Found May 20, 2013 on
Down and Distance:
Credit: USA Today
In what I believe to be a smart move, the San Diego Chargers are keeping the polarizing Manti Te’o away from the media as he begins his journey in the NFL. Via Chargers beat writer Michael Gehlken:
Per Chargers spokesman, Manti Te’o will be unavailable to speak to media until June 11-13 minicamp. “Organizational decision,” he said.
— Michael Gehlken (@UTgehlken) May 20, 2013
This news was first reported by our colleague at Black Sports Online, Robert Littal. He seems to think it’s a bad move by the Chargers to keep Te’o from the media, as he believes it will just make them pry more. However, I have to disagree with Robert. The last thing Manti Te’o needs is another media sandstorm while he prepares for OTA’s and training camp.
Being harassed by the media comes with the territory in the NFL, and it will happen to Te’o sooner or later. But given his recent history with the media, I think later is much better than sooner in this instance. Let the guy focus on getting his career going in the right direction before we worry about his happenings with the media. I have to think Te’o is relieved that the Chargers are protecting him from the media, because he has bigger fish to fry like proving his critics and doubters wrong about his ability on the football field.
The post Chargers keeping Manti Te’o away from the media appeared first on DOWN & DISTANCE - Presented by Sports-Kings.
BEST OF MAXIM
AROUND THE WEB
Former CAL and recently drafted wide receiver of the San Diego Chargers Keenan Allen is going to have to learn that you don’t wear a division rivals’ apparel. A recent photo of Allen wearing an Oakland Raiders cap surfaced and it doesn’t look good for the rookie one bit.
It may have been a joke photo, or Allen is genuinely a Raiders fan from his time going to CAL that is...
The San Diego Chargers agreed to a two-year deal with free
agent pass rusher Dwight Freeney yesterday, according to Ian Rapoport of
Source: #Chargers have an agreement in principle for a 2-year deal with Dwight Freeney
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) May 18, 2013
Freeney’s new contract with the Chargers will pay him $8.75
million over the next two seasons. The agreement...
According to Josina Anderson of ESPN, the San Diego Chargers of signed free agent offensive lineman Max Starks.
Max Starks just sent me a text telling me he is going to the Chargers.
— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) May 21, 2013
Starks is a solid player that will help strengthen a weak Chargers offensive line.
Need NFL Tickets?
The post Chargers reportedly sign Max...
The San Diego Chargers won't be making rookie linebacker Manti Te'o available to the media until team's June 13 mini camp according to Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego. The move is an effort to shield Te'o from negative media attention relating to the scandal of Lennay Kekua, his fake ex-girlfriend. To be clear, as most of you know, Te'o was the victim in the...
Free agent cornerback Quentin Jammer was perfectly blunt Sunday when he addressed the media at a charity golf event – he has no intention of retiring and would absolutely welcome the possibility of returning to San Diego once more in 2013.
“I know there was speculation about me retiring. I’m, like, who said that?” Jammer said on Sunday after playing in the Celebrity Championship...
Left tackle Max Starks agreed to a one-year contract with the San Diego Chargers to help protect Philip Rivers' blind side.
Starks, who is 6-foot-8 and 345 pounds, spent his first nine seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He played every offensive snap for the Steelers last year despite tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the Steelers' playoff...
Love. Affection. Comfort. All things that a guy will often look to receive (as well as give) his girlfriend. For obvious reasons San Diego Chargers linebacker Manti Te'o can't get that from his former 'love' Lennay Kekua. His famous fake better half is doing one better though--and will likely have other guys wishing they had former fake girlfriends too!
Josina Anderson received a text from OT Max Starks that mentioned he’s signing with the San Diego Chargers.
Starks mentioned that he signed a one-year deal with the team.
The Chargers have been in contact with offensive tackle options in the past few weeks, so it’s not surprising to see them some additional help.
Starks, 31, spent a number of seasons with the Steelers, but...
The San Diego Chargers are keeping Manti Te'o off-limits to the media - for now.
The star linebacker was barred from speaking with reporters at the Chargers' second open session of organized team activities.
That doesn't mean Te'o isn't out and about.
Maxim confirmed Monday that Te'o attended a party last week in Hollywood after the magazine included his...
Keenan Allen learned the hard way that it’s a bad idea to offend your fanbase by wearing the hat of a rival team. Allen, a North Carolina native, played his college ball at Cal and was drafted in the third round by the San Diego Chargers last month. The wide receiver shared a video on Vine of himself eating at In-N-Out burger, but he was wearing an Oakland Raiders hat in the video...
SAN DIEGO — Manti Te’o isn’t hiding out. He’s just not talking to the media.
After being spotted attending a party thrown by the magazine Maxim last week in Hollywood, Te’o was back in San Diego at the Chargers’ second open session of organized team activities on Monday.
For the second straight week, the former Notre Dame linebacker was barred from speaking with reporters...
The Chargers signed LT Max Starks to a one-year deal Tuesday. Was it a late offseason steal or an act of desperation? To find out, we chat with SteelCityInsider.net publisher Jim Wexell. He analyzes Starks' game in detail and calls him perhaps "the most under-appreciated player in Steelers history."
Are the Chargers missing a golden opportunity while Quentin Jammer remains unsigned? Is Tom Telesco better off leaving Max Starks for somebody else to acquire? Which position groups are set up for the most intense offseason battles? These answers and more inside this week's Bolts Notebook.
The San Diego Chargers are keeping Manti Te'o off-limits to the
media - for now.