ASHBURN, Va. — Donte Stallworth has a simple way of explaining what it’s like to be riding in a hot air balloon that clips a power line:
“It felt exactly like the cartoons,” he said. “When you see people getting electrocuted on cartoons, that’s exactly what it felt like.”
Except that it’s not funny. The veteran NFL receiver suffered serious burns in the accident three months ago. He since has recovered and is expected to sign this week with the Washington Redskins after taking part in Tuesday’s minicamp practice as a tryout player.
Stallworth said a balloon ride was on his then-girlfriend’s bucket list, so he surprised her with it for her birthday. The two-hour ride was smooth until the balloon hit the power line while coming in for a landing.
“Literally, my butt caught on fire,” he said. “And she was on fire as well.”
Both were airlifted to a hospital, but not before he burst out laughing while in the ambulance, much to the bemusement of the emergency workers.
“Ten years of play