At some point you just know that there will be an Aaron Hernandez movie. Rolling Stone put together an in-depth investigation on Hernandez and has uncovered “five shocking facts” about the former New England patriots tight end that include drug use, cover ups and almost being cut from the Pats:
• Hernandez was a heavy user of angel dust, and had become so paranoid over the last year that he carried a gun wherever he went.
• He surrounded himself with a cohort of gangsters, and cut himself off from his family and teammates.
• Hernandez had so infuriated his head coach, Bill Belichick, with missed practices and thug-life stunts, that he was one misstep from being cut.
• Both his parents, Dennis and Terri, had criminal records, as did much of his extended family.
• Terri allegedly cheated on Dennis before his death with a violent drug dealer named Jeffrey Cummings, then married Cummings after Dennis died and moved him into the house she shared with Aaron.
• In college his coach (then-University of Florida head coach Urban Meyer) may have helped cover up failed drug tests, along with two violent incidents — an assault and a drive-by shootout outside a local bar.
The two “violent incidents” have been reported before, a 2007 shooting in Gainesville, and a bar fight in which the tight end assaulted a bouncer.
Hernandez will be back in court on September 6th to be arraigned for the murder of Odin Lloyd. The NFLPA has also filed a grievance against the New England Patriots on Hernandez behalf to pay his off season work out bonus in the amount of $82,000.