It appears that the Mayor of Sacramento -- former NBA star Kevin Johnson -- is making it clear to the Sacramento Kings that the city WILL NOT
renegotiate the proposed arena deal, which would keep the basketball team from packing up and leaving the city.
According to Sports Illustrated, a letter -- which was released Thursday night -- was sent out to the Maloof family, as Johnson put pressure on the Kings and the NBA to follow up on their commitment. In the letter, Johnson said that the city has "done our part" and now it's up to the team to do the same.
Last month, the two sides -- Sacramento and the Kings -- reached a tentative deal to fund a new arena, which is estimated to be about $391 million. It's being said that the team has to sign off so that all parties in the matter can enter into binding contracts.
Sacromento Kings owners Joe, Gavin and George Maloof have taken issue with some of the financial terms of the agreement, as George Maloof has since said that he doesn't believe that the team should pay $3.25 million in pre-development cost because they're "playing the role of the talent".
Both sides are expected to meet in New York on Friday to get an agreement worked out.
It's believed that if the city and the basketball team can't agree on the terms, the team WILL MOST LIKELY
re-locate to Southern California to Anaheim.