Found March 23, 2013 on
Sports by Colin:
With Cincinnati’s suits finally making a decision, Reds flamethrower Aroldis Chapman will remain the team’s closer this season. The 25-year-old Chapman (5-5, 1.51 ERA), who defected from Cuba in 2009 and signed a six-year contract worth $30.25 million with the Reds in January 2010, saved 38 games in 2012. “We made a decision on our rotation. It’s (Johnny) Cueto, (Mat) Latos, Bronson (Arroyo), Homer Bailey and (Mike) Leake,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. General manager Walt Jocketty further explained the organization’s wise choice to keep the 6-foot-4, 200 pound Chapman in the bullpen. “It was like last year,” Jocketty said. … Continue reading →
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
It's decided: Leake in rotation, Chapman to be closer #reds
— Mark Sheldon (@m_sheldon) March 22, 2013
Jocketty: There was no big in-house debate. #reds #cincienquirer
— John Fay (@johnfayman) March 22, 2013
As you can see above from the tweets of the esteemed Reds beat writers, Aroldis Chapman will officially be the Reds closer in 2013 and according to John Fay...
Aroldis Chapman recently said he preferred to pitch in the bullpen rather than be converted to a starter, and it looks like he'll get his way.
Aroldis Chapman signing on Opening Night 2012.The news we were expecting came today, and it’s what I’d feared, the Cincinnati Reds are not the forward-thinking organization that statistics-aware fans wish they were. Instead of seeing if they’re $30 million investment could become a great starter–what they initially scouted him for–the Reds bowed to the whims of manager...
Someone in the Reds organization is severely confused. After making a point all offseason that Aroldis Chapman would be given a chance in the starting rotation, it has officially been announced the Chapman will be back in the closer’s role for 2013, according to the Cincinnati Inquirer. That might just be the best place for him, as he’s clearly proven to be dominant in that role...
One of the biggest — yet best — dilemmas in baseball this offseason resides in Cincinnati, and it looks as if the Reds have come to a decision.
According to The Cincinnati Enquirer, barring any last minute changes, the Reds are expected to announce that Aroldis Chapman will move back to the bullpen and serve as the team’s closer.
This news seems to end months of debate about...
GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- The Cincinnati Reds say closer Aroldis Chapman will remain in that role.
The Reds set their rotation on Friday and Chapman isn't included. He came to camp with the possibility of becoming a starter, but will stay in the bullpen for the NL Central champions.
Johnny Cueto will start on opening day at home against the Los Angeles Angels on April 1. He will...
One week from today, the Reds will be playing host to the loaded Los Angeles Angels at Great American Ball Park for their season opener. It's going to be a festive occasion full of pageantry, tradition, and dreams of what the new season may hold. Until then, the Reds still have several exhibition games left in Arizona to endure.
Being that we are so close to commencement of...
For a team coming into spring training with little turnover in their pitching staff, Cincinnati has been the topic of a lot of questions recently regarding indecision on plans to convert closer Aroldis Chapman into the rotation. Now it appears that he will resume getting most of his action in the ninth inning and Mike Leake will return to his job at the back end.
The weekend was full of plenty of news. First and foremost was the Aroldis Chapman will close decision. While that isn’t minor league related, it does lead to minor league decisions. That may push a “loogy” out of their role that was present with Chapman as a starter, opening a spot for JJ Hoover. Of course, there are still plenty of reasons to believe that JJ Hoover winds...
A report Thursday indicated that contrary to previous opinion, Aroldis Chapman would resume his role as closer in 2013 instead of moving to the rotation. That triggered a reaction from the Reds who denied that a final decision had been made. Within the past week Chapman made a comment indicating that he would prefer to continue protecting ninth inning leads.
“We made a decision on our rotation. It’s Cueto, Latos, Bronson, Homer Bailey and Leake.”
And with those 15 words from Reds manager Dusty Baker, fireballer Aroldis Chapman was sent back to the bullpen to begin his second season as the team’s closer.
The thought in spring training was for Chapman to crack the starting rotation so that the Reds could make more full use...
It appears that the Reds’ offense has woken up for the season. I say that just because the Reds have scored 46 runs in their last six games. The 9 they added to that total last night against the A’s, though, still weren’t enough due to the giving up of 10 runs. The pitchers may still be a little groggy yet.
Johnny Cueto had a rough time of it. He gave up 5 runs ...
Join Chad Dotson and other writers from Redleg Nation along with myself as we go on the air tonight live at 9pm EST at Blog Talk Radio. We are trying out the premium features for now, so we will be going longer than a half an hour tonight to see how it goes. We will be talking, hopefully for the last time, about Aroldis Chapman and the decision to keep him in the bullpen, Mat Latos...