I really don’t know what to say. I am at a loss for words. What is there to say? There is not an answer. And if you think Anthony Rizzo is one, put down the drink right now.
I saw the movie “The Abyss” when I was young. I really don’t remember anything other than it was under water and I was scared. And watching the Cubs … well, I feel the same thing. I might not see the same thing, but it is definitely the same apprehensive fright that I recall lo those many years ago.
So, we have to start somewhere, so let’s get rambling …
• I haven’t written since Kerry suddenly, but not unexpectedly, walked away last Friday.
• I have read all the comments, arguments, discussions, etc. He may not have lived up to expectations, but expectations are not promises. They are hopes and dreams.
• He lived up to the promises of being a great teammate, a great man, and a great member of society. Those are the things in which he had 100% control. That is how I choose to remember him.
• You are entitled to your opinion.
• I am right, though.
• It worked so well with the managers, so I say it is time for a “College of Closers,” you know, if the Cubs ever have a need to save the lead in the 9th.
• However, I don’t even remember what that looks like anymore. I remember that losing streak in 2002. It was July, I believe. They won about 8 in a row after that. Something like that. Brad Radke and Jon Lieber are the two pitchers that I remember taking roles in each streak.
• Yes, I am odd.
• No, I cannot confirm any of that information. It could be totally erroneous.
• “Erroneous! Erroneous on both accounts!”
• Name the quote and you win a “feel good about yourself” award.
• I live in Lakeview. I work in the Loop. It is 8:06 on Thursday night. For the past two and half hours, I haven’t heard police and fire sirens for about 11 minutes.
• There must be a hot, holiday weekend approaching in Chicago.
• That is the only explanation because the Cubs are sure and heck not on fire.
• Is Bryan LaHair a left-handed Pedro Cerrano when it comes to the breaking ball? Or is this just a slump? We shall see.
• The defensive play Starlin made was fantastic.
• Tony Campana’s dive was just outstanding.
• Nothing else has been good.
• Sorry, The Shark pitched very well on Wednesday night. You can’t really fault him for the two runs on a bloop double.
• Derrick Rose did not make any All-NBA teams. That is the equivalent of Chris Volstad being named the All-Star game starter.
• Congratulations to one of my best friends on becoming a father for the first time on Thursday! You know who you are. Welcome to the world J.G.A.
• So big Cubs fan The Rahmfather embarrasses himself during a radio interview by calling the great third baseman Ron Santos. Then the next day he says there is not issue with the rumored Joe Ricketts PAC ad.
• Travis Wood, your new go-to pinch-hitting pitcher.
• Through 44 games, the Cubs have started 5 different catchers.
• If I had a contact at Elias, I would look into this further to see if there is a similar occurrence.
• I don’t have a contact at Elias.
I could go on, but none of it is pretty or enjoyable. So I will end it here. I wish each and every one of you a very happy, safe and sound Memorial Day weekend! Enjoy it!
And until next time …
Stay Classy Cubs Fans!!
Delivered to your inbox
You'll also receive Yardbarker's daily Top 10, featuring the best sports stories from around the web. Customize your newsletter to get articles on your favorite sports and teams. And the best part? It's free!
|Best of Yardbarker||NFL News||MLB News||NBA News||NHL News|
Today's Best Stuff