (RHP): Started the year on the starting rotation, has real problems with consistency.
- Carlos Triunfel (2B): at one point the most exciting player in the M’s farm system, until he broke his leg – hasn’t been the same since.
- Casper Wells (OF): The best outfield arm of the bunch, with decent speed, but is struggling at the plate this season.
Michael Saunders is being treated carefully have a groin strain. He has not been put on the DL but has not been in the line up for several days either.Injuries Fielders Status/Updated Notes Franklin Gutierrez CF Ques Wed - Groin – 9/5/12 Gutierrez left Tuesday’s game due to tightness in his groin and remains considered questionable Wednesday against the Red Sox. Michael Saunders LF Ques Tues - Groin – 9/3/12 Sauders is still dealing with a tweaked groin and did not play Monday. He remains questionable against the Red Sox Tuesday. Pitchers Status/Updated Notes George Sherrill RP out for season - Elbow – 6/1/12 Sherrill underwent Tommy John surgery to repair a strained flexor bundle in his left elbow and will miss the remainder of the season. Erasmo Ramirez SP 15-day DL - Elbow – 7/1/12 Ramirez has been placed on the 15-day disabled list due to a right elbow flexor strain. Gossip
King Felix Hernandez was named the American League pitcher of the month for August. Jason Vargas was the pitcher of the month for July. Who is placing bets that Kevin Millwood gets the award for September… anyone?
What’s on tap this week?
CLICK HERE TO CHECK OUT THE SEATTLE MARINERS CLUBHOUSE AT NWSB!
© Danny Ferguson for North West Sports Beat, 2012. | Permalink | No comment |
Follow NWSB on Twitter or join US on Facebook for real-time updates OR... | Share This on Twitter | Share NWSportsBeat.com on FacebookPost tags: Alex Liddi, Carlos Peguero, Carlos Triunfel, Casper Wells, Erasmo Ramirez, Franklin Gutierrez, Hector Noesi, Justin Smoak, Luis Jimenez, Mariners blog, Mariners News, Michael Saunders, Mike Carp, Shawn Kelley, State Of The Mariners
Delivered to your inbox
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News|
Today's Best Stuff
Join the Yardbarker Network for more promotion, traffic, and money.
What is Yardbarker?