Found January 17, 2013 on
Boston Red Sox
Every morning, we compile the links of the day and dump them here... highlighting the big storyline. Because there's nothing quite as satisfying as a good morning dump.
The Red Sox, according to a major league source, had some interest in Morse, a 30-year-old with prodigious power. Over the last three years in Washington, Morse hit .296/.345/.516/.861 while averaging 21 homers a season (30 homers per 162 games), including a .291/.321/.470/.791 line with 18 homers in 102 games in 2012.
However, according to the source, the Sox felt that the cost of acquisition for Morse — who will be under team control for just one year (for $6.75 million) before he is eligible for free agency following the 2013 season — was “steep” given the market alternatives (including, of course, free agent Mike Napoli, with whom the Sox continue to talk about the possibility of a deal).
Given that the Nationals received a pitcher with the upside of a potential frontline starter in Cole (albeit one who struggled in the High-A California League, resulting in a demotion to the Single-A Midwest League, where he dominated (2.07 ERA, 102 strikeouts, 19 walks in 96 innings)), a comparable prospect price from the Sox might have been someone along the lines of one of the Sox’ top tier of pitching prospects, perhaps a high-ceiling pitcher far from the majors such as Henry Owens, but more likely, a pitcher like Matt Barnes, Rubby De La Rosaor Allen Webster.
WEEI: Sox had interest in Morse
Another day, another option taken away. It seems like Mike Napoli and the Red Sox are destined to be together because at this rate, there may be no one else for the Sox to grab. Peter Abraham mentions Mike Carp could possibly work since the Mariners now have four people that can play first. Of course, Carp would be the fourth option for the Mariners behind Kendry Morales, Mike Morse, and Justin Smoak. He'd be the backup since we're all about 80% sure Mike Napoli is signing with us. If he doesn't...well then first base would be a problem in 2013.
Abraham also mentions bringing back an old friend in Casey Kotchman, the same person who went .218/1/7 in 39 games after trading him for Adam LaRoche back in 2009. He went .229/12/55 last year in Cleveland, so here's hoping that they just sign him as a backup/really crappy insurance policy. This is what's left for the Sox to pick and if they continue to just sit around then they may not even have a chance to scrape the bottom of the barrel.
Rest of the Links: Globe: Could Mike Carp be a good fit for the Sox? | Herald: With Morse deal, alternatives to Napoli keep dwindling | CSNNE: Shortstop of the future | Padilla headed to Japan | No Morse, No Cook for Sox | WEEI: Napoli resolution by next week
BEST OF MAXIM
The Washington Nationals, Seattle Mariners and Oakland A's were involved in a three-team trade that sent outfielder Michael Morse to the Mariners and brought pitching prospect A.J. Cole to the Nationals, the Mariners confirmed Wednesday. The Mariners also sent catcher John Jaso to the A's, and the Woshington Post reported the Nationals also received 24-year-old minor leaguer...
We had a feeling that this would be the last Take on Me ever heard at Nationals Park.
Today was another day that the Nationals were in the thick of things, highlighting a three-team trade that sent Micheal Morse to Seattle and A.J. Cole to Washington. The trade also involved the Oakland Athletics picking up catcher John Jaso.
The Nationals will receive right-handed pitching prospects...
The latest from the story that won't die comes from Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, who says that the Sox and Mike Napoli have made progress to the point that something is expected to be finalized next week. But that doesn't mean it's done:
Napoli is said to be talking to a couple other American League teams but the Red Sox are clearly heavily involved and may be the focus...
More than one month after initially agreeing to a three-year, $39 million contract, Mike Napoli and the Boston Red Sox have come to terms on a one-year deal that will pay him $5 million, according to a major-league source.
The initial deal was nullified when a health concern arose as part of Napoli's physical exam.
Incentive clauses in the contract could allow Napoli...
Signing Mike Napoli looked like it was going to be the Red Sox’ first big move of the offseason. Seven weeks and a few transactions later, signing Napoli might be the Red Sox’ last big move of the offseason.
If it is, it’s Ben Cherington‘s best work.
While the Red Sox began to take some heat from those insisting the club should explore other first-base options, Cherington...
Mike Napoli and the Red Sox will finally touch pen to paper on a new contract soon, sources told ESPN Boston on Thursday. Napoli and the Sox have reportedly agreed on a one-year, $5 million contract with incentives that could reward Napoli with a $13 million payout in 2013.
This news comes nearly two months after it was initially reported that the Red Sox had signed the free agent...
Mike Napoli's deal with the Boston Red Sox might be shrinking. The free agent catcher/first baseman and the team are closing in on a one-year contract, according to ESPNBoston.com. Napoli and the Red Sox agreed to terms on a three-year, $39 million deal last month at the winter meetings, but the contract was never signed, reportedly because the 31-year-old veteran failed his...
It seems very likely that Mike Napoli will be playing for the Red Sox in 2013. Speaking before the Red Sox Town Hall on Thursday, Ben Cherington would not confirm the reports that the Sox have agreed to a one-year deal with the veteran slugger, but he did seem very optimistic that something could be announced before long.
Cherington acknowledged that the Red Sox have made progress...
It’s been more than seven weeks since reports surfaced stating that Mike Napoli was Boston bound, but we might actually have a resolution relatively soon.
According to CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman, Napoli and the Red Sox have made progress and continue to try to work out an agreement after the original three-year, $39 million deal hit a snag.
Multiple reports have indicated that...
The other shoe from the Adam LaRoche re-signing finally dropped: Washington traded Mike Morse to Seattle in a three-way deal with Oakland that nets them right-handed starter A.J. Cole in return. Cole, you’ll recall, was one of the four prospect swapped for Gio Gonzalez one year ago.
After an up-and-down year in low- and high-A with the A’s, Cole has lost some of his luster, but...
After almost a month after originally agreeing to a three year deal, the Boston Red Sox and Mike Napoli have agreed to a restructured one year, $5 million deal, according to WEEI.
Napoli and the Red Sox initially agreed to a three year, $39 million deal in early December, but, after a physical, the Red Sox noticed some red flags on Napoli's nagging hip. After more than...
Catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli will sign a one-year, $5 million contract with the Boston Red Sox, ESPN reported Thursday. The deal could reportedly jump to $13 million due to incentives. Napoli agreed to a three-year, $39 million contract earlier in the offseason but the deal was off because he failed his physical. The two sides reportedly agreed to shorter terms. The Texas...
The Boston Red Sox and free agent Mike Napoli initially had a three year contract in place, a deal that is pretty much voided now because of health concerns. Even so the player and team continue to talk and work towards a new deal. Jim Bowden of ESPN is reporting that the two teams are making significant progress towards a new, one-year deal.
The Red Sox and Mike Napoli have nothing...
Front-office types give their opinions on the remaining free agents, and a look at the ramifications at the Rafael Soriano and Mike Morse deals.
The Nationals` latest move might affect their demands for Mike Morse, Scott Hairston might sign soon, and the Dodgers are looking into Scott Rolen.